Numpty question time. (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
We all know not to put toilet waste containing chemicals down a "normal" toilet (don't we ?), and that we put it in the CDP provided on sites etc.
Now I know that ordinary toilet waste ends up at a sewage works somewhere to be treated, but where does chemical waste go if the water treatment plants don't want it ?
My brother-in-laws house is fairly remote and has a sceptic tank, which he can't put chemical waste in because it kills the "good" bacteria. That I understand. So back to my original question, where does chemically treated poo go ? :Blush:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It goes into the main drains alongwith the rest of the crap ::bigsmile: In most cases(prob 95%)all your waste water ends up going into one drain
exceptions being roof rainwater which (raerly)goes into a soakaway and as you already say septic tanks again most houses are conected to the main drains :thumb:so it would not matter if you emptied in the loo or not as the crap would still end up in the main sewer drain
terry

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Thanks Terry.

I had a feeling that would be the answer.
Soooooo, my next question.

If that is the case why go to all the bother of having a CDP in the first place ?
Surely it's not just so that we can clean our tanks etc without bothering other people with the waste mess ?

Or am I being to simplistic :whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Good question. My brother (who lives on a boat) says the toilets in boats is discharged into the water. So you can't help wondering why people get so het up about it.

Wyn

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Good question. My brother (who lives on a boat) says the toilets in boats is discharged into the water. So you can't help wondering why people get so het up about it.

Wyn

Tell him not to broadcast that.
Inland waterways toilet waste is supposed to be emptied on shore to be dealt with in the normal way, either pumped out or same as a MH.
Out at sea might be a different matter.

We have relatives who live on a boat. :thumb:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
There is nothing wrong with emptying black waste down a WC that is connected to the sewage.

On some sites the WCs go to a septic tank which breaks down material so they'd rather you didn't put waste with bacteria killing chemicals down their lavatories. Septic tanks still need emptying and maintenance.

Some sites ask that you don't empty cassette toilets in the WC to avoid spills and smells in their clean WC block.

If a site has a disposal point that's not connect to mains sewage it goes to a holding tank called a cesspool - the waste is pumped out of here into a tank for treatment elsewhere.

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
We use bio washing liquid, so which should that go down, in reality ?
CDP or normal loo ? I always use the CDP so as not to upset people, but I may still be getting it wrong. :Doh:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
You would be in trouble if you emptied down someones nice clean loo :Smile:Apart from people with tanks etc almost every home is built with just the one 4ins poss 6 ins drain that all water runs into then into the main drain witch will run down under the road --after all your loo flushes then that's followed by your bath water etc all going towards keeping the drain running free :winky:
terry

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
You would be in trouble if you emptied down someones nice clean loo :Smile:Apart from people with tanks etc almost every home is built with just the one 4ins poss 6 ins drain that all water runs into then into the main drain witch will run down under the road --after all your loo flushes then that's followed by your bath water etc all going towards keeping the drain running free :winky:
terry

Ours often gets emptied down the loo at home when we have just returned from a trip. It usually has no more than a days worth in though. I use the downstairs bathroom and leave the bath tap running and flush at least three times, after every rinse.

Now I'll get accused of wasting water :winky:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We all know not to put toilet waste containing chemicals down a "normal" toilet (don't we ?), and that we put it in the CDP provided on sites etc.

That's only so you don't mess up the toilet, assuming it is on mains sewage.

If the site is on tanks, they might keep separate systems so that the CDP runs to a cesspool, whilst the normal toilets, showers and sinks go to a septic tank or Klargester. This enables the bulk of the water to be processed cheaply on site, whilst the inert chemical laden cassette waste has to be expensively collected by truck.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
terry

except your next door nieghbour if I rember::bigsmile: hows that going

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
except your next door nieghbour if I rember::bigsmile: hows that going

::bigsmile:she cleared it but that was her drain running into mine that was blocked at which point it becomes a shared drian-- unfortunatly from mine to the main drain in the middle of the road remained clear so once she pushed it all along and it got to "our" bit it ran clear.:Angry:
terry

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
When I took the boat to go on the Loch Ness a few days ago, I had a little emergency and there were toilets on board. Now where do you think it all goes? Well if you use one of these boats you'll be sure just like me where it goes !! I got all wet ....yes ...on my ... each time we were meeting a wave:Eeek::Eeek:.... Quite refreshing I'm telling you!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Amicalement

Frankie

Anna

Free Member
Apr 19, 2012
Dordogne (orig.Scotland)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Feb 2012
Yip, that's us ha ha.....just not called Broon! Was brought up with the Sunday Post! Remember well, putting the jellie jar, with 4d in it, on the front door step on a Saturday nicht for the Sunday Post to be paid to be delivered on the Sunday mornin. Then there was always a fight between my brother and me as we both wanted the centre pull out which had the Broons, Oor Wullie and the games! Those were the days lol! Fair braw ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Yip, that's us ha ha.....just not called Broon! Was brought up with the Sunday Post! Remember well, putting the jellie jar, with 4d in it, on the front door step on a Saturday nicht for the Sunday Post to be paid to be delivered on the Sunday mornin. Then there was always a fight between my brother and me as we both wanted the centre pull out which had the Broons, Oor Wullie and the games! Those were the days lol! Fair braw ::bigsmile:

My dad was a Scot and we had the Sunday Post every week.
One of the highlights was sitting round after sunday lunch and trying to answer the quiz questions. :RollEyes:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009

Wyn

Friends of ours, who live in Abingdon and have riverside mooring, are always moaning about the 'live-aboards' who empty their waste into the Thames when it should be emptied at proper disposal points.
Mike

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Friends of ours, who live in Abingdon and have riverside mooring, are always moaning about the 'live-aboards' who empty their waste into the Thames when it should be emptied at proper disposal points.
Mike

I'm pretty sure that in the UK that is illegal. In France/Germany, the laws do allow boat toilets to discharge into flowing rivers (but not canals I believe).

Tim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back