Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
We thnk we've found the almost perfect motorhome, not bad after only a few weeks searching! Only thing is it is left hand drive. Now I have no problem driving one (in theory) but am worried about any issues that might arise and am unsure if the resale will be hard because of this. Obviously we don't plan to sell it any time soon if we go for it, but then we thought that about the last two we bought too!!.
Are left hand drive vans worth considerably less?
Any experience anyone has wil be great.
Cheers

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Having left hand drive is quite an advantage.

1. You're on the right side everywhere except the UK.
2. If it's a European A-class van then everything is on the right side (our drivers door is on the passenger side as we are RHD).

Disadvantage is that the resale value will be lower, but this should be reflected in the price you pay so no real loss.

Given the choice, I would go for LHD if available in the right van.:thumb:

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
I purposely look for Lhd as I reasoned that I rather drive a Lhd in uk where I am familiar with the roads than a Rhd in Europe where I am not so .
Did find driving in Europe much easier with my Lhd mh since
There is a blind spot driving in uk if you come out of round about at an angle which have to be aware off . Other than that , no problem at all .
As for value, not noticed a lot of difference while I was looking. Brought mine privately.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Left hand drive

Our last van was LHD and as far as driving was concerned I never had any issues(after the 1st half an hour). Occasionally, turning left at junctions left me with a blind spot because of sitting on the other side, but I got round this by positioning the van at junctions as square as poss so I could lean forward for a good look to the Right.If you have a front seat passenger it's no problem. Make sure you are indicating left so no impatient twit tries to cut along your left side. I never went over the water in it but I can only assume it would have been a bonus.
The only reason our current van is RHD is because it was a good price. Which side the wheel was on was not on our list of considerations.
Don't be put off by LHD.
Cheers,Bob.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
We set out to find a LHD van. I really enjoy driving it abroad and it's no problem here once you get used to accommodating the RH blind spot. Mirrors and careful positioning help here and I'd rather have the problem in the UK than over the water.
I have never noticed any significant price reduction for LHD; have a look at this website - most are LHD and they are not exactly cheap. (Good dealer by the way - we bought from them.) Link Removed

I just wish the UK would change over and match our neighbours - it seems a bit odd to be one of the few countries driving on the left. Surely far more Britons are likely to drive in Europe or the USA than are likely to drive in Japan, India or NZ for example, so a switch would make life easier and safer all round. :thumb:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
We thnk we've found the almost perfect motorhome, not bad after only a few weeks searching! Only thing is it is left hand drive. Now I have no problem driving one (in theory) but am worried about any issues that might arise and am unsure if the resale will be hard because of this. Obviously we don't plan to sell it any time soon if we go for it, but then we thought that about the last two we bought too!!.
Cheers

I love LHD motors
With a big motor home it helps to keep your speed down:ROFLMAO:
Cos you can not see where ya going he he he

Only joking

Apr 13, 2013
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Ours is LHD and bought out of choice as most of our time is spent in Europe. Downside is that OH does all the driving as I don't feel confident driving 8.5m with the steering wheel on the wrong side! Auto gearbox also makes things easier.
As far as resale value - the internet (and in particular Ebay) makes everyone in Europe your potential buyer, so depending on the Euro exchange rate, you have a much larger audience and can sometimes get more pounds if the rate is good.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
We bought our LHD Hymer last year and have recently returned from a couple of months in Europe. As everyone else has said; driving abroad is a breeze as your on the 'right side'. Negotiating toll booths that I've done towing a caravan is also so much easier as well (and backing out when you've chosen the wrong line!).

In the UK I have not had any problems...there not something you rush around in so no issues about overtaking etc. Also, unlike a caravan it does not really matter which side doors are on as you can pitch front in or reverse!

Save a few bob...go for it! You will eventually get over trying to change gear with the door handle!

Dave

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
All my vehicles are LHD.:ROFLMAO:

Mel

Same here Mel...all mine have been LHD.....but of course we live over here:RollEyes::winky: where they drive on the right side...pardon the pun:RollEyes::ROFLMAO: but saying that a lot of the motorhome people do come over to here to France, Belgium, Spain, Portugal etc... for there holidays....then you have to ask yourself...how many miles will you actually do..3000,..5000,..10,000 a year in the uk,...not a lot is it...
When we go back to the uk in the motorhome for about two months... we don't find it any problem :thumb:......
Plus if you are gong to loose any money on the resale of a LHD in the uk you must have saved money when you purchased the LHD in the UK

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
When we looked for out last van we actively went looking for a left hooker .. When in the UK you are on home territory and used to the way everyone drives.. When over in Europe the left hand drive is a BIG advantage !

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I dont have a problem with either here or in the UK.

When I lived in the UK I found you get as mutch for a LHD as for a RHD.

Most Motorhomers travel to Europe{some dont know they are there now :ROFLMAO:}

So the most milage is on the right LHD could be a Godsend IMO.

If its the right motorhome for you thats more important than the RHD/LHD question.

Whatever you by good luck and enjoy it.

Mel{meor}

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
We bought our LHD Hymer last year and have recently returned from a couple of months in Europe. As everyone else has said; driving abroad is a breeze as your on the 'right side'. Negotiating toll booths that I've done towing a caravan is also so much easier as well (and backing out when you've chosen the wrong line!).

In the UK I have not had any problems...there not something you rush around in so no issues about overtaking etc. Also, unlike a caravan it does not really matter which side doors are on as you can pitch front in or reverse!

Save a few bob...go for it! You will eventually get over trying to change gear with the door handle!

Dave

Dave I think the saying goes.......UK is in Europe:Doh:.....in it:thumb::winky::winky:

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks for all the replies so far. They have been a great help. Thinking if we can get it for the right price we'll likely to go for it.
Didn't think there was such a thing as an A class with bunks and more than 4 belted seats, but it seems that there is :Smile:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
LHD

Hi

Our first TAG axle was a left hand drive but I do prefer RHD. The LHD was worth less but it was on a Swift motorhome which are 99.99% RHD.

I suspect a LHD Hymer or Burstner would not have as greater differential as they are more common etc.

What make are you looking at?

Russell

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Hi

Our first TAG axle was a left hand drive but I do prefer RHD. The LHD was worth less but it was on a Swift motorhome which are 99.99% RHD.

I suspect a LHD Hymer or Burstner would not have as greater differential as they are more common etc.

What make are you looking at?

Russell

Looking at an a class laika

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Our last van was LHD and as far as driving was concerned I never had any issues(after the 1st half an hour). Occasionally, turning left at junctions left me with a blind spot because of sitting on the other side, but I got round this by positioning the van at junctions as square as poss so I could lean forward for a good look to the Right.If you have a front seat passenger it's no problem. Make sure you are indicating left so no impatient twit tries to cut along your left side. I never went over the water in it but I can only assume it would have been a bonus.
The only reason our current van is RHD is because it was a good price. Which side the wheel was on was not on our list of considerations.
Don't be put off by LHD.
Cheers,Bob.

Please be aware of the frort seat passenger information. I have never forgotten an incident in my first year of nursing. A young girl was paralysed after moving out from a junction on advise from her mother. That all clear can change so quickly.

Lin

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
LHD

Like so many others I wish we drove on the right but can you just imagine the chaos if we tried to do it over the course of a weekend like the Swedes did on 3/4 september 1967? I realize the roads in the UK now are very different to the roads in Sweden then but we would need working parties, think tanks, referendums, debates in Parliament and then a vote by which time apathy would have set in and the coalition would never agree on principle !
I would definitely consider a LHD if it was a nice van.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Could someone ask the people that live in cornwall.

To all try and agree which side to drive on:ROFLMAO:

Mel

herbies

Free Member
Apr 17, 2013
somewhere in south devon
Funster No
MH
hymer b694
Exp
LHD

we live about 10 miles from plymouth , so for us its down the road and offski. dont really like UK motorhoming etc so a good idea in the main to go LHD.
hope this is helpful and good luck.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Dave I think the saying goes.......UK is in Europe:Doh:.....in it:thumb::winky::winky:

almost......

A few reasons why I say that...

We drive on the left...not the right
We have the £..not the €
We measure distance in miles, not kilometers
We measure speed in mph, not kph
We have the English channel making us an island not belonging to any other country

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
if you are touring Europe a LHD is pretty much essential IMHO, I wish I had bought one and will swap to one on my next purchase. In any case you can fit a cheap Ebay wide angle car reversing camera system to the blind spot area like I have on my RHD. This works pretty well although my camera could do with being higher.:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
doesnt really matter .i used to buy lhd vehicles because they were cheaper . also drive rh drive all over europe . its still no bother . you soon get the hang of it . i spend 6 months of the year abroad .so 6 months would be wrong anyway. i like rh drive in eu .i can get out right on to the pavement .

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
Cheers
leave well alone left hand drives are very hard to sell you could lose a lot of money steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back