Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It seemed that loads of these were being sold at Peterboro' show. Are they any good? The ones I saw seemed so very heavy, and whilst they might assist you when the battery is full, if you are out and the battery dies then I think it will be a real struggle to get home whether pushing or pedalling.

have you got one? Would you buy one?

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi Jim

Those are my questions :roflmto::roflmto: I too have been wondering. I went to a bike shop in Colchester and looked at a £299 mountain hybrid bike. I could lift it with a couple of fingers rather than two hands. The battery jobs you could only lift.

Having said that lots of people do seem to be going for them so there must be something in it

stew

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
I Bought One

Jim
I bought one at the show. Yes they are heavy (a bit like me) but they will help me keep up with OH who rides at about 30MPH and also for going up hills. It will mean that we can cycle longer distances together as well. I tried the bike without the battery switched on as I was concerned about getting somewhere and then not being able to get back. It wasn't a lot more difficult than the Dutch bike I have at the moment. They are not being delivered until after 24th May so I will give you a go if you want. :thumb:
Sonja

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
You can hire them first

I forgot to say that they have a CL Link Removed where their workshop is and you can hire one there to try first.
Sonja

Henryhymer

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
Funster No
They can be a bit heavy but are extremely useful for getting up those hills and giving those of us that aren't as fit as we would like to be that extra shove. For me it's the difference between getting on an ebike or not cycling at all. They can be a bit heavier to cycle when the battery runs out but I've done over 40 miles on mine with one charge and the battery was still okay (others will do in excess of 50 miles) so I guess it depends on how far you want to go. As they only take a few pence to charge many pubs and cafes are quite happy to let you charge up over lunch. There are loads of different ones and there performance varies enormously so I suggest that if your are interested you take a look at atob.org.uk and pedelecs.co.uk to get all the info you need. The pedelecs forum is great for asking any questions. They really helped me when I was researching which bike I should buy.

wilecoyote

Free Member
Aug 2, 2007
Leicester, UK
Funster No
I've done over 40 miles on mine with one charge and the battery was still okay (others will do in excess of 50 miles).

Jim..

Perhaps you should be more concerned about the quality of the saddle rather the the weight issue of the bike :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
They sound great, but I am terribly indisciplined when it comes to battery maintenance and I reckon that after a winter or two of little or no use, the batteries will be shot and the saddle wont matter because I'd will be stood up trying to shift those pedals round whilst hauling a sixty pound bike.:Eeek: Presently I think I will stay with my six pound Ally frame bike. I can neglect it in the shed all winter with no ill effect :Smile:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi

The saddle as Wilecote says has come on leaps and bounds. There is a small channel along the middle. I asked the salesman at Colchester if it was designed as a runway for the sweat :cry:. No he said, its to ensure you can still create children :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

stew

jacken

Free Member
Dec 9, 2007
kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
Bought 'wifey' a Lafree battery assisted bike 3 years ago, she swears by it. It is power assisted in so much that you have to peddle it as well for the power to work. She uses the peddling as normal but when coming to a hill, she turns on the power.
It is heavy though, but the battery has a range of 15 miles between charges. Cost an arm and a leg as well.

ken

wilecoyote

Free Member
Aug 2, 2007
Leicester, UK
Funster No
They sound great, but I am terribly indisciplined when it comes to battery maintenance

Stuff the battery? I can't help but think how many bottles of red I could buy with the savings if retain my olde world bike which needs humanoid effort :ROFLMAO:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
as someone that had to give up running and switch to cycling I can only say get the human effort switched on. I ride about 40-50 miles per week and love it. A good hybrid bike I have thats little effort to ride. When angry I can pick it up and launch it, I can throw in on to the back of my van without effecting my payload.

The elecitric bike that I tried just made it to easy, and it was posh one of £799. A great peice of kit although very heavy. To easy in my opinion and wont get the heart pumping and the brain chemicals flowing.

Or is it they are way to fast for me?::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back