PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Now don't get me wrong, I adore my Autotrail Dakota. I brought it as a low mileage secondhand deal and I'm completely over the moon with it in every way poss........HOWEVER, I'm quite a fussy bugger when it comes to attention to detail and fit and finish, I'm also not a great lover of some British workmanship. I want to be, I really really do, but some of our continental cousins do it sooooo much better than we do and have real pride in their craftsmanship and work, whereby us Brits are a bit more, yeh that'll do, kind of guys. I've had call to do a fair number of minor tasks on my pride and joy, as I'm qualified to do them and I also thirst for the knowledge on how things work. The more I do the more I understand how it works on my motorhome, where the harnesses lay etc.......men will understand this I'm sure:Eeek:

So when I had call to look behind the fridge (by simply removing the outer vents) I didn't like finding sweetie wrappers from those craftsmen on the production line, nor fag butts, nor the nail clippings too. I especially don't like finding the screws that should be securely holding cables and panels together, that are either half in or half out, or drilled in at an angle as they've been in a rush and they havent cared as the chances are you'll never see them. Across the entire vehicle I find these signs and I could list more, but why why why. Why doesn't Autotrail conduct out inspections on the build process, that way they'll find these examples of poor quality and poor workmanship and the workers themselves would improve in their trade, for fear of being found out.*More importantly, they'll find the electrical wires, that dangle across sub frames and are just waiting to rub thru and short out and cost us £'s in the process of repair:Angry:

I know when I out inspected the work of my military fitters, if they had replaced an item and then fitted a panel that concealed it, I'd make them take it off so I could confirm that the correct washers were fitted, with the correct screws, bolts and locking devices and thus improving the quality of the work we would produce and the likely reliability of the equipment:thumb:

So come on Autotrail, I've read so much about poor quality and it's quite rude and ignorant of you, to simply think people will continue to put up with this poor attitude, when you could easily fix it during the build process

Rant over:shout:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Its not just British built vans that have these quality issues. Most vans built after 2004 seem to be inferior quality to vans built previous. We bought a 2009 Holiday Rambler RV which was less than 12 months old after owning 2 older Rvs. The van was fantastic fancy lighting plush furniture latest electronics it looked a million dollars, but it was awful. The build quality was terrible nothing fitted properly drawer runners fell, off doors warped, pipes leaked, screws fell out and rivets popped, it was a constant job repairing it. Added to that it was a petrol and we couldn't live with 7mpg so got rid of it. We then found a 2002German Hymer and although old there is no comparison in the build quality its far superior and even though its now 11 years old the woodwork still looks as good as new and we use it a lot all year round. Fact of life I suppose built to a price nowadays, it would probably be so expensive to build old fashion quality they'd never sell any.
If I had the money I'd love to have a van built to my own design and standard.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
All motorhomes are shoddy!

It's the industry standard!!!

If you want a well made van, find £150k and spend it on a Concorde or Niesmann + Bischoff!:roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
All motorhomes are shoddy!

It's the industry standard!!!

If you want a well made van, find £150k and spend it on a Concorde or Niesmann + Bischoff!:roflmto:

Wonder if we could build one on the chasis of the Freddie, I'm sure the becky mechs wouldn't miss it:ROFLMAO:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
WHATEVER YOU DO - DONT BUY A NEW AUTOTRAIL. !!
If you dont like the old build, you will be VERY VERY dissapointed on new ones..:Doh:

Bits fall off all the time, screws in material that dont hold screws, screw covers that drop off before they get to dealers. etc etc etc.....

Still it's only money and a hobby, aint it ???

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Wonder if we could build one on the chasis of the Freddie, I'm sure the becky mechs wouldn't miss it:ROFLMAO:

Now THAT would be good bit of kit for a wet rally field!

You could even confuse tuggers by lifting their caravan and changing their pitch whilst they slept!::bigsmile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I posted on another thread about swift built quality. It's not xclusive to swift, autotrail or anyone else. It's the sign of the times across the industry.

Humans = test pilots.

Want a motorhome, get a toolbox as an accessory,

Fixed my tap today, had come loose, had to remove the whole sink to get to it :Eeek:

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I posted on another thread about swift built quality. It's not xclusive to swift, autotrail or anyone else. It's the sign of the times across the industry.

Humans = test pilots.

Want a motorhome, get a toolbox as an accessory,

Fixed my tap today, had come loose, had to remove the whole sink to get to it :Eeek:

Removing and resealing around the sink, that's on my jobs to do list, what did you use as I,ve also to seal in the shower area too:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I used some sikaflex that I had left over from one of the numerous other jobs I had to do the other month ::bigsmile:

I always keep some with me in the tool box.

One time in Prague Nikki was taking a shower and I was sat out in the sun with my feet up, I noticed water running out from under the van, it was because the sealant had failed around the shower and was literally going between the tray and the wall....:Doh:

One of a million things I've fixed with all 3 of our motorhomes over the years. Oddly enough, i can't remember doing anything to our bailey caravan years ago :Cool:

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
2012 Dethleffs Globetrotter. Very iffy finish in parts to say the least. Some really good quality but in other places, mostly hidden like the OP, it is sub standard.

That said it is whole lot better than most of British brands, like Autotrail and Swift, that we looked at we went or this.

Ours is in next week for a new awning and a new passenger door and frame. The awning is bent, from factory fit probably, and the door leaks all round theframe again from new. That's nearly £5k of warranty thy could have saved with a bit of time, effort and liberal doses of sealer. That's to say nothing of he new lights etcetc we have already had.

The dealer, Alan Kerr has been really good and sorted out the vast majority without a quibble so a big :thumb: to them.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
self build is the answer .
then you can only blame yourself.
but you can save enough to build another one compared to buying a factory job.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
2012 Dethleffs Globetrotter. Very iffy finish in parts to say the least. Some really good quality but in other places, mostly hidden like the OP, it is sub standard.

That said it is whole lot better than most of British brands, like Autotrail and Swift, that we looked at we went or this.

Ours is in next week for a new awning and a new passenger door and frame. The awning is bent, from factory fit probably, and the door leaks all round theframe again from new. That's nearly £5k of warranty thy could have saved with a bit of time, effort and liberal doses of sealer. That's to say nothing of he new lights etcetc we have already had.

The dealer, Alan Kerr has been really good and sorted out the vast majority without a quibble so a big :thumb: to them.

Have purchased from Alan Kerr, excellent after sales. BUSBY.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am more than happy with the build quality of my RMB Silver Star. At 23 years old everything still works as it did when it left the factory. All hinges, door catches, drawer runners etc are original. The only thing not original is the AES fridge and LED TV. Built to hand down through generations. Its not as fast as a modern common rail motor, but will happily travel at 60 MPH all day, and its rear wheel drive with factory fitted diff lock. I only ever owned 2 British vans, both Elddis, I should have learned from the first one. Have spoken to several owners of new Hymers and each and every one said the build quality was not as good as there older trade in. Its not just British vans that have gone down the pan, German vans are not what they were.

G4OGE

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
Northwich,Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
Caravanning 30+ years
I have been having a look round again today and must say not very impressed, the shower door on an Auto trail I think (had a look at a lot) when shut touched at the top and bottom and had a 6 mm gap in the middle,it was a circular type, on another it was a swing type and very flimsy, the toilet door latch was missing (not sure if it had been nicked) but where it screwed into had no real wood where the screw holes were looked to be about 2-3 mm thick.

The older stuff outside seemed better made as per previous remark; sure is a lot of money for this type of workmanship so it does make you wonder what the workmanship is like out of sight.

I would have thought screws and such especially in important places would have some sort of retaining glue to stop them coming out.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
It`s all about production numbers-
keeping share holders happy
Keeping the banks happy
bonus schemes
It all went down hill after about 2000- out went pride , in came greed

knighthauler

Free Member
May 11, 2013
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2001
Build quality

We have recently changed our 2008 Autotrail to a Hymer Eribacar because of poor build quality - we have had three Autotrails previously,older models with hardly any problems,decided to go newer,what a mistake that was - lots of issues,mostly minor,but lots of them,eventually had enough!!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Look on the bright side AT are considered one of the better British premium vans :ROFLMAO:All makers use more or less the same stuff to make there vans and a vast majority use Italian made furniture thats bought in.More a case of (so called) fitting into a space thats there- if it fits tightback/together then good but if is doesn't it's near enough ::bigsmile:
The only way you will get a well screwed together van now is from a small converter who has pride in there work and makes there own cupboards etc, rather than buys in like big boys do, or do a self build where you can make things fit rather than nearly fit ::bigsmile:
The problem you have is finding a good self build because people who have good self builds have got more or less the best layouts that suit there needs at the time :Smile: so tend to hang onto them or alter them.
Comming up 7 yrs since my last conversion and still only had the 8 ins bit of trim fall off ::bigsmile: and changed cab carpet and rear floor purely for own preference rather than needing to :Smile: A few bits have gone wrong with base vehicle, starter motor, headlight, a relay for air suspension, bushes and a nightmare of a sender unit for ABS ::bigsmile: but apart from what I consider servicing no problems, nearly forgot alternator ::bigsmile: Morrel of story Self build rools :thumb: as JJ would say ::bigsmile:
Terry

G4OGE

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
Northwich,Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
Caravanning 30+ years
Don't these manufacturers read any of the forums and the remarks or concerns aired, or is it that they just don't care to much?, perhaps when people start voting with their wallets they may sit up and take notice.

What if all the data was collected on each individual model or type and sent to the MD of each company I was going to suggest[ one of the magazines but to much self interest I think, say someone independent a bit like which; it seems a bit obvious that not much in the way of final inspection and more importantly work in progress snap inspections of each process.

It seems at the moment to be as has been said earlier, shove it out as it is and worry (or not) about it later, the end user is the one to do the final inspection and provide the remedies.

I wonder if it would be possible to have a report section on the forum where this could be logged under each individual manufacturers type and on a monthly bases send it to the MD's along with the comments of the people who pay their wages.:thumb:

/SIZE]

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

I wonder if it would be possible to have a report section on the forum where this could be logged under each individual manufacturers type and on a monthly bases send it to the MD's along with the comments of the people who pay their wages.:thumb:

I thought about this as well... A simple form. Make, Model, Year. Somewhere to list faults..
Then a facility so you can search and bring up just that one model.
Soon see any common issues...

There are several for Autotrail BUT they are never going to admit to an issue as it put's them open for more comeback.. You only have to read some posts on the forums to start a list of common problems.. ie.. Habitation door lock, the batch of vans where there is cracking on the corners of windows etc...

G4OGE

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
Northwich,Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
Caravanning 30+ years
I thought about this as well... A simple form. Make, Model, Year. Somewhere to list faults..
Then a facility so you can search and bring up just that one model.
Soon see any common issues...

There are several for Autotrail BUT they are never going to admit to an issue as it put's them open for more comeback.. You only have to read some posts on the forums to start a list of common problems.. ie.. Habitation door lock, the batch of vans where there is cracking on the corners of windows etc...

Good points, I think this is where the other option comes in voting with the wallet, When the demand falls, a quick sit up in the chair happens or should do!, once you get a bad name in business it is hard to shake it off which in these hard times is something they do not want.
The difference between getting it right and saying that will do can not be that great, Like most of people who make things with their hands usually find better ways of doing things or when actually making something know the work they are doing is not the best and it can be done better, pride in your work (if allowed do it better or suggest a better way) should be the order of the day, certain things that have heavy usage need to be of better quality and tested properly before being allowed into the manufacturing process.

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
GET YOURSELLS AN ELDISS GEORDIE BUILT BY GEORDIE CRAFTSMEN NO BITS FALLING OFF MINE BUILT TO LAST. LIKE ALL US GEORDIES

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
You run a caravan business, who do you employ? a time served chippy on £10-12 an hour or somebody on minimum wage. Its a competitive market, employ the chippy and you might price yourself out of the market, so you employ somebody on minimum wage. Then to make it worse you don't train them, you don't instil a sense of pride, but if your being paid minimum wage, is that possible?

If I cut a bit of metal I deburr it, don't matter if its going to be buried in concrete, I deburr it, if a chippy hangs a door, all the slots in the screws, in the hinges line up, little things but they give you a sense of pride. I wasn't born with it, I was taught it. Nobody bothers to teach pride because it costs to much money.

Ian

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I have just been looking at a Austin 7 , everything on it was over engineered because that was all the knowlage and materials at the time would allow.
It is still here and driving around :thumb:

Now with clever computer controlled machines and modern plastic and clever carbon fibre materials everything is cut/shaved all to cut costs ,weight .

What the factory needs is a heavyweight couple of campers to test out these motorhomes.
Two 25 stone big campers bashing around inside a MH ,sitting on the loo,leaning on plastic walls ,using the seats ect for a week.:Eeek:
Then return it to the factory so they can see what the real world can do :thumb:

G4OGE

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
Northwich,Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
Caravanning 30+ years
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
GET YOURSELLS AN ELDISS GEORDIE BUILT BY GEORDIE CRAFTSMEN NO BITS FALLING OFF MINE BUILT TO LAST. LIKE ALL US GEORDIES

Read em and weep

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
You run a caravan business, who do you employ? a time served chippy on £10-12 an hour or somebody on minimum wage. Its a competitive market, employ the chippy and you might price yourself out of the market, so you employ somebody on minimum wage. Then to make it worse you don't train them, you don't instil a sense of pride, but if your being paid minimum wage, is that possible?

If I cut a bit of metal I deburr it, don't matter if its going to be buried in concrete, I deburr it, if a chippy hangs a door, all the slots in the screws, in the hinges line up, little things but they give you a sense of pride. I wasn't born with it, I was taught it. Nobody bothers to teach pride because it costs to much money.

Ian

You are quite :thumb:there are lots of little things I do without thinking-like picking a bit of timber and glancing down it to se how stright and which way it bends and if laying it down it goes round side up :thumb:Slots in screws did have to line up but I not not used slotted screws for donkeys yrs -Pozi and philips rule :thumb:
Even down to which side of the door the lock block is,is taught and not forgotten :thumb:sounds stupid but it all adds up to make the difference :winky:
terry

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Generally pleased with the build quality of my Hobby but my main issue at the moment is with the Dometic Tec-Tower installation - this is the tall fridge/freezer/oven unit. Dometic's manual clearly states that this must be installed in a draught-free manner:

1. Exhaust fumes must be prevented from entering the living area.

2. The combustion air for the burner must not be taken from the living area.

This is actually a safety issue and a legal requirement (EN 1949) so why are Hobby content to install them in the far from draught-free manner that they have? Save a few minutes on the production line? Save a couple of pounds on lip seals?

Mention it to the dealer. They say they have spoken to Hobby and that the unit is correctly installed - which is nonsense because if it was correctly installed it wouldn't be draughty! Dealer makes an attempt at stopping draughts by running sealant around the front edge of the fridge/freezer. This certainly helps but the oven can't be sealed in the same way.

Then I'm parked on Exeter Racecourse for a week. Anyone who knows the site will know that the wind blows 24/7 there, and most of the time it was hitting the fridge vents head on. Draught was appalling. Resorted to duct taping the oven ventilation when not in use. Was on hook-up so at least I didn't have to worry about fumes blowing into the van. Rang dealer and explained that this draught needed to be properly excluded.

Now I would expect a motorhome dealer to be fully aware of the need for draught-free installation. I would expect them to be appalled that a particular van was draughty. I would expect them to know exactly what to do to make said van draught-free.

Instead I'm told that Dometic will need to 'put it in writing' just how the unit needs to be installed in a draught-free manner (despite this clearly being 'in writing' in the manual). This then needs to be sent to Hobby to agree to the draught-proofing being carried out. All this nonsense when Hobby should have installed it properly in the first place! :Angry:

I'm currently parked on a THS in Evesham. Yesterday we had very strong winds hitting the fridge vent side - and 'cos it's now on gas, sure enough you could smell fumes coming into the van. Rang dealer to check that they'd got the Dometic/Hobby matter sorted ready for when I go back to them on 5th June to get the remedial work done - no progress in the 4 days since I last rang them. So now it's down to me to speak to Dometic again, down to me to try and get some sense out of Hobby at Ambergate (who never bother to ring me back and who apparently never speak to the dealer either!). Customer service - cr*p! :RollEyes:

I know this is not just a Hobby issue as I've spoken to loads of people with draughty fridges. They've resorted to various measures - stuffing foam in the gaps, covering the gaps with duct tape, etc. Why on earth should we have to do this when the fridges should be installed properly in the first place?!

You are more likely to be gassed by your motorhome manufacturer than any Spanish robber gang!:Eeek:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi MAZ buy some sponge pipe lagging from screwfix and stuff it all around :thumb:
terry

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi MAZ buy some sponge pipe lagging from screwfix and stuff it all around :thumb:
terry

Hi Terry. It's not quite as simple as that because the sealing around the oven section has to be resistant to high temperatures. Because the Tec-Tower unit is so tall, it would be extremely difficult (probably impossible) to reach all the gaps through the fridge vents in any case. I also object to having to correct Hobby's ineptitude/indifference in their installation of the Tec-Tower in the first place! :Angry: The unit needs to come out and be re-installed properly.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Terry. It's not quite as simple as that because the sealing around the oven section has to be resistant to high temperatures. Because the Tec-Tower unit is so tall, it would be extremely difficult (probably impossible) to reach all the gaps through the fridge vents in any case. I also object to having to correct Hobby's ineptitude/indifference in their installation of the Tec-Tower in the first place! :Angry: The unit needs to come out and be re-installed properly.

IF I remember right big IF :Smile:If you cannot get to stuff the FF from the vents then try stuffing it from the front and shoving it in with a stick :thumb:--make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector in your van the Frifge should be sealed completely -read fitting instructions-the oven does not need to be airtight
terry

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
IF I remember right big IF :Smile:If you cannot get to stuff the FF from the vents then try stuffing it from the front and shoving it in with a stick :thumb:--make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector in your van the Frifge should be sealed completely -read fitting instructions-the oven does not need to be airtight
terry

However Terry, the whole point is that Maz should not have to do this. :Smile:

Just like the rest of us, shouldn't have to do anything. But the industry doesn't agree.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back