Free Member
May 31, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
hello, this is the first time I have used one of these computerthings .apart from looking at things of interest so here we go .at the moment we, thats me and my better half live on a narrow boat full time but if we get another summer like last summer we will be thinking of motorhoming full-time in Europe. Does anybody know of a good site or blog that shows the cost of fulltiming? we dont have loads of that money stuff so it will be aires and wild camping,and no eating out every night. We are thinking of maybe a hymer A Class with fixed rear bed, costing about £25,000.
We would be interested also to know how much it would cost to run this vehicle? We don't intend to cover thousands of miles in a year.
How have I done in my first venture into anything other than browsing!!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
loads of info on this site if you search .or go to the sister site motorhome 365.
lots do fulltime . lots long term in m,homes . lengthy discussions have been had . how much ,where etc .
i say get a truck do your own conversion . cheaper . and a bit more stealth sometimes . fire away any questions . welcome to the fun .

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Welcome to fun

:welcome:

Join for £10:00 It will be the best tener you could spend.
There is so mutch help on here its hard to believe.

You are doing ok :thumb:

Mel & Lieve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I'd say first look at plenty of vans to see if you think you could live in one, layout you prefer, type of kitchen equipment you need ( oven, grill or not? Etc..)

I have a fitted bed and think now it was a mistake. Takes up a lot of space that could be better used, plus my pets can jump onto it. ( as far as I know they can't climb ladders so an over-cab bed would have been better for me)

Storage room. You need lots when you full time as you're carrying winter and summer clothes and footwear, bedding etc..

Go to a large dealer or a show and try out all the vans you can.

And although I wouldn't be able to start with my own conversion, it is an idea worth considering, especially as you can look less conspicuous.

In Europe it is also possible to swap your skills for accommodation. Look at helpx.net and http://www.workaway.info/. Having your own accommodation can be a benefit but you'd get free electric, water and meals in exchange for work.

Good luck, whatever you choose to do.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
depending on your expected lifestyle and how often you tour etc you can look at around £10000 to £14000 per year.

site fee's, fuel, food, drink, repairs, eating out etc

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and welcome to motorhome fun, you have chosen the right site for answers to your questions, first of all we get between 24 and 30 miles to the gallon depending on road and driving,.

Most Hymers have very comfortable drop down beds, so why use up valuable space with a fixed bed, Keep asking the questions there are a lot more people out there fulltimeing than you might think. Great way to explore UK and Europe.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It's possible to fulltime from less than £8,000 a year. But realistically £10,000 is a good starting point. From then on it depends what you do and how. You could blow through my annual budget in a week if you wanted to :winky:

The vehicle really depends on what you want. I am in a self build that cost me £2,300 to buy then I spent about £2,000 to make it liveable and have been upgrading it ever since.

However it is very compact.

OP
OP
C

canalboatjohn

Free Member
May 31, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
help !!

help . how do I reply ? my wife jac is sitting at the side of the canal [kennet and avon ] drinking wine and cant be bothered to help me :Angry:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Underneath the post you will see post reply, click on that, a new window will open type your reply there, then scroll down to submit answer , hopefully that should do it. :Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi and welcome :thumb:Best to spend a tenner and become a full member then you get to ask as many questions as you like (probbaly the best tenner you will spend:thumb:) Layout is the most important thing as you will already know with the boat so get out there and look at as many vans and layouts as possible - rough idea a van with a luton will return aprox 20 to 24 mpg low profile around 26/30 van conversion 30 to 34 ish -yank rv 8 to 12 mpg::bigsmile:but lots of room :Smile:
terry

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Does anybody know of a good site or blog that shows the cost of fulltiming?

Fulltiming costs £40,000 a year.

Or it costs £2,000 a year.

Or £100,000 a year.

If you can afford to fulltime in a narrowboat, you can afford to fulltime in a van.

Some people choose to fulltime in a house :Eeek: but it is much cheaper to fulltime in a motorhome.

It costs as much as you choose to spend :Smile:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Welcome to the madhouse of Funsters::bigsmile:

You really can find any info you need right here on this site. As already mentioned, spend the ten quid and become a member and the rest will be much easier. Just ask the questions on here and you’ll soon get an answer:thumb:

As to what type of motorhome, you really do need to get out to a show and see all the different varieties that are available out there. Even if you decide to do a self build, a visit to a show is a must, just to give you the ideas and styles you can aim for, what type of kitchen, toilet, shower etc etc etc:Eeek:

Also, now your sussing these computer thingies, go onto Autotrader and eBay and just view what’s available along with the prices and pictures as you'll get a good idea from there, then decide whether you want to go new (not much for £25K new I’m afraid) or second hand, only watch out for scammers, I lost £5800 to a scammer and never got my money back:cry:

The next thing to do is get to a meeting as there’ll be lots of people eager to show you around their homes, give you guidance and advice and then you’ll get to see what’s available and gain experience and knowledge in the process:Smile:

Last option would be to hire one for a while and see if its what you want, like and need and then you’ll go in with your eyes wide open:Eeek:

Whatever you choice, welcome and good luck. Keep us posted as to your progress too:welcomefunster:::bigsmile:riving2:

OP
OP
C

canalboatjohn

Free Member
May 31, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
thank you all .the better half will not let me spend 10 pounds today ,and asking me what I will get for the 10 pounds ,I guess that will be her scottish roots causing me problems again.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
help . how do I reply ? my wife jac is sitting at the side of the canal [kennet and avon ] drinking wine and cant be bothered to help me :Angry:
err you just did, if you mean to a specific post in the thread hit quote post.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
well for £10 you get the chance to see Jim smile. Apart from that you only have 5 posts free I think, you will also have access to the full search engine, admission to rallies cut price on lots of motorhome acessories savings on rally fees, cut price motorhome show fees etc. Access to the chatroom oh and you will make Jim smile did I mention that:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
C

canalboatjohn

Free Member
May 31, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Underneath the post you will see post reply, click on that, a new window will open type your reply there, then scroll down to submit answer , hopefully that should do it. :Smile:
thankyou ,now have Ijust replied to YOU or everybody ? will Iever get my head around this computerthing ,it usedto be so simple with a telephone

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
You've posted your reply so we can all see it, therefore if you ask a question you'll get lots of replies.
Best £10 you'll spend, for the vast experience you'll benefit from and the daft humour.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
thankyou ,now have Ijust replied to YOU or everybody ? will Iever get my head around this computerthing ,it usedto be so simple with a telephone
You've replied to everyone . If you want to reply to Carol , click on her avatar, that's her name box pic at the left hand side. That way you can PM her . That's personal message.
You will get the hang of it. Hey , I can type with both hands now. Not just 1 finger :ROFLMAO:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Sounds to me your other half, "the Boss " ain't to keen to leave the Water behind:Sad:

Would suggest you get her on board, before you make any decisions you might regret later

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
strangely enough i know several folk with narrow boats and campers .
seems to be the way these days .

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
What a silly question
Can you afford NOT too?

I started two years ago. Best thing I have ever done :thumb:::bigsmile:

Just sell your property like I did. Get a great RV. And don't look back
If all goes tits up you can always sell the RV. And go back to paying silly money
To an over charging authority and greedy bankers

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: but you have to jump in first :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
So many talk the talk. But never walk the walk
Scaredy cats ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
Yours Ian

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i find its not cheaper to live fulltime . far cheaper to keep the house and park in my drive in summer . far cheaper than campsites . i also rent a room to a lodger that pays for all the running costs of the house . mind depends where you live i suppose .
having tried fulltiming years ago long terming is much better. winter in the sun . then come home and have winter. ha ha .

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
i find its not cheaper to live fulltime . far cheaper to keep the house and park in my drive in summer . far cheaper than campsites . i also rent a room to a lodger that pays for all the running costs of the house . mind depends where you live i suppose .
having tried fulltiming years ago long terming is much better. winter in the sun . then come home and have winter. ha ha .

I do that too
Off to mojacar Spain in November for 18+ weeks :thumb:
Nice Private villa
Any one interested in sharing for winter own room private bath room share costs? pM me for details :thumb:
Maybe two ladies would like to share. Ok I live in hopes he he he

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
My living costs for the last 5 weeks have been £80 per week fully inclusive.
This includes literally everything I have spent. I have taken £80 cash out on the Sat and this has lasted me till the next saturday... Includes laundrette, beer, ciggies, food, lpg and diesel. The only extra that has come out of the bank account was my insurance....

No way could I have cut my costs that much if I still had a house. Best thing I ever did was sell it.

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
My living costs for the last 5 weeks have been £80 per week fully inclusive.
This includes literally everything I have spent. I have taken £80 cash out on the Sat and this has lasted me till the next saturday... Includes laundrette, beer, ciggies, food, lpg and diesel. The only extra that has come out of the bank account was my insurance....

No way could I have cut my costs that much if I still had a house. Best thing I ever did was sell it.

That is impressive budgetting. Are you wild camping, or have you found a very cheap CL? I have not bettered C@CC club, as I am old codger on My own. Have just spent some time in Minehead, £7.70 a night with EHU.::bigsmile:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
£80 a week Gromett?

Throwing it around a bit aren't you?

You must be buying too many rounds down the pub!!!

:ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

PS. Take away the cost of any long trips and I full time over here well for that sort of money. But very few site fees... no cigs... and very little beer... oh... and only me...

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi gromett .thats about my weekly costs as well .
i find the lodgers money covers house costs and heating leccy etc .
in fact in summer i can gain as i use the solar from the truck to power items in the house.i do think that a m,home could lose money . new ones about 10grand a year . yet a house can gain that much in a good year.
plus you get extra storage for m,bikes and toys . ha ha .

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
That is impressive budgetting. Are you wild camping, or have you found a very cheap CL? I have not bettered C@CC club, as I am old codger on My own. Have just spent some time in Minehead, £7.70 a night with EHU.::bigsmile:

Wild camping. Parked on the road near mums house while I look after her.
It does require plenty of solar power but it is doable. I could do this all summer but If I didn't have access to the manhole at the back of mums house I would need to stop on a campsite once a week to fill/empty.

£80 a week Gromett?

Throwing it around a bit aren't you?

You must be buying too many rounds down the pub!!!
:Cool:
Getting out to the pub every other night. 2 bottle of newcastle brown each time :thumb:

hi gromett .thats about my weekly costs as well .
i find the lodgers money covers house costs and heating leccy etc .
in fact in summer i can gain as i use the solar from the truck to power items in the house.i do think that a m,home could lose money . new ones about 10grand a year . yet a house can gain that much in a good year.
plus you get extra storage for m,bikes and toys . ha ha .

I tried renting my house out and it ended up costing me over £10,000.
The tenant wrecked my house big time. Plus I had a mortgage.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back