LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We travelled through the tunnel last Thursday evening. Our 200-mile drive from home to Folkestone was wet, so used the wipers all the way. For about the last 20-odd miles there was a loud 'slap', 'slap', 'slap' sound from the driver's-side wiper.

During the crossing I checked the wiper to discover a large split at the end of the rubber blade. And although we were heading all the way to the Med I thought - no problem, just pop in to any Fiat, Citroen or Peugeot dealer to buy replacements (we have a Fiat X250 cab). In the meantime I cut a bit of gaffer tape to try to hold the blade together.

Next morning we chanced upon a Citroen dealer, who produced a set of blades. To be on the safe side I asked if they would fit them. A mechanic was despatched without delay and proceeded to try to fit the new blades - but without success!

After much head scratching I was told that the wiper blades would only fit a left-hand drive vehicle - ours is RHD. And so it wouldn't be possible! :cry:

We had already travelled another hour in torrential rain before trying the Citroen dealer, and the gaffer tape was doing its job. So after being told we needed right-hand drive wiper blades, we decided to press on. In fact for another two days of torrential rain (oh, and some snow).... The gaffer tape is still holding - though not sure if it will last another three-and-a-half weeks, until we return to the UK. Suppose it depends on the weather. :RollEyes:

At least the weather has been warm and sunny for the last two days where we're staying at the moment (about 40 miles north of Beziers and the Med coast).

Would welcome any suggestions about buying new wipers in France for RHD vehicle.

Thanks, Mike

PS I shall be carrying spares in future. :Blush:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just replace the rubber insert/blade, not the full blade.

any decent mechanic should be able to do it in a few minutes a side.

my Chrysler needed a new rear blade and the cost is a small mortgage.

just dug out a spare 17" blade in my garage, removed and cut the rubber to length and swapped the rubber.

but, if you have one piece silicon blades you're stuffed

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
just replace the rubber insert/blade, not the full blade.

any decent mechanic should be able to do it in a few minutes a side.

my Chrysler needed a new rear blade and the cost is a small mortgage.

just dug out a spare 17" blade in my garage, removed and cut the rubber to length and swapped the rubber.

but, if you have one piece silicon blades you're stuffed

I'll have a closer look in the morning, but I think they are one-piece. :Angry:

Years ago on older vehicles I used to just buy new 'rubber inserts' to save money. Although fiddly to fit, they could be carefully wriggled in.

I'm doubtful it's going to be possible on these wipers, but will have a look.

Thanks, Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Most French supermarkets sell wiper blades,Just measure the lengths & buy the same lengths, no probs. The bigger the supermarket the more choice.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Not sure if I'm missing the obvious here, but how can wiper-blades be right or left-hand drive? Surely it doesn't matter which way the arms point? I recently bought blades for the car (rhd) in Carrefour, and a set for the MH (lhd), at the same shop.... :whatthe:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I'll have a closer look in the morning, but I think they are one-piece. :Angry:

Years ago on older vehicles I used to just buy new 'rubber inserts' to save money. Although fiddly to fit, they could be carefully wriggled in.

I'm doubtful it's going to be possible on these wipers, but will have a look.

Thanks, Mike

We currently have exactly the same problem ....... came over on 1st May and went through the same process with Peugeot dealers to no avail.

Have managed to get along with the damaged blade using it as little as possible and hopefully it will last until Friday when we cross back to the UK ...... plenty of rain forecast:Doh:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I have a English right hand drive Citroen....I have changed one if not two blades over here in France
These places "Feuvert" are all over France....they are a motorshop...like Halfords, they sell exhausts, tyres, batteries, oil, radios, sat navs,trailers, and many other car parts...
Ask the person serving to either check or fit it for you ...that's what they did for me, they fitted the wiper blade...at no extra cost...and the one they fitted on mine was very very good..

Then there are the supermarkets..BUT you have got to know it will fit as you pay for first:Doh:

Look on the web for there nearest shop to you:thumb:

Mel

www.feuvert.fr/centres-auto/feu-vert-beziers-rhin.html‎
Translate this page
FEU VERT BEZIERS RHIN. SEBOL AUTO 34500 BEZIERS Tél : 04 67 09 26 26. Fax : 04 67 30 77 71. Itinéraire · Plan d'accès. Prestations Atelier : Prestations ...
feuvert, near Béziers
Feu Vert
www.feuvert.fr
1 Google review
ZAC de Montimaran
Béziers
04 67 76 20 83
Feu Vert
www.feuvert.fr
Google+ page
55 Av. Rhin & Danube, Route de Pézenas
Béziers
04 67 09 26 26
feu vert beziers geant
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/tech-mech-general/www.feuvert.fr/.../choix_agence2.aspx?...BEZIERS...‎
Translate this page
*Offre valable dans le centre auto Feu Vert émetteur de cet email donnant lieu à la remise d'un bon de réduction en contre partie de l'achat d'une remorque ...
34 - Herault - Centre auto - Feu Vert
www.feuvert.fr/centres-auto/herault/34.html‎
Translate this page
FEU VERT BEZIERS RHIN. SEBOL AUTO 55, Avenue Rhin & Danube Route de Pézenas 34500 BEZIERS Tél : 04 67 09 26 26 ...
Feu Vert Béziers - Promos et catalogues en cours - Bonial.fr
www.bonial.fr/Beziers/Feu-Vert/p-r22‎
Translate this page
Feu Vert à Béziers: Feuilletez en ligne les catalogues Feu Vert en cours et retrouvez les promos Garages & Automobile à Béziers sur bonial.fr.
FEU VERT BEZIERS MONTIMARAN horaires ouverture, téléphone ...
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/tech-...lert.com/.../feu-vert-beziers-montimaran-...‎
Translate this page
Horaires, téléphone et adresse de votre magasin Feu Vert Beziers Montimaran. Découvrez également ses promos et catalogues.
Magasin Feu Vert Beziers : Avis, Horaire ouverture ... - Magasin - Lol
magasin.lol.net › ... › Magasin Auto › Magasin Feu Vert - Translate this page
Feu Vert Beziers. Sur cette fiche, retrouvez les coordonnées et adresse du Magasin Feu Vert Beziers, les horaires d'ouverture du Magasin Feu Vert Beziers, les ...
Feu Vert Béziers (adresse, avis) - Pages Jaunes
www.pagesjaunes.fr/pros/07526199‎
Translate this page
1 review
centres autos, entretien rapide garages automobiles Feu Vert Béziers : adresse, photos, retrouvez toutes les coordonnées et informations sur le professionnel ...
FEU VERT BEZIERS GEANT Béziers - Allogarage
www.allogarage.fr › ... › Hérault › Béziers‎
Translate this page
Coordonnées du garage auto FEU VERT BEZIERS GEANT à Béziers - Centre Commercial Parking Géant - ZAC de Montimaran. Numéro de téléphone : 04 67 ...
FEU VERT BEZIERS RHIN Béziers - Allogarage
www.allogarage.fr › ... › Hérault › Béziers‎
Translate this page
Coordonnées du garage auto FEU VERT BEZIERS RHIN à Béziers - 55, Avenue Rhin-et-Danube. Numéro de téléphone : 04 67 09 26 …
FEU VERT BEZIERS RHIN à Béziers | Les-horaires.fr
www.les-horaires.fr › 34 › Béziers‎
Translate this page
Horaires d'ouverture de FEU VERT BEZIERS RHIN, 55, Avenue Rhin & Danube Route de Pézenas, 34500 Béziers (Automobiles, motos / Accessoires / Garage)

data=Ay5GWBeob_WIPLDYoIWcfVXxvZu9XwJ55OX7Ag,1jE8tUHDWrN1YC9yIBrMZbnG093R7R-pg7a75t7jyhLFta4bhb1gitTrwjm4Tfzceewh_RCY3CPeC0LkaW74u0mNvuHyDXSzQLa4JC8_Ox4_Pba0gBI4d2yuMZt2-VB1Y20hbNlW0SjtrTpKbh0q8e_Z1wx4GVQiOSGk8WQSlHGd8g

Last edited:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi

We had this issue the other way round, a left hand drive Fiat MultiJet in the UK! We had to get some ordered using the chassis number. Parts arrived next day.

On a similar theme, we used an Opel dealer for Vauxhall Corsa parts in Italy - again parts were next day.

So I think your real solution is to order some and stay putt for a couple of days til they arrive.

We carry spares now for this reason. I wrongly assumed both LHD and RHD were the same but on the opposite side, how wrong I was.

Russell

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Our wiper arms are for LHD, but the blades are common for both LHD and RHD.

The one piece silicon blades are probably directional, and therefore not interchangeable. :Sad:

Good luck with the gaffer tape Mike. :winky:

Cheers,

Jock.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
If you go to either supermarket or Feu Vert or Norauto. Buy a single blade without spoiler and job done. We have never had a problem finding blades for our old car which was rhd. Avoid dealers !! They hum and haw , spend forever discussing it and if they find the right one charge you an arm and a leg !!

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Well, I've yet to come across a vehicle with wiper blades that are specifically for left or right-hand drive - the blades all clip on in the same manner and wipe the screen identically in both directions... it doesn't matter which side of the screen the wiper arms park ... well, not on any of the hundred + vehicles I've owned, whether trucks, cars or MHs ...

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Well, I've yet to come across a vehicle with wiper blades that are specifically for left or right-hand drive - the blades all clip on in the same manner and wipe the screen identically in both directions... it doesn't matter which side of the screen the wiper arms park ... well, not on any of the hundred + vehicles I've owned, whether trucks, cars or MHs ...

Wow! Thanks everybody for all the helpful suggestions.

Just on the point of RHD v LHD - I had absolutely no idea there could be a difference, but on this 2010 Fiat X250 cab there is, apparently. :shout:

The N/S & O/S blades are different lengths, just as on many modern vehicles. But it seems the manufacturer, in their wisdom, has designed the fitting mechanism so they can't be mixed up, presumably in error? Hence you have the issue with whether the vehicle is RHD or LHD, and in France I don't believe many dealers stock parts specifically for RHD vehicles. :cry:

I think they call it progress. :winky:

However, I really appreciate the ideas of other places I could try to find a replacement, or alternatively order them for 24-hour delivery.

Oh, and I kind of feel slightly better that I'm not the only person to have experienced the problem. When I got the Fiat handbook out to read about changing the wipers it said something along the lines of 'Check regularly, and in any case change them at least every year'. Never heard of that before. My Citroen C5 is coming up to 8 years old and the original wipers are still in perfect condition. My wife's Citroen C3, on the other hand, had its third set fitted at six years old (and less than half the mileage of my car). But every year??

As I said previously, I'll carry spares in future. ::bigsmile:

Thanks again. any other thoughts welcome.

Mike

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Whatever you do don't buy from main dealer. I've just changed the blades on my Skoda Octavia (flat blades) and on our Symphony (early Boxer, standard blades). Skoda wanted £18 pair, Ebay £4.59 inc postage. I too used to buy just rubbers for the old style blades but at £4.35 inc postage from Ebay for a pair of complete blades, I don't think I could get the rubbers alone for that price.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back