enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
Our double skillet arrived today and Sue is attempting to roast a whole chicken and getting frustrated a bit. Any advice would be really apreciated.:winky:

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Our double skillet arrived today and Sue is attempting to roast a whole chicken and getting frustrated a bit. Any advice would be really apreciated.:winky:

Heat both sides of pan first
Did you get the diffuser. If so use it and cooks on very low heat. If no diffuser just keep heat as low as possible. No extra oil or liquid.
Keep lid on to keep heat in and make sure pan with lip is on bottom.

Lin

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Like Lin says heat both sides of the pan though don't get it to hot, once it is quite warm put the chicken in and bring it up to the heat as the fat won't be running out yet, turn the pan over a few times until the fat starts to run, then just let it cook away.

Don't forget keep it on a very low heat once it is hot, it should keep its heat, should take about a hour to cook depending on the size of the chicken, the skillet does cook them beautifully.

If you have not got a diffuser, I would get one, you can pick them up at any hardware store for a couple of pounds.

Hope you enjoy it.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
enery8

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
Heat both sides of pan first
Did you get the diffuser. If so use it and cooks on very low heat. If no diffuser just keep heat as low as possible. No extra oil or liquid.
Keep lid on to keep heat in and make sure pan with lip is on bottom.

Lin

I have got a diffuser, haven't used it, (no idea how at present). Chicken was cooking 45 mins and not bad but pale, not browned properly on top but now know how to deal with that next time. Will brown breasts first then lay flat and leave it to cook untouched. Have covered again and left it for more time, so far about half hour. Will check it soon/ Juices are clear but its not as tender as when I cook them in the oven. I have got one cooking in the oven as will so will see which is best later.
Does the diffuser lay over the gas flame and under the pots?
Thanks for help Sue

OP
OP
enery8

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
Like Lin says heat both sides of the pan though don't get it to hot, once it is quite warm put the chicken in and bring it up to the heat as the fat won't be running out yet, turn the pan over a few times until the fat starts to run, then just let it cook away.

Don't forget keep it on a very low heat once it is hot, it should keep its heat, should take about a hour to cook depending on the size of the chicken, the skillet does cook them beautifully.

If you have not got a diffuser, I would get one, you can pick them up at any hardware store for a couple of pounds.

Hope you enjoy it.:Smile:

Thank you Carol, I had heated both pots when I oiled and warmed them as a first time user but let them cool again while preparing the chicken when I only reheated one. Next time.....
We did buy the diffuser as we had read what others said.
I have just taken the chicken out and it looks as if it will fall apart, so looks well cooked.
Sir told me not to turn the pans because the instructions said not meat because of the juices so I listened to him, :-( Will write down your tips to remind me next time.
Thank you very much for your help,

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Sue, the diffuser just put it over the gas ring then pans on top, it does help a lot with pies and things, but as you get the feel for the skillet you will be able to judge for yourself.

If you are cooking a piece of Lamb or Beef I put the potatoes in with it, but not with chicken. I have had mine 9 years and just had a new one in case I can't get one when this one wears out.

OP
OP
enery8

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
Sue, the diffuser just put it over the gas ring then pans on top, it does help a lot with pies and things, but as you get the feel for the skillet you will be able to judge for yourself.

If you are cooking a piece of Lamb or Beef I put the potatoes in with it, but not with chicken. I have had mine 9 years and just had a new one in case I can't get one when this one wears out.

Sounds good, I am never cook potatoes in the same pot as chicken as its jelly like juices rather than good tasty juices.
9 years now thats a good reference.
With yours and Lins help and seeing the end result I am already feeling more comfortable with it. Now hope it tastes as good as the one done in the oven which had rosemary sprigs laid on top while cooking.
Have taken notes for the future, many thanks, :Smile:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I find it helps to spatchcock the chicken or if a small leg of lamb,bone it out and butterfly it.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I managed to get a 2nd hand one a couple of weeks ago but have only cooked one meal in it so far - fish - it was very nice too. Tried baked spuds but think I had chosen ones far to big as they too ages, ended up cutting them in to wedges, they went nice and crispy though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back