Fixing panel to roof help needed (1 Viewer)

Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
I bought a panel last weekend and am fixing it to a RV rubber roof any body got any tips about drilling or just gluein how did you secure your
Paul

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
My view on the subject is
If glue only is used you are in fact just relying on the glue used to stick the rubber membrane to the wooden roof:whatthe:
If screws are used you have only got a 1/8 plywood to hold the screws in. if glue and screws are used you are making the best of a bad job
I would fix rails right across the roof side to side, coach bolt right through the roof into the side upper cupboards using suitable adhesive along the length of the brackets, then bolt panels to rails, at the price of panels you don't want them blowing off at 70mph,
If you choose the screw method can i have details of your next few trips, I will follow you,
I could do with some solar units:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
My view on the subject is
If glue only is used you are in fact just relying on the glue used to stick the rubber membrane to the wooden roof:whatthe:
If screws are used you have only got a 1/8 plywood to hold the screws in. if glue and screws are used you are making the best of a bad job
I would fix rails right across the roof side to side, coach bolt right through the roof into the side upper cupboards using suitable adhesive along the length of the brackets, then bolt panels to rails, at the price of panels you don't want them blowing off at 70mph,
If you choose the screw method can i have details of your next few trips, I will follow you,
I could do with some solar units:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

My only concern would be damage to the roof panels while travelling, (having just suffered some damage from an overhanging Branch)

I agree with Geo's "belts and braces" job but I personally would fabricate some sort of "transit cover" to protect them.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi,just stick them on with Sikaflex (£6 to £12)or better still Polyseal 101 or 102 @ £2 a tube from O'learys, (you have to ask for it) then if worried make a spoiler to deflect wind out of plastic skirting sticking that to the roof as well ::bigsmile:
:thumb:terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
heres a pic of one I made for the roof vent
terry

Attachments

• Photo-00051.jpg
    Photo-00051.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 101

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Do the FIA know of this Terry?

We don't want Ferrari lodging a complaint for "illegal" aerodynamic devices!!!

I guess you get better traction at High Speed.:thumb:

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:ROFLMAO: HOLDS the rear wheels like the preverb :ROFLMAO: and stops it wheel spining :ROFLMAO::thumb:
terry

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
heres a pic of one I made for the roof vent
terry
That gives me an idea.Can you get covers like those on the vent, large enough to fit over the solar panels and act as some sort of protection.

Got to be cheaper than replacing a broken solar panel.

ie Mount the outer part of the vent to the roof with the Panel inside it.

Would also protect it from the elements.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Steve you can get window board up to 12 ins wide at reasonable cost :thumb: 16 & 24 ins wide costs about £35 plus a mtr :Eeek:
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi just re read your Q The vents tops are like rocking etc,you end up buying the whole vent.But I can get one for £190 (whole) instead of about £450 ish
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back