Moving up to Motorhome (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Hi all, new to this site, looks pretty useful.

Years ago we had a VW Type 25 campervan, more or less built it myself, had some great fun in it when the kids were little.........But when they became teenagers it was not cool to be seen in the van with mam and dad. So the van went !!

Now we're a bit older (50s) and want to get back on the road, we want more space than the VW had, even tho it'll be mainly just two of us, so we're looking for a Motorhome.

Problem is, our drive will only take a motorhome of max 6m, which limits us a bit. We like the look of the Chausson S3 for its space but would welcome any advice about a motorhome which has 4 travelling seats, would sleep two adults and two kids (or four adults), is 6m or less long and in the price bracket of up to £30,000. If anyone has any suggestions, be nice if you'd put an approx. mile per gallon figure in as well, ta.

Geordies

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp

Years ago we had a VW Type 25 campervan, more or less built it myself, had some great fun in it when the kids were little.........But when they became teenagers it was not cool to be seen in the van with mam and dad. So the van went !!

Now we're a bit older (50s) and want to get back on the road, we want more space than the VW had, even tho it'll be mainly just two of us, so we're looking for a Motorhome.

Problem is, our drive will only take a motorhome of max 6m, which limits us a bit. We like the look of the Chausson S3 for its space but would welcome any advice about a motorhome which has 4 travelling seats, would sleep two adults and two kids (or four adults), is 6m or less long and in the price bracket of up to £30,000. If anyone has any suggestions, be nice if you'd put an approx. mile per gallon figure in as well, ta.

Geordies

Hi Geordies and welcome back to the world of motorhoming. It's a good question to ask, however you'll get honest answers, but they'll be slightly biased towards what we run so to speak. Best suggestion is to get yourself to a show. Go sit in all the models, styles, shapes and lengths and see what's best for you, be it fixed bed, U shaped rear lounge, rear bathroom or kitchen, bunk beds etc etc etc. I spent 2 years looking cos I wasnt in a huge hurry, but did 2 shows and spent a lot of time on Autotrader and eBay, just viewing all the different models. The result was that I got exactly what I wanted with the first make and model:thumb:

Good luck with the search and welcome aboard ::bigsmile::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Geordies,

30K is plenty, so is 6m, especially if you go for an A class where the internal space is utilized a little better than most coachbuilts (C Class)

C Class
motorhome.jpg

The A Class like the one below (Hymer B544) sleeps 5, two double beds and a single and comes in under 6m
Hymer_B544_2004.jpg

Welcome to the fun :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Welcome to the club
I have had many motorhomes over 30 years
I now run an American RV for my sins

The one word of advise I can give
if you need to ask how many miles per alon will I get. Then you should be asking should I really get a motor home
The cost will not be cheap. As none are streamline. Racing cars
All are. Brick walls in high winds
At the price you are looking. There are many good and bad.
If you look at second hand. Any age over 3 years old. Think about. Water ingress due to old seals braking down at all joints. Walls/ Roof walls / floor
Wet. Will kill every home. Don't think it will dry out
No matter how good it may pull your hart strings WALK away
Yours Ian

Last edited:
M

Madwife

Deleted User
Welcome to the fun. :welcomefunster:

Kath and Howie

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi and welcome to fun, I can see you have been given good advice already, I was going to suggest Hymer 544, but can see Jim beat me to it. We run a similar one and get a average of 25/30 mpg depending on road conditions.

If you are buying from a Dealer check out its a good one who will look after you after the purchase, if its on e bay look out some scams on there regularly.

John Cross is one Dealer who I have not yet heard a complaint about. Do check out different lay outs, check for storage, BQ's / outside tables and chairs / will you want to carry bikes.

Good luck and ask as many questions as you want some one usually has a answer. :welcomefunster:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Hello :thumb:

Happy shopping, keep us updated with your choice - hope you find what you're looking for

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp

Geordies

You can have my RV for £30K ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back