Made the decision! (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Up to now, I was thinking that having a van of my own was really stupid and an evident waste of money.

I have 25 days off a year to be taken on working days so not including Saturdays and Sundays. I have 4 different employers (3 pairs of mums and dads as a childminder , and Latécoère boss as the warden of the stadium).
To make them agree on the days off I choose is just hell!
As a warden I work every day very early in the morning (checking the buildings , lockers, lights etc...)and in the evening up to 10pm, in case people need me for any kind of emergency; and fulltime on week ends!

So I always thought: buy a van ? what for? I have no way to escape! No week ends, holidays are with JJ in hymer...So what? insurance all year? what for ? looking at the van getting all rusty? Nah!!! I'm fine with my car + tent!

I still think it's going to be a waste of money on the principle , but I intend to ask my boss to give me one week end off a month as he is not allowed to refuse it since I work 7/7 which is against the law and I'll try to make this new option well worth every free second I can find.

The more it goes the worst it is. Even when I have days off it seems that the only words I can manage to say are 'I'm tired'! It's about time I do something to have some good time at least once a month!

Having had recently bad news about my best friend Lyli's health (which led me to take her to Scotland with me) , I thought that it would give me as well the opportunity to take her away from problems and let her enjoy the fun of motorhoming!

So there... I'm ready to buy a van. I will start looking for one with JJ here in Toulouse when he comes in July to have an idea of what they look like here . But I must say that I am fond of German and English ones. I love the autosleepers (Harmony Symphony types).

So if you hear about one little one LHD with a drop bed on a max budget of 5000 pounds (I've got to keep my money for the bigger motorhome I'll buy when retired) or less if it has things to do on it, then please let me know. I can't manage to do this in a hurry for the same reason I've started this post with... no hols! So can't go and have a look every single week . I rely on you assuming I'll be in the UK in Malvern area in August.

If you want a good idea of what I'm really looking for , here the one I fell in love with, that Dave (Snowbird) found ... how he knew this one was the one ... I haven't got the clue but this is what he said “I think this one could have your name on it” and I felt exactly the same: Bright, clean, good layout for me, a bathroom, drop bed, and the possibility to have another big bed!

Link Removed

As I was about to loose a contract with a baby I didn't want to take the plunge...but it really is the one ...pity!

I hope I'll find mine before the end of the year ... may be as a Christmas present:winky:!

Thank you all if you can help, don't forget I can't manage any buying before end of July/beginning of August so no rush!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

PS: I don't have my little devil Owen today ... and gosh how peaceful it is here today... I don't believe I could type all this without hearing a yell!!:roflmto:

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Good luck
Even just one night away is a change to every so is very
Refreshing

Some times I would only drive seven miles from home to be by the sea :ROFLMAO:
One night then home late the next day. Yet I felt I had had a two day brake
( maybe the alcohol helped :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)

Go for it :thumb:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
As above, we have a nice beach site 14 miles from us, dog loves it. There are no shops, pubs or anything, just peace and quiet. Best of luck in your search.

Rgds
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Will keep an eye open over here in UK for you Frankie but not many left hookers around but as you say no rush :thumb::Smile:
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
t this one Frankie but RHD Link Removed
terry

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have always thought the Hymer 544 was a great starter van. It is also the one you can pick up in reasonable nick quite cheaply.

good luck with your hunt :thumb:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I [STRIKE]think[/STRIKE] know you are making the right decision Frankie, life can be too short sometimes to worry about work all the time, so get out there and enjoy yourself.

We have owned a couple of Autosleeper vans and very good they were too ... but I'm fairly sure they don't normally build LHD so you would be unlikely to find one.

Good luck with your search Frankie and hope we shall meet one day in the UK or in France from where we have just returned today.

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp

Very good little site , might be of some help, thank you!
For having seen quite a few romahomes at Shepton Mallet and asked to the dealers my most important question .."do you make them with LHD" I know the answer is no, unless I order one brand new. May be there's one somewhere wich will be on sale who knows!! But quite nice other vans anyway!

Will keep an eye open over here in UK for you Frankie but not many left hookers around but as you say no rush :thumb::Smile:
terry

I am very aware of this ! On the other hand (if I may say::bigsmile:) when on sale they are far cheaper , so worth a try!

t this one Frankie but RHD Link Removed
terry

VERY NICE ...you got the idea ... but indeed I need it to be LHD.. It would be a bit stupid , knowing that I'll be more in France or Europe than in the UK. And I didn't see any shower I think... Lyli has 2 doggies ... shower is a must for us as for her 2 girls::bigsmile: But I really like the size of the van!

Something like this?

Cheers

Waoooo this is a real nice one too, a bit big though but i like the idea that the one sleeping in the upper bed , can reach the toilets without having to jump over the lower bed and the people sleeping in it!
Have to keep an eye on this... Really good that I saw a drop bed can be used the other way round. first time I see one

I'm going to love searching I think ... ::bigsmile: Thanks for showing me what you find .I must say I m not very good with eBay, and a bit scared as well to meet the wrong people!!:Angry: Too many thieves on the net!

Amicalement

Frankie:Cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
I [STRIKE]think[/STRIKE] know you are making the right decision Frankie, life can be too short sometimes to worry about work all the time, so get out there and enjoy yourself.

We have owned a couple of Autosleeper vans and very good they were too ... but I'm fairly sure they don't normally build LHD so you would be unlikely to find one.

Good luck with your search Frankie and hope we shall meet one day in the UK or in France from where we have just returned today.

I have met the Autosleepers dealers who were at Shepton, and like the romahomes dealers, they said they didn't do the LHD. But they gave me more hope as they said they knew a few had been ordered (probably from another country) with RHD . So may be sometime they would be on sale. I have to learn how to use eBay properly!

Thanks for telling me anyway

Amicalement

Frankie:thumb:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
frankie im not sure if this is right but from what i have been told is that a lhd in the uk would cost less than a rhd and the same for france but the other way round so yes the best deal could be here not there good luck and will keep my eyes and ears open

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
Hi Frankie,
mine,s a LHD ,I will be looking for a bigger one next year again a leftlegger.
This may be over your budget but looks clean and tidy and of course,worth a haggle:Smile:
cheers pete

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp

Thanks for the link Tofo , had a look already and I saw a few interesting ones! Must put it in my favorite so I keep up with the new items to be sold!

Link Removed
MADE FOR YOU
terry

Quite a good one yes ! Right size for me, good lay out, good price as well which allows a few changes such as the window and solve the fridge problem+vent And LHD!! Not asking for more indeed!!!::bigsmile: :thumb:
What a shame I can't go to England right now, I could have a better idea of it! Things you can guess like ...smells... The way the engine starts, or the way the pics were taken (may be to avoid any other prob to be seen by buyers).
Thanks for the good search!!:Smile:

Hi Frankie,
mine,s a LHD ,I will be looking for a bigger one next year again a leftlegger.
This may be over your budget but looks clean and tidy and of course,worth a haggle:Smile:
cheers pete

Always worth a look and keep an open mind. If the budget had to change , then it would mean the van has to last longer. I can consider any option indeed!

I guess the one you gave me the link to is not yours... is it a similar one?

Thank you for your help!

Amicalement à tous

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Don't worry Frankie we will find you one better than that :thumb:it was just that it was made by FRANKIA for Frankie ::bigsmile: Needed a bit of work but it is also cheap --Have a look at Snowbirds new purchase :winky::thumb:
Broken Link Removed
terry

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Frankie, It just so happens that at this very moment am sitting having a bite to eat at Newport Pagnel, on route to Hanover to pick a camper up now. You know I will find something for you when your ready. I only spoke to a prince about it last week.

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Just a thought seems like the colour you like

Link Removed

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Have you tried on here .=

Waooo ... pinky one hey? LOL ! I like pink stuff but this one a bit too much.....it's very girly girly . Mind you... very hippy and quite unlikely to be stolen... too noticeable I would think! Funny yes , but even so...thanks for the nice try!

French link goes mainly to...GERMAN vans:roflmto::winky: either in Germany or on the french/german border

Thanks again:thumb:

Amicalement

Frankie::bigsmile:

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Link Removed
:Smile: terry
edit .
deffo not 2003 though prob around 88 ish
Alittle over budget but

Last edited:

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
hello again frankie,
Mine,s not on the market yet so the link i sent was from a general search on adtrader.
Here are some more but on gumtree this time:
Link Removed
Perhaps this ?:
http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-...ull-mot-creditdebit-cards-accepted/1020379479
Happy hunting.
pete
looking at the first link there seems to be at least one thats underpriced,so be very careful and take some advice (i,m sure you will)
this is suspiciously low:
http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-...-sunseeker-25-diesel/1020523140#photo-content

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Link Removed
:Smile: terry
edit .
deffo not 2003 though prob around 88 ish
Alittle over budget but

hello again frankie,
Mine,s not on the market yet so the link i sent was from a general search on adtrader.
Here are some more but on gumtree this time:
Link Removed
Perhaps this ?:
http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-...ull-mot-creditdebit-cards-accepted/1020379479
Happy hunting.
pete

I've just spent half an hour dreaming away! Fortunatly no specific activity today at the stadium which allows me a bit of quiet time!

All these links help me a lot to know what I like best . Up to now I find Hymers are really best options , so nice and good make inside. Then I guess a german engine is best but may be you think different... ???

Also I know I don't want an automatic transmission! I like to drive vroommm vroommm ... a bit childish I know, but hey no one is perfect::bigsmile:!
If I could avoid capucine it would be even better. Each time I see one , I can feel the wind trying to go over the roof and the engine being in pain (and my purse just the same because of petrol expenses!). Now if the engine is good and the inside is good , then I will go over it, and have a capucine...you can't have it all and at a low price , so I will be reasonnable if needed of course!!:Blush:

Never thought I would have such a choice in that range of price!

I think I better have a coffee now to calm down a bit:RollEyes:

You are all really good!!! Ta!!

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
I've just spent half an hour dreaming away! Fortunatly no specific activity today at the stadium which allows me a bit of quiet time!

All these links help me a lot to know what I like best . Up to now I find Hymers are really best options , so nice and good make inside. Then I guess a german engine is best but may be you think different... ???

Also I know I don't want an automatic transmission! I like to drive vroommm vroommm ... a bit childish I know, but hey no one is perfect::bigsmile:!
If I could avoid capucine it would be even better. Each time I see one , I can feel the wind trying to go over the roof and the engine being in pain (and my purse just the same because of petrol expenses!). Now if the engine is good and the inside is good , then I will go over it, and have a capucine...you can't have it all and at a low price , so I will be reasonnable if needed of course!!:Blush:

Never thought I would have such a choice in that range of price!

I think I better have a coffee now to calm down a bit:RollEyes:

You are all really good!!! Ta!!

CAREFUL FRANKIE

There are some funny People run Hymers
strange types that eat Pies of dubious origin
wear silly blue shirts (Sorry sky blue)
and live in clearings in the woods
:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
I don't know what you're talking about! I could run a Hymer , I do eat Pies and I know where they come from: Tesco:RollEyes:...ask Shifty! I wear silly [STRIKE]sky blue[/STRIKE] PINK stuff (and don't ask which team it is ... none of your business... it's a secret one anyway) and my friends call me the wild pig (No won't tell you why either!)

And your point is Sir??

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Don't worry Teddy , I look tiny and fragile BUT I'm a big shark:Cool:

Amicalement

Last edited:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Toulouse FC For the Pink Strip

Link Removed

Will work out Piggy bit when I see You at Stratford Or Malvern:winky:

I have an Idea But??:Eeek::Eeek:

Bagneres-de-Luchon ??2010

Last edited:
M

Madwife

Deleted User
There is an old scottish saying "what's for you won't go past you" so don't worry if you cannot buy one just now as the right one will be there for you. :Smile:

Kath ( and Howie)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back