PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I blew the element in my Truma water heater, so ordered and fitted a new one yesterday. I drained the system, including lifting the drain valve on the floor to the horizontal position and ran off all the water to the extent that is recommended in the manual, however when I removed the element, I popped my pinkie inside the cylinder and there was around an inch of water still inside, but below the drain points. Does this mean that no matter what, you cant completely drain the system and what happens to this water over the cold winters? Does it freeze, but due to the low quantity has sufficient room to expand and thus doesn't cause any leaks or splits in the system?:whatthe:

Seems strange that the system can never really be drained, unless it's lifted out, turned on its side and drained that way, or did I miss something else, cos if I did I never saw it, even when looking under the heater mounting:Doh:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
I blew the element in my Truma water heater, so ordered and fitted a new one yesterday. I drained the system, including lifting the drain valve on the floor to the horizontal position and ran off all the water to the extent that is recommended in the manual, however when I removed the element, I popped my pinkie inside the cylinder and there was around an inch of water still inside, but below the drain points. Does this mean that no matter what, you cant completely drain the system and what happens to this water over the cold winters? Does it freeze, but due to the low quantity has sufficient room to expand and thus doesn't cause any leaks or splits in the system?:whatthe:

Seems strange that the system can never really be drained, unless it's lifted out, turned on its side and drained that way, or did I miss something else, cos if I did I never saw it, even when looking under the heater mounting:Doh:

I've stripped and repaired a few different models of these over the years and I'm pretty sure you didn't miss anything, lowest point is the cold water inlet,I can only assume the same as you that for the amount of water left in the boiler there is enough room for it to expand if it does freeze,

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
you cant take water out from below the drain point unles you can phyically move the system and tilt it to remove the excess as for freezing its the pipes that normally crack from a frozen pipe not the system but if it worries u that much just stick a hose in and siphon it out :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you cant take water out from below the drain point unles you can phyically move the system and tilt it to remove the excess as for freezing its the pipes that normally crack from a frozen pipe not the system but if it worries u that much just stick a hose in and siphon it out :Smile:
or park sideways on a slope....you'll never get it all out.

my American boiler has the drain at the bottom (side) but still leaves a cupful in after draindown.
i leave the drain bung out and it evaporates eventually then i rake out the loose limescale before recommissioning the next season.

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
or park sideways on a slope....you'll never get it all out.

my American boiler has the drain at the bottom (side) but still leaves a cupful in after draindown.
i leave the drain bung out and it evaporates eventually then i rake out the loose limescale before recommissioning the next season.

One think I was chuffed with and that was the lack of lime scale on the element, it was as clean as new, just a different colour:thumb:

Must be doing something right......at last:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back