How far ahead do you plan? (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I know that many on the forum plan trips or meets 12 months or more ahead. I have never planned any trip or holiday that far ahead.

In fact I have planned very little in my life.

I have been self employed most of my adult life and most decisions, business and personal have been opportunistic or reactionary.

I have ways been a positive person, glass half full, but always aware that life can play tricks on you and to take nothing for granted.

How far ahead do you plan?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its a trick the glass is always full .
but sometimes only air.
i think i plan ahead along way but allow for deviations . but dont know what i shall do tonight never mind tomorrow . the plan is no plan . dont do today what you might not do tomorrow.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
If it makes sense, we pencil in plan but things can always be changed to suit what arises at the time, planning to go to Morocco Jan next year, but it can change.

Tend to book a couple of shows like Malvern and Stratford and work a trip out around the area we are in but flexible.

If we are at home and the sun comes out we can be off in a couple of days.

Like you we were self employed for 30 years and things had to fit around that, being retired nothing is ruled in or out, as I say getting older has to have some advantages.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
I used to book a few days in advance

Booked three weeks ahead with Swindon Ccc

Couldn't go owing to shoulder probs

Lost my deposit which hurt as much as my shoulder

Will now book the evening before or on the day

Don't mind spending money hate losing money

Still considering leaving Ccc to be honest

Wouldn't mind if it was held pending a different date

But to lose it just seemed wrong :cry:

:Blush::Blush::Blush:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
If it makes sense, we pencil in plan but things can always be changed to suit what arises at the time, planning to go to Morocco Jan next year, but it can change.

Tend to book a couple of shows like Malvern and Stratford and work a trip out around the area we are in but flexible.

If we are at home and the sun comes out we can be off in a couple of days.

Like you we were self employed for 30 years and things had to fit around that, being retired nothing is ruled in or out, as I say getting older has to have some advantages.

We do something similar ,however nothing ever is set in stone.Im self employed also and never know whats around the corner .I do know im busy for best part if not all the rest of this year and she who knows best is planning for us to take next year out to go on travels,But that could all change yet.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
... about an hour ... :RollEyes:

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Like to keep it loose....we'll go to Italy in the spring....or go to Spain next winter etc...but never book anything in advance and always just turn up or ring up on the day if it's a busy period.Always tend to go where the weather is best once we're out.Don't want to be bothered about having to be somewhere at a certain time if it doesn't suit us...life's too short to worry with that.Rarely fall foul using this non plan and when we do it's all part of the adventure.:thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Don't tend to make to many plans as only end up breaking them we can decide on. Friday morning if we fancy heading off for the weekend, we do plan when going to certain events or meeting up with friends.

Our summer holidays are set due to my work this year they start last week of July so far we have nothing booked although we roughly know we want to visit Slovenia apart from that we will book the tunnel about a week before and then just head in that direction.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Skiing holidays about a year in advance. I am paranoid about losing the choice of hotel etc. Anything else tends to be a bit random, we have leave booked to go to Belgium in August to watch a motocross Grand Prix and will do a week of floating around France possibly after that. I used to work on Saturdays but no more so on a Friday it is ......right where are we going ( in between motocross of course!! ) :roflmto:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
::bigsmile:If its events such as the Great Dorset Steam Fair, or the recent Crick Waterways Show, then I book a year in advance and plan it accordingly::bigsmile:

If its weekends away, I usually check I have the leave and book a well in advance so as to secure a place. However I have 2 weeks leave planned in August, just before the Steam Fair and as yet I haven’t even made up my mind where I’m going, which side of the Channel I’ll be on and who I’m going with, which is a first for me. After an entire life of detailed planning, I’m just going to get in the motorhome and see where it takes me:thumb:

A rebel or what:Cool::Cool:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
For over thirty years I've been given a timetable in September which tells me who I'll be working with and what I'll be doing with them on an hourly basis day by day until the following July. Each hour a bell rings to tell me to move on to the next part of the timetable. I've known when my bad days will be and when my good days will be up to 9 months in advance.

Small wonder then that when we go abroad in the MH, all we book in advance is the return ferry ticket.

As retirement beckons I'm looking forward to my daily life becoming a lot less bloody predictable.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
For short/medium term I like to have a roughish plan for the year. ie which country which month etc. However the last 4 years have been hell with all my plans shot to pieces....

I haven't really planned my long term stuff. But funny you should mention it I was just thinking about my career path and every trade/job I have had has become extinct or not worth doing within 3-5 years. My current trade has lasted me the longest so far 14 years but I am looking at the way the business is going and I only see perhaps 5 more years of it... I am trying to think about what to do next and I am stumped at the moment...
I think I will need to diversify and have multiple mini businesses and grow/dump them as things change. Just applied for my import number....

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
For over thirty years I've been given a timetable in September which tells me who I'll be working with and what I'll be doing with them on an hourly basis day by day until the following July. Each hour a bell rings to tell me to move on to the next part of the timetable. I've known when my bad days will be and when my good days will be up to 9 months in advance.

Small wonder then that when we go abroad in the MH, all we book in advance is the return ferry ticket.

As retirement beckons I'm looking forward to my daily life becoming a lot less bloody predictable.

Teaching then? People constantly say....how lucky you are to have all that holiday.....they really have no idea. And I am only a teaching assistant. I love paying extortionate prices for my holidays :(

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
We are always happy to welcome guests, whether booked or not. Where it is a return visit and a specific pitch is requested, then clearly a booking is essential, but for others who will accept any pitch then come and welcome.
There is one situation that is most difficult for us, which is when there is an booking and the guests simply do not show up without any phone call to say they are not coming. We know that this is a problem for many campsites in the UK and on the continent, and we would plead with all Funsters to set a standard on this - if you ring ahead a day or two (or longer) in advance and intend to visit, then if your plans change please ring the site and say so.
Bob
www.parcverger.com

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I know that many on the forum plan trips or meets 12 months or more ahead. I have never planned any trip or holiday that far ahead.

In fact I have planned very little in my life.

I have been self employed most of my adult life and most decisions, business and personal have been opportunistic or reactionary.

I have ways been a positive person, glass half full, but always aware that life can play tricks on you and to take nothing for granted.

How far ahead do you plan?

Ferry ticket only, about a month ahead. Then we set off with a vague idea of a possible destination.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
We are always happy to welcome guests, whether booked or not. Where it is a return visit and a specific pitch is requested, then clearly a booking is essential, but for others who will accept any pitch then come and welcome.
There is one situation that is most difficult for us, which is when there is an booking and the guests simply do not show up without any phone call to say they are not coming. We know that this is a problem for many campsites in the UK and on the continent, and we would plead with all Funsters to set a standard on this - if you ring ahead a day or two (or longer) in advance and intend to visit, then if your plans change please ring the site and say so.
Bob
www.parcverger.com

I'm right behind you on this, it must be soooooo frustrating to spend time, energy and money on meeting people's requests only to be let down and possibly loosing money in the process grrrrrr:Angry:

Do you take a contact number from them and then embarrass them when they don't bother turning up:thumb:

I can understand that there will always be the odd instance whereby someone is delayed for reasons out of their control, but at these times, people should contact you and give their apologies and that way you could release a pitch to someone else:thumb:

Thanks for the post, I'll put your site in my visit list and see you sometime in the future::bigsmile:

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Weekend getaways are usually decided Thursday or Friday.
Ralph's self employed and i never work Fri, to Mon. So weekends can even be decided Saturday morning , " sod it , lets get off !" type thing.
Propper holidays like this years , Crete for a couple of weeks in August with the kids , and our 3 week trip to the Maldives in January have to be booked in advance.
Ralphs mum comes to look after the dogs (and also the kids whilst we are away in January) :smalllove:.

Never been to a caravan/motorhome show yet, once we are nearer doing our van conversion , we shall be booking a couple to check out different panel vans . So we can pick up ideas and get the layout which will be right for us.
We do book selected meets on here well in advance , like Whitby Goth , Misterton and Saltfleet as they fill up quick .
Once work isnt in the way and our little panel van is on the drive , there will be no stopping us getting off when we want.
Except money and family ties i hear all you more mature members yell :winky::ROFLMAO:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I plan to hoover and polish the house now , then put my bikini on and sunbathe in our back garden all day today:Cool:
Its going to be another scorcher:thumb:
Byeeeeeeee::bigsmile:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
The only long term planning we do is booking a ferry early to get cheap fares. Otherwise all planning is done with a very soft pencil, and it always changes. As I used to tell my squad, make a plan, even if you don't stick to it.

Most of our trips are ad hoc. Setting off tomorrow heading for Dover for Friday and then south from Calais. Two weeks later, back to Calais and then on to Southampton to see granddaughter for the weekend. Make our way home after that visiting a few folk on the way.

Don't know exactly where we'll go in France but wherevere it is it had better be warm!

Rgds
Bill

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I wish i planned more--
Then i wouldn`t have to organize my choas later:cry:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We plan to a certain extent because of having to take into account hospital appointments but nothing hard and fast, flexible enough to change with circumstances.

At the beginning of this year we weren't going to go to any shows but were going to do several trips of a month or more using THSs. Change of circumstances means shorter trips and other adjustments. As a result, we've already been to Peterborough and are booked in for Shrewsbury & Malvern with less THS use.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back