Ducato TomTom.... Not that way!! (1 Viewer)

Dec 9, 2012
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Caravaning / boating / motorhoming for 20+ years
Thought you may like to see a photo we took of our built in Fiat Ducato Blue & Me TomTom 2 on a road near Balmoral. Clearly we did not take the turning to the right (muddy unmade road). Generally we have found the TomTom to be quite good, better than google, Navfree or apple sat navs..... but when it does make a mistake, they tend to be pretty obvious.... so far. Love the fact that it comes on / off automatically when the engine is started switched off. Easy to input destination. No shortest, quickest, RV, van options, but when we have had this choice before it seems to make little improvement to route options.
Ian

Attachments

• DSCF3849a.jpg
    DSCF3849a.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 96

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Thought you may like to see a photo we took of our built in Fiat Ducato Blue & Me TomTom 2 on a road near Balmoral. Clearly we did not take the turning to the right (muddy unmade road). Generally we have found the TomTom to be quite good, better than google, Navfree or apple sat navs..... but when it does make a mistake, they tend to be pretty obvious.... so far. Love the fact that it comes on / off automatically when the engine is started switched off. Easy to input destination. No shortest, quickest, RV, van options, but when we have had this choice before it seems to make little improvement to route options.
Ian

We occasionally get the same sort of error with our Snooper but normally only if we have taken a wrong turn and it is trying to get us back on the right road.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
You most likely have the TOM TOM set to the shortest route or even maybe the quickest route...But if you get anything like that and your destination is not the Aire, Farm, site you need to be on just carry on till it finds the best route suitable for your van:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We occasionally get the same sort of error with our Snooper but normally only if we have taken a wrong turn and it is trying to get us back on the right road.

Now that's interesting because, in a discussion on the Caravan Club forum a few weeks ago a representative of a company selling Snoopers claimed "The snooper units use commercial mapping where the road widths have been measured" (my emphasis) and "the snooper units do use navteq mapping but this is not the car sat nav maps, it is the commercial maps which are much more detailed and takes into account exact dimensions and not just legal order restrictions. ".

I've since tried to get a straight answer from Navteq to the questions "Have Navteq measured the widths of all roads in the UK or not and, if they have, is the width data for all roads included in the map database supplied to navigation systems for large vehicles?" and am still awaiting an answer (last Monday was the last time I was in touch with them).

However, I see that the text on the Snooper web site now states "Snooper Ventura is a range of completely unique gps enabled devices designed specifically for caravan and motorhome use. Enter the dimensions of your vehicle and Ventura will calculate a route that is practical and safe, avoiding legal height, weight and width restrictions." (again my emphasis).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back