rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Been staying in North Norfolk for the week. Weather was great for the weekend, getting a little foggy and wet now, but meant to brighten up before we leave.

Reason for posting - we ate at the Blue Boar in Great Ryburgh last night and it is highly recommended if you are in the area. Food was high quality and perfection on a plate. Hosts were really friendly too!

Wells-next-the-sea is a farce! The sea is miles away!!!:ROFLMAO:
They even built a road to take you to the waters edge!! People are nice though!

Cromer had some great weather - mind the Pier Cafe is woohoo expensive, with pretty poor service. Sandwiches and tea over £20, they said it would be quicker to get your drinks at the takeaway counter as the wait was only 20 minutes there. The cafe had more people waiting for service than anything, and at only 50% capacity was struggling. We ended up eating at a local muck truck as the two hour wait for 'whatever we have left' sandwiches was too much! People were nice though!:thumb:

King Lynn was a funny place, lovely historic buildings, thought the towns change from thriving port to much poorer town is very evident. In law was on her buggy, and unlike other areas of Norfolk, no-one gave her any courtesy at all - even shop staff. Lovely old port and some stunning old architecture that really does need to be seen.

Off to lavender gardens and heacham tomorrow - cockling apparently!:thumb:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Yes, Kings Lynn is a funny old place!::bigsmile:

And at least 25% Eastern European!:Eeek:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
must admit hard to hear english being spoken some times in kings lynn. cley bird reserve is worth a look , you can bird watch from the cafe if your inlaw is a chair. ivory55

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
We did go to ....sculthorpe? nature reserve near fakenham today. Would be a nice day out in better weather - unfortunately it seemed most of the wildlife was on holiday this week as well. We did get to see a bug, but mother didn't as it had landed on the back of her head!:ROFLMAO:

Lots of twitchers there though!

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
at cley is a nice cafe for coffee and cake. they have binoculars on demo that you can use or try for looking at the birds. it has a lift for chair users to get up stairs. ivory55

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Been staying in North Norfolk for the week. Weather was great for the weekend, getting a little foggy and wet now, but meant to brighten up before we leave.

Reason for posting - we ate at the Blue Boar in Great Ryburgh last night and it is highly recommended if you are in the area. Food was high quality and perfection on a plate. Hosts were really friendly too!

Wells-next-the-sea is a farce! The sea is miles away!!!:ROFLMAO:
They even built a road to take you to the waters edge!! People are nice though!

Cromer had some great weather - mind the Pier Cafe is woohoo expensive, with pretty poor service. Sandwiches and tea over £20, they said it would be quicker to get your drinks at the takeaway counter as the wait was only 20 minutes there. The cafe had more people waiting for service than anything, and at only 50% capacity was struggling. We ended up eating at a local muck truck as the two hour wait for 'whatever we have left' sandwiches was too much! People were nice though!:thumb:

King Lynn was a funny place, lovely historic buildings, thought the towns change from thriving port to much poorer town is very evident. In law was on her buggy, and unlike other areas of Norfolk, no-one gave her any courtesy at all - even shop staff. Lovely old port and some stunning old architecture that really does need to be seen.

Off to lavender gardens and heacham tomorrow - cockling apparently!:thumb:
Lovely part of the world, my second home. I think you are being a bit unfair with Wells-next-to-sea, park in the car park then walk over the sand dune and you have the most gorgeous beach. You will pay a fortune for one of the sort after beach huts. On a sunny day when the tide is out walk across the river and find yourself a water filled sun bed in the sand, absolute bliss. :Cool:

OP
OP
rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Lovely part of the world, my second home. I think you are being a bit unfair with Wells-next-to-sea, park in the car park then walk over the sand dune and you have the most gorgeous beach. You will pay a fortune for one of the sort after beach huts. On a sunny day when the tide is out walk across the river and find yourself a water filled sun bed in the sand, absolute bliss. :Cool:

Wells was tongue in cheek! Just made me laugh when you pull up to the quay, and look through your binoculars to find the water! Mother swore the tide did come in, it certainly goes out some way! Very nice area though! We did drive down, though with hindsight using the little train looked like a cool option!:thumb:

We got lost in Norwich too - I say lost, we followed the signs. Lovely city, bit mad though - seemed the cabbies were all running red lights and swerving around pedestrians trying to cross. Old town streets were great - so many fantastic buildings and history.

Defo a nice part of the country - mother in law is a Norfolk Gal, so we have been round some of her old haunts - though many had changed so much she was getting quite disturbed - she thought King Lynn looked awful without the ships she remembered docking there.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Norwich is a right pain for us drivers, in fact it's that bad that I'm sure the village idiot in planning / highways who has been responsible for changing all our roads, one way systems and adding pedestrian area's around the city has obviously never owned a car ,driven a car and positively hates them, I can honestly say that nearly every time I bother driving into the city either a road has been closed to traffic, the one way system has been changed or there are tables and chairs in the middle of what was once the road. One other thing there is absolutely no free parking anywhere, meters popped up overnight and many roads on the outskirts now have permit only parking. Have to say though Norwich is well worth a visit despite the local authorities attempts to put any visitor off and making it as difficult as possible, there is so much to see and lots of medieval buildings and so much history it's untrue, also there are many museums and art galleries that are all worth taking the time to check out.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2012
North Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Panel van conversion
Exp
since 2011
Norwich is a right pain for us drivers, in fact it's that bad that I'm sure the village idiot in planning / highways who has been responsible for changing all our roads, one way systems and adding pedestrian area's around the city has obviously never owned a car ,driven a car and positively hates them, I can honestly say that nearly every time I bother driving into the city either a road has been closed to traffic, the one way system has been changed or there are tables and chairs in the middle of what was once the road. One other thing there is absolutely no free parking anywhere, meters popped up overnight and many roads on the outskirts now have permit only parking. Have to say though Norwich is well worth a visit despite the local authorities attempts to put any visitor off and making it as difficult as possible, there is so much to see and lots of medieval buildings and so much history it's untrue, also there are many museums and art galleries that are all worth taking the time to check out.

Have to agree that Norwich is really worth visiting, but we use the very good park and ride network , so much less hassle! :thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I agree with Buttons nothing wrong with Wells next the sea. We live in Norfolk and even though relatively local, Wells is a favourite of ours.
We pitch at Pinewoods which is part of the Holkham Estate and the walks through the pine woods and dunes and onto the beach are lovely. If the tide is in lots of quite shallow paddling, if its out you can walk out for miles across flat sands and even do some cockling :thumb:
A walk into town along the sea wall or take the miniature railway to a small functioning fishing port, a variety of small shops , pubs and lovely seafood, fish and chips and a weekend market all add to a pleasant place to be. On the way back try the pitch and putt.:thumb:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Have to agree that Norwich is really worth visiting, but we use the very good park and ride network , so much less hassle! :thumb:
Not much use to us whilst working and picking up parts during the week, and the one in Costessey isn't open weekends don't know about the others though.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Anyone looking for a site not too far from Norwich could do a lot worse than Swans Harbour (.) at Barford. Only £14 a night with lecky and within (energetic) cycling distance of park and ride and Norfolk Showground.

Paul

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I agree with Buttons nothing wrong with Wells next the sea. We live in Norfolk and even though relatively local, Wells is a favourite of ours.
We pitch at Pinewoods which is part of the Holkham Estate and the walks through the pine woods and dunes and onto the beach are lovely. If the tide is in lots of quite shallow paddling, if its out you can walk out for miles across flat sands and even do some cockling :thumb:
A walk into town along the sea wall or take the miniature railway to a small functioning fishing port, a variety of small shops , pubs and lovely seafood, fish and chips and a weekend market all add to a pleasant place to be. On the way back try the pitch and putt.:thumb:
Indeed it is Larry, another of my favourites is Blakeney spent weeks their crabbing when the kids were small. Still enjoy walks from there across the marshes. We had a weekend in the Blakeney hotel recently, great weekend:thumb:

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
We've just come back from West Runton...the C & CC site there.....great site and the walks into east Runton, Cromer and Sheringham were good even tho they did do my knees in...

It was the constant fog that eventually drove us away a day early...but we love Norfolk....Wells next the sea, Hunstanton, Great Yarmouth love them all :thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back