Free Member
Sep 3, 2009
cheltenham, glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
may 2009
Going to Isle of Wight end of June. Does anyone know which would be best crossing
to take and can we just turn up at port or do we have to book, will be away between
8 to 13 days. We live in gloucestershire. many thanks.:Smile:

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
I would pre book then you know you have a crossing. The three places to cross are Portsmouth,Lymington and Southampton. I think Red Funnel at Southampton work out cheaper than Wightlink. I know there are some good deals on crossings combined with campsites.Enjoy. :thumb:

OP
OP
samany

samany

Free Member
Sep 3, 2009
cheltenham, glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
may 2009
Thanks Grasscutter, any idea what campsites:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We have been across to the Isle of Wight twice using Red Funnel deals. On both occasions we have stopped at the Whitfield Forset campsite. The site is very clean and tidy with excellent facilities, bus stops are just outside the entrance and there is a large Tesco Supermarket about 1/2 mile away.

Brisey.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, I live on the island and I agree with brisey , whitefields forest site is ( in my opinion) the best , no extra amenities just the best toilet shower block / nice hard standings , purpose built by Pat Glover and son Simon who know all about camping having owned one before, so built this one with the no how .
Any more questions or help I can give just ask. Best to contact the site direct as they get preferential rates from the ferry company's and do an all inclusive price. once you are on site bus's go right by the entrance to tesco 3/4 of a mile away also every where on the island is no more than 40 mins away.
Terry:sin: FIDGET

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Mum and dad have just left the site and heading for Wales, they are first time motorhomers and said this was an excellent site, lovely walks and quiet. done caming deal with Red funnel to include crossing from Southampton.

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
:thumb:Hi Samany
Just got back from I.O.W. with Red Funnel deal.
Stayed on a very good Waverley site.
First timers to the Island , well worth the visit, but the roads are in need of TLC

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi, I live on the island and I agree with brisey , whitefields forest site is ( in my opinion) the best , no extra amenities just the best toilet shower block / nice hard standings , purpose built by Pat Glover and son Simon who know all about camping having owned one before, so built this one with the no how .
Any more questions or help I can give just ask. Best to contact the site direct as they get preferential rates from the ferry company's and do an all inclusive price. once you are on site bus's go right by the entrance to tesco 3/4 of a mile away also every where on the island is no more than 40 mins away.
Terry:sin: FIDGET

Hi, any views as to Appledurcombe Camp site - have seen it and wondered if anyone would recommend.

Rob

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Rob,
Appuldurcombe site ,yes it's ok , not my cup of tea , grass pitches , small outdoor pool ,small bar , generally good but I think its a bit out of the way. not that anywhere is really out of the way on the island. I'm not into sites with pools and bars etc, I prefer Whitefield forest site . If you want to have a chat about the island and sites etc give me a PM and I'll give you my mobile number.
Terry:sin:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back