PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I've just been reading the user guide for Dometic Fridge (yeh sad i know) and found the chapter that covers gas operation and refuelling. Now this doesn't apply to me as I shut off my gas supply at the cylinders when I travel and I don't have the automatic energy selection facility available to use so I'm safe so to speak, but how many Funsters do have the auto option and leave their gas cylinders open and allow the energy selection to be used as best suited:Smile:

The good book (that covers all models) states that after the vehicle has been driven, there is a 15 min delay to the auto ignition of the gas (if there has been no electrical hookup) to allow for refuelling. Seems sensible, but what about the times we're longer than 15 mins, as the igniter will then operate the live flame and keep the fridge cool. The good book says if we're to be longer than 15 mins, then the fridge should be either turned off or switched to another energy source:Eeek:

I've never heard of any instances of a motorhome causing problems within a garage, other than limiting the quantity of chocolate and wine purchased over the counter, but worth hi lighting to my fell Funsters now I've read it:thumb::thumb:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I always ensure all the gas appliances are turned off when entering any fuel stations.

This probably saved a disaster recently for us when I assume grit or some other foreign body lodged in the non return valve in the filler for our lpg tank.

Having filled the tank I removed the nozzle only to find liquid gas streaming out, far in excess of the normal puff we expect. I reconnected the nozzle and removed it several times but still the gas was escaping.

Had there been any source of ignition at this time I feel sure we would have lost the motor home in a fireball .......... The problem was solved fortunately by the forecourt attendant with his Bic pen which he shoved into the valve to clear it.

Altogether a very sobering experience. ...........

Lessons learned;

1) Always turn off any ignition sources
2) Always have a Bic pen handy

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
I always ensure all the gas appliances are turned off when entering any fuel stations.

This probably saved a disaster recently for us when I assume grit or some other foreign body lodged in the non return valve in the filler for our lpg tank.

Having filled the tank I removed the nozzle only to find liquid gas streaming out, far in excess of the normal puff we expect. I reconnected the nozzle and removed it several times but still the gas was escaping.

Had there been any source of ignition at this time I feel sure we would have lost the motor home in a fireball .......... The problem was solved fortunately by the forecourt attendant with his Bic pen which he shoved into the valve to clear it.

Altogether a very sobering experience. ...........

Lessons learned;

1) Always turn off any ignition sources
2) Always have a Bic pen handy

I had the exact same thing in 2009 on my RV I had only paid for it in cash 20 minuets before
A very scary situation
One I would not like to have again

( dirt/dust in filler dust cap not used as it should ) always use the cap now to keep valve clean :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back