Motor legal expenses cover-worth it or? (1 Viewer)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
worthless ? :Smile:Simple question my ins is due for renewing and added into the quote is M.L.E cover @ just shy of £40 - Now when I asked about my recent court case they told me no cover for court etc but they do recover any thing from anyone whos fault it is after a accident etc, IN OTHER WORDS AMBULANCE chasers -witch to be honest any no win no fee lawyers will do for nothing or a cut :Smile: Now I have just read through all the bumph and guess what it all full of exclusions that to my mind renderit useless so why would I pay for it ? In fact why do any of us pay legal cover when the only time they will help is ifthey are sure they can win ? If they think they cannot win they will not give legal cover although I am paying 40 quid for it :Eeek::Angry:
A bit like protected no claims -sure they still give you 60% no claims discount but they load the premium because you have had a accident so you end up no better off -
Are any worth paying for ? your oppinions please ?
terry

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I always pay for protected no-claims bonus but have never taken out legal expenses cover.

I've never been in a situation where I've needed it and I reckon that I have saved £1000s over the years.

Maybe I'm just lucky :Smile:

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I always pay for protected no-claims bonus but have never taken out legal expenses cover.

I've never been in a situation where I've needed it and I reckon that I have saved £1000s over the years.

Maybe I'm just lucky :Smile:

I never pay for either but they usually throw it in for free MLE that is not protected NCB ::bigsmile: On the renewal it's there for 40 squid s :Eeek: so no doubt I will be asking for it taken off IF I renew ::bigsmile: that is if I cannot find a cheaper quote :Smile:
Terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
worthless ? :Smile:Simple question my ins is due for renewing and added into the quote is M.L.E cover @ just shy of £40 - Now when I asked about my recent court case they told me no cover for court etc but they do recover any thing from anyone whos fault it is after a accident etc, IN OTHER WORDS AMBULANCE chasers -witch to be honest any no win no fee lawyers will do for nothing or a cut :Smile: Now I have just read through all the bumph and guess what it all full of exclusions that to my mind renderit useless so why would I pay for it ? In fact why do any of us pay legal cover when the only time they will help is ifthey are sure they can win ? If they think they cannot win they will not give legal cover although I am paying 40 quid for it :Eeek::Angry:
A bit like protected no claims -sure they still give you 60% no claims discount but they load the premium because you have had a accident so you end up no better off -
Are any worth paying for ? your oppinions please ?
terry

Join the CSMA, (Civil Servants Motoring Association), cost £18 per year! :thumb:

Great magazine every month, discounts on many, many things including about 50% on Britannia breakdown service, currency exchange at superb rates, and free legal cover with Liverpool Victoria for all vehicles owned by you and your spouse.
:winky:

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Join the CSMA, (Civil Servants Motoring Association), cost £18 per year! :thumb:

Great magazine every month, discounts on many, many things including about 50% on Britannia breakdown service, currency exchange at superb rates, and free legal cover with Liverpool Victoria for all vehicles owned by you and your spouse.
:winky:

I am not a CS :winky: but what good is free cover if all it covers is ambulance chasing?
Terry

Last edited:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Get it free from YourKey, covers you & all the family vehicles FREE.

Broken Link Removed

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I always reject the legal cover.

If you ever did need to call on it, and assuming it was for something which was not already excluded in their T&C's (which they never want to tell you about), I hardly imagine that you are going to get the best legal advice and representation available.

it's another money making add on for the Insurance Companies.....

:Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
worth it if you have to fight an uninsured driver claim in court.

That could cost you thousands in solicitor/barristers fees if the other driver hasn't got a pot to pi$$ in.

I never bothered before but it makes sense....for an extra £30 for me

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

That could cost you thousands in solicitor/barristers fees if the other driver hasn't got a pot to pi$$ in.

Our vehicle policies now already include full cover against uninsured drivers....

It's not an add on, and I guess it's paid for in the premium already...

:Smile:

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
I am not a CS :winky: but what good is free cover if all it covers is ambulance chasing?
Terry

It does not cover ambulance chasing and you do not need to be a CS to join. Anyone can join and it's a very useful organisation to be involved with, as is Motorhome fun and you don't need to be a motorhome owner to join that either.

If you are hit by an uninsured driver, the chances are that you will be glad to have it!

I have personal experience of this and having suffered a physical attack on a brand new car while my wife and I were in it, I would not be without legal cover. The damage amounted to over £2,000 and, although I had protected bonus, the renewal premium was loaded. The legal cover that I had reversed this and the culprit was charged.

The problem is that no claims bonus is not a no blame bonus and if and when you have to make a claim this will become all to evident, I can assure you!

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
one thing to bear in mind..

We have it on the Van but not on the car. You do not need it on every vechile. It's you that becomes insured on it.

And yes I have used it, and it done me well when I was knocked off my bike by a Blind magistrate who never saw me coming at xxx mph (removed for protection). I mean, blind or what!! :RollEyes:

She claimed it was my fault for going to fast, she ended up being charged with DWDCA, I got my body rebuilt and my bike replaced. :thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
one thing to bear in mind..

We have it on the Van but not on the car. You do not need it on every vechile. It's you that becomes insured on it.

And yes I have used it, and it done me well when I was knocked off my bike by a Blind magistrate who never saw me coming at xxx mph (removed for protection). I mean, blind or what!! :RollEyes:

She claimed it was my fault for going to fast, she ended up being charged with DWDCA,[HI] I got my body rebuilt and my bike replaced.[/HI] :thumb:

I would have opted to have my bike rebuilt and my body replaced..........:RollEyes::RollEyes:

::bigsmile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I would have opted to have my bike rebuilt and my body replaced..........:RollEyes::RollEyes:

::bigsmile:

They said my body was such a marvel of genetic engineering that they would be better to repair it.

My bike on the other hand was a Suzuki TL1000s so they replaced it:winky:

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

Yes but as with all the replys they will only represent you IF there is a chance they can recover the costs --read small print :winky: If joe blogs has not got the pot to Pee in they will simply say no :Eeek:::bigsmile:
terry

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Worth every penny when you need it. Recovered my excess plus other expenses from The German who wrote my Autocruise off in 2009. BUSBY::bigsmile:

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
As above worth every envy when you need it. Don't let all your insurers, cr house etc, sell you one as you a single policy will cover for all claims or it should at least. Check the wording. You can buy it without it being sold at the same time too so shop around.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Yet again all examples of where costs can be claimed back so a Ambulance chasing firm would take them on FOC without having the insurance :Smile:
Do they do a stand alone policy that would cover all vehicles and house type legal expenses? Sort of one covers all
Terry

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
For what it's worth , I always go for it even if I don't strictly need it.

I wouldn't just have cover for a RTA though - no need.

You never know when you might need general cover though.

Losing a big case could ruin your retirement plans::Sad:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
A few years ago my daughter had a difficult claim for which her legal expenses cover first wanted her to except all blame then after much work from myself and her they insisted on knock for knock. Not happy with this and after lots more work on our part and 2 years later she got 100% reimbursement and no loss of NCB. No thanks to the legal team. Do it yourself, there is a lot less stress.:cry:

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
For what it's worth , I always go for it even if I don't strictly need it.

I wouldn't just have cover for a RTA though - no need.

You never know when you might need general cover though.

Losing a big case could ruin your retirement plans::Sad:

That's the whole point I am making Chris --the Motor legal ex cover will only work for you IF they can get there expenses off a 3rd party -they can refuse to give aid if they don't think there is any chance of recovering costs-- thereby you pay for legal cover but they have a right to refuse to work for you because they don't think they will be able to recover costs :Eeek:
Another thing happened today -I got a call from the brokers asking if I want to renew for £341 ish and built into the quote is £39 ish for MLE cover so I asked if they would take off the MLE cover and renew for £302 ? I was told that as I had been invited to renew for the quoted price IE £341 it was a take it or leave it deal :Eeek: If I wanted to change anything IE no MLE cover it would mean a total new policy less (new one on me ) the discount they were giving me for renewing ::bigsmile: This now means the cheapest quote with another ins co of £470 ish :Eeek::Eeek: b ut still through the brokers :Eeek:
So because I don't want MLE cover they are telling me that the ins (aviva) will not qoute or are quoting more than £470 yet if I pay them 40 quid they will still cover me for £341 :whatthe::Angry:
I have rang Aviva direct and they have quoted me £358 without the MLE cover but said that although I am already covered with them they cannot match the brokers discount but if I wanted to renew they would still be able to give the broker the agreed price which according to the bump they have sent is 341 less 39 mle less 20 for brokers fee -so in my mind they are willing to cover me for (Avivas PART) £283
Now this stinks to me, 1 the broker is forcing me to accept a £39 MLE that I do not want-they are the providers for the MLE so in effect they get £59 for renewing my insurance not £20 The brokers name is AUTONET if I knew where/who to complain to I would-- It stinks that Aviva will renew yet if I go direct I pay more If I don't pay MLE I pay more so come Tuesday I will be looking for another broker and ins co -ON principle I will never insure with AUTONET INS again -(Unless they knock the 39 quid off :winky:::bigsmile:joke ) and I will take every opertunity to tell others how shabbily they have treated me :thumb:
terry

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
It does not cover ambulance chasing and you do not need to be a CS to join. Anyone can join and it's a very useful organisation to be involved with, as is Motorhome fun and you don't need to be a motorhome owner to join that either.

JUST LOOKED AT THE SITE AND IT SAYS
To join you must simply be a current or past Civil Service employee including organisations with their roots in the Civil Service such as the Post Office and BT.

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
JUST LOOKED AT THE SITE AND IT SAYS
To join you must simply be a current or past Civil Service employee including organisations with their roots in the Civil Service such as the Post Office and BT.

It seems that you are absolutely right! I was under the impression that the club was open to all and I do apologise for the error. However, if you have a family member who has worked for BT, the Post Office, or any other central government paid job, they are able to join and then propose you.

Again, I am sorry for the mistake.

Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
They said my body was such a marvel of genetic engineering that they would be better to repair it.

My bike on the other hand was a [HI]Suzuki TL1000s [/HI]so they replaced it:winky:

The Widow Maker:Blush:

With or without steering damper?

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
So...has anyone identified a scenario where having MLE would be essential?

None that I can see ---AUTONET robbers have made it clear to me that they want the 40 quid proffit out of me for cover that basicaly I don't need or want and they now underwrite themselves-at least last yr they subbed it out now they do it in house--In my mind after all the small print all I see them doing is making a phone call and setting a Ambulance chasing firm on with it and if they won't takle it they have small print to refuse.::bigsmile: even though I have paid (sorry would have) 40 quid :Eeek:
Could anyone explain just why I should/would pay ? Please remember that if costs are recoverable then there are firms out there that do it for nothing and if they are not recoverable even though I pay 40 quid they will refuse to do anything :Doh::Angry:

terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back