Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
We have a 5 week holiday planned fro the summer::bigsmile:

Initial plans are to spend it around the champagne region of France.

Any advice of what or where to go, including must see locations gratefully received.

Thanks

Nigel

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We were in the Champagne region in September of last year. We stayed at a couple of free aires which we found very good. One at Mareuil Sur Ay, right by a canal and within walking distance of a lot of champagne tasting and the other at Mutigny, a smallish village with no shops. View directly from the aire over the valley, very nice.

Have fun, its a great part of the world.

Paul

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I spent nearly 10 years living in France, and have toured their at every chance for over 30 years.

I have found the Champagne region to be one of the least exciting areas of France, in fact quite dull....

If you are into the Chanpagne tasting, then maybe it is ok for a long weekend.

But 5 weeks...........:Eeek:

Just my humble opinion, I know others may have different views of course, but you did ask.

:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
I spent nearly 10 years living in France, and have toured their at every chance for over 30 years.

I have found the Champagne region to be one of the least exciting areas of France, in fact quite dull....

If you are into the Chanpagne tasting, then maybe it is ok for a long weekend.

But 5 weeks...........:Eeek:

Just my humble opinion, I know others may have different views of course, but you did ask.

:Smile:

hi Callum .... Where would you pick ?

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Hi,

For a slightly different champagne to the major bands try Joseph Perrier in Chalons en Champagne

Link Removed

Fairly small champagne house but a very good tasting tour you can book through the Chalon tourist office, when we went we were the only two people to turn up so had a personal tour through their caves which were built by the Romans and to me the best tasting champagne :thumb:

I try to get down there every so often to buy a few cases especially Josephine only produced in years when the Chardonnay grape is a particularly good crop.

Enjoy!!

Cheers
G

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98

Auvergne

Cevennes

Lot et Tarn

Provence

Ardeche

Var

There's six regions all more interesting and exciting than the Champagne region. In five weeks you could visit them all.

Just my personal opinion at the end of the day, gained from over 30 years of criss-crossing France.

:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
The Lot is brilliant, many interesting places to go, and you must try the black wine of Cahors - wonderful! St Cirque la Popie and its region is stunning - prehistoric caves with paintings, a mad museum, all great to visit!

Catherine.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring

Auvergne

Cevennes

Lot et Tarn

Provence

Ardeche

Var

There's six regions all more interesting and exciting than the Champagne region. In five weeks you could visit them all.

Just my personal opinion at the end of the day, gained from over 30 years of criss-crossing France.

:thumb:

Hi WD,

All good choices..... I enjoy great scenery, mountains, rivers, lakes, rugged coastlines. Sadly Champagne lacks almost all of these.

In no particular order.... and to name just a few Departements...

Charente Maritime
Pyrennees Atlantique & Haute Pyrennees
Haute Savoie & Savoie
Jura
Var & Provence

If you do not want to travel too far from UK, or its your first trip

Pas de Calais, Somme, Seine Maritime & Calvados have lots to offer.

This year I have all of the schools hols off, so I will revist a few places during our 6 week tour where the wife and boys (10 & 5) have not been, which will include....

Cross to Dunkirk, Luxembourg, Rhine Valley, Jura, Haute Savoie, Var, Bouches de Rhone, Herault, Pyrennees Orientales, into Spain down Med coast, cross back to N Spain. Ferry Gijon - St Nazaire and back up through Brittany & Normandy, back to Dunkirk.

Only things fixed or booked are the ferries, we will just see where we end up en route, aires, campsites, wilding as we fancy....

::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back