LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Well after several years of motorhoming as a a family I will be taking my two lads to the USA for a few weeks in August.

Plan is simply flights to Boston, pick up hire car, drive to aunties for a few days them off up to Canada and Niagra falls.

A dream holiday with no Wife :Sad:

However, this is all new to me,

Years since I booked a flight ,,,proving a little more expensive than I anticipated.

What's the best way to get cheap flights?

What's the trick ?

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
http://www.cheapflights.co.uk/flights/USA/

Try this or something similar ?
Why isn't Nickie going Paul , does she not like flying ? I vaguely remember you saying this was the reason you didn't fly , i think.
I get magic pills from the docs to get me through. :Blush: Has she ever tried them ?
I never used to be bothered before having the kids and have flown abroad since being a child my self. But got nervous and panicky once the kids came along. Whilst Ralph and the kids were getting more and more excited about going I'd be getting more and more stressed.
When Ralph and i went to Australia without the kids , on a reccie , i was fine. :RollEyes:
So i shall get some more pills for the family holiday in August . Hopefully not needing them for the Maldives in January , cos the kids are not going with us.

I hope you can persuade her to go , it sounds like you have a fab time planned out for you and the boys. It would be a shame for her to miss it:Sad:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Well after several years of motorhoming as a a family I will be taking my two lads to the USA for a few weeks in August.

Plan is simply flights to Boston, pick up hire car, drive to aunties for a few days them off up to Canada and Niagra falls.

A dream holiday with no Wife :Sad:

However, this is all new to me,

Years since I booked a flight ,,,proving a little more expensive than I anticipated.

What's the best way to get cheap flights?

What's the trick ?
As a benchmark, I booked a ticket for my granddaughter this week with BA from Heathrow T5 to New York JFK. Boston is around the same price. It was £502 return. Personally I prefer BA or Virgin for all sorts of reasons, airport terminal facilities for one. You can also get a good deal on a hire car with BA.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Why isn't Nickie going Paul , does she not like flying ? I vaguely remember you saying this was the reason you didn't fly , i think.
I get magic pills from the docs to get me through. :Blush: Has she ever tried them ?
I never used to be bothered before having the kids and have flown abroad since being a child my self. But got nervous and panicky once the kids came along. Whilst Ralph and the kids were getting more and more excited about going I'd be getting more and more stressed.
When Ralph and i went to Australia without the kids , on a reccie , i was fine. :RollEyes:
So i shall get some more pills for the family holiday in August . Hopefully not needing them for the Maldives in January , cos the kids are not going with us.

[HI]I hope you can persuade her to go ,[/HI] it sounds like you have a fab time planned out for you and the boys. It would be a shame for her to miss it:Sad:
Not so sure, better to keep her feet on the ground. Could become very expensive. :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
http://www.cheapflights.co.uk/flights/USA/

I hope you can persuade her to go , it sounds like you have a fab time planned out for you and the boys. It would be a shame for her to miss it:Sad:

No pill in the world will get her on an aircraft, think BA in the A team, it ain't going to happen. We've tried to often.

As a benchmark, I booked a ticket for my granddaughter this week with BA from Heathrow T5 to New York JFK. Boston is around the same price. It was £502 return. Personally I prefer BA or Virgin for all sorts of reasons, airport terminal facilities for one. You can also get a good deal on a hire car with BA.

Was that by phone or on the net? That's how much I budgeted on, about £500 a go but I just keep getting about £800 a pop, I know we're in the premier league now but didn't realise that this resulted in all tickets being increased in price :winky:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Was that by phone or on the net? That's how much I budgeted on, about £500 a go but I just keep getting about £800 a pop, I know we're in the premier league now but didn't realise that this resulted in all tickets being increased in price :winky:
It was on line through the BA site a few days ago, I always use the same process. Attached a clip with times etc.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
It was on line through the BA site a few days ago, I always use the same process. Attached a clip with times etc.
Opps I forgot the link......:Smile:

Attachments

• Flight booking.PNG
    Flight booking.PNG
    50.5 KB · Views: 17
Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Paul

Try Aer Lingus. You will have to change in Dublin but you can fly from Manchester. You do all the immigration in Dublin airport. Also as you are flying to Dublin first no need to check in 3 hours in advance.

I went with Aer Lingus to Los Angeles via Dublin from Heathrow and the cost was actually less than if I was flying from Dublin.

Having had bad service and delays on BA I will never travel with them again.

Try using Sky Scanner or Expedia to compare prices and then go the companies website to see if is cheaper.

Sonja

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Trust me Paul, after suffering the indignity of removing half your clothes to prove you aren't a jihadist before every flight, forking out for airport parking and being herded like cattle, you'll soon be running back to the Bessy for your holidays!:roflmto:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Nearly always use SkyScanner. This checks many if not all of the popular flight search engines and for me gives the best prices.

I book flights every week and find this a useful tool

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Paul don't know who you bank with but I use RBS. and they do discounts for holidays and flights, last time we went to the USA we phoned them with best price and they beat it, also through in free airport lounge at departure.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
good luck with the flight. One other small problem to check up on, I seem to remember reading that you have to wait 24hrs from arrival before you can hire a car, just to make sure you are not too tired to drive. So you may need a room, anyway do check it out and don't take my word for it.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
good luck with the flight. One other small problem to check up on, I seem to remember reading that you have to wait 24hrs from arrival before you can hire a car, just to make sure you are not too tired to drive. So you may need a room, anyway do check it out and don't take my word for it.
Not the case. BA fly's you there and has a car waiting for you to drive away on arrival.:Smile:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp

No worries roger we'll just nick one anyway, when in Rome and all that :Cool:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
I have emailed a friend/relation of mine and she may be able to help you as she is in the business. michelle@viptraveluk.com VIP Travel UK 01843279777 tell her Eileen spoke to her.
Hope this is of some use Paul :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back