lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Now some of you might think this is a sh*t post :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

We changed our mh beginning of February and each time we used the cassette we always found there was a very slight smell and no matter how much flushing through it never really went away. Now we use the cassette for what it's designed for but if on a site we tend to use their toilets and never had a smell in the four years of owning the last one.

Anyway while getting the van ready for this weekend I decided to give the cassette a good scrub, so with my pink marigold and stuck my hand in the opened flap then realised this wouldn't do. So downloaded the instructions and totally dismantle the cassette and pressure washed all the bits that's could be and cleaned all the rest with a toothbrush forgot to tell Lorraine I'd used her brush :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Well its all sparkling now and back together and the moral of this is if you do number twos in your loo I can assure you just emptying it and flushing it through doesn't get to all the corners without going in to details.

Just a word of warning if you do this don't pressure was them next to the neighbours car :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I did think of doing as a business but the pays s** t :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I hate to think what the inside of my cassette is like:Eeek:. After 4 years of fulltime use and only getting the occasional rinse.

I don't see the point in cleaning it as I am just going to make a mess of it again in an hour or two. It's not like I am preparing food on it or anything.

I haven't even needed to change the seal, although I do occasionally pour pickling vinegar in the bowl to get rid of limescale build up which causes the seal not to seal properly.

Every 3 months or so I pour pickling vinnegar in, leave it for 2 hours. Rinse then pour bleach down, leave for 2 hours rinse then pour a little cooking oil in.

This has kept the seals in perfect nick for 4 years now :thumb:

I am not concerned with what is going on inside the cassette and I don't really want to think about it :ROFLMAO:

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Please, please help!!!

Hello All You Lovely Funsters,

I am afraid, very, very afraid!! I am not sure what to do and desperately, need advice! The last thing that I want to do is to offend anyone but needs must when the devil drives!

I have a very delicate question indeed?

How do you use your Thetford Crapper? I am referring to the “solids” aspect of use!

I have been giving a great deal of thought to the mechanical side of this and, after discussing this subject with several other Funsters I have, surprisingly, discovered that the various methods employed by users are extremely varied to say the least.

Do you:-

a. Open the trap and aim, hoping for the best?

b. If you do aim, is it advisable to use a “plumb line” to ensure an accurate landing? After all, our anatomy does vary from person to person and “size”, (of both the individual and the product), is an important aspect to consider.

c. Is it necessary to “hover” or is the Thetford engineered to take the “strain”?

d. Leave the trap closed and “tease” the deposits down with a spoon, stick, fork or something similar?

e. If you leave the trap closed, do you partially fill the bowl with water to enable, perhaps, “swimming to take place”?

f. Do you “line” the bowl with paper to “soften” the drop?

g. Is consistency an important point to consider before “performing”?

h. Is it safe to make use of the facility whilst travelling,( seat belt fitted, available and fastened, of course)? Also, if this is permitted would it be beneficial to be driving in “turd” gear?

i. Are straining bars available and can they be fitted at shows? We will be at Knutsford and Malvern if this is possible.

I know that there are many, many other points worthy of consideration and many that I am, no doubt, unaware of but I am sure many of you will have experience of them.

I should be very grateful to anyone who might be able to offer advice on this subject. There must be some heavy users out there who are very knowledgeable in respect of this matter, particularly those with considerable personal and problematical experience!

Frankly, I am tired of using the “bucket and chuckit” system and would dearly love to be able to make full use of the Theford without fear! The sooner I am able and fully confident, the better, because one day I am bound to get caught exercising the “chuckit” part of the current system.

Thank you, Funsters, in anticipation of your valuable, worthy help and your wise advice.

Oh, and please, no Pi** taking!

HOOF HEARTED

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I hate to think what the inside of my cassette is like:Eeek:. After 4 years of fulltime use and only getting the occasional rinse.

I don't see the point in cleaning it as I am just going to make a mess of it again in an hour or two. It's not like I am preparing food on it or anything.

I haven't even needed to change the seal, although I do occasionally pour pickling vinegar in the bowl to get rid of limescale build up which causes the seal not to seal properly.

Every 3 months or so I pour pickling vinnegar in, leave it for 2 hours. Rinse then pour bleach down, leave for 2 hours rinse then pour a little cooking oil in.

This has kept the seals in perfect nick for 4 years now :thumb:

I am not concerned with what is going on inside the cassette and I don't really want to think about it :ROFLMAO:

Yes I'm the same but was getting really annoyed with the smell even though it wasn't that bad so if this hasn't worked then I'm snookered.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

I am afraid, very, very afraid!! I am not sure what to do and desperately, need advice! The last thing that I want to do is to offend anyone but needs must when the devil drives!

How do you use your Thetford Crapper? I am referring to the “solids” aspect of use!

I have tried various methods and even had a sog fitted in previous vans.

I now stick to the reliable method of putting a qty of water in the closed bowl. Letting fly, then opening and closing the trap as quickly as possible.
I don't use any chemicals or other assistive devices now.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Ours gets rinsed and sloshed about as many times as it takes until the rinse water comes out looking clean (ish). Usually 2 or 3 rinses.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

I have been giving a great deal of thought to the mechanical side of this and, after discussing this subject with several other Funsters I have, surprisingly, discovered that the various methods employed by users are extremely varied to say the least.

Do you:-

a. Open the trap and aim, hoping for the best?

b. If you do aim, is it advisable to use a “plumb line” to ensure an accurate landing? After all, our anatomy does vary from person to person and “size”, (of both the individual and the product), is an important aspect to consider.

c. Is it necessary to “hover” or is the Thetford engineered to take the “strain”?

d. Leave the trap closed and “tease” the deposits down with a spoon, stick, fork or something similar?

e. If you leave the trap closed, do you partially fill the bowl with water to enable, perhaps, “swimming to take place”?

f. Do you “line” the bowl with paper to “soften” the drop?

g. Is consistency an important point to consider before “performing”?

h. Is it safe to make use of the facility whilst travelling,( seat belt fitted, available and fastened, of course)? Also, if this is permitted would it be beneficial to be driving in “turd” gear?

i. Are straining bars available and can they be fitted at shows? We will be at Knutsford and Malvern if this is possible.

I know that there are many, many other points worthy of consideration and many that I am, no doubt, unaware of but I am sure many of you will have experience of them.

I should be very grateful to anyone who might be able to offer advice on this subject. There must be some heavy users out there who are very knowledgeable in respect of this matter, particularly those with considerable personal and problematical experience!

Frankly, I am tired of using the “bucket and chuckit” system and would dearly love to be able to make full use of the Theford without fear! The sooner I am able and fully confident, the better, because one day I am bound to get caught exercising the “chuckit” part of the current system.

Thank you, Funsters, in anticipation of your valuable, worthy help and your wise advice.

Oh, and please, no Pi** taking!

HOOF HEARTED

I have just sat and belly laughed out loud at this, I am a nurse and I have a penchant for lavatorial humour. This was hilarious, made my day. :ROFLMAO:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
You should check out 'reallyretired's post here:

Broken Link Removed

Wyn

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I know it`s been on here before but it fits here and is so funny
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmokg9N7zO0"]caravan toilet - YouTube[/ame]

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
Ours gets rinsed and sloshed about as many times as it takes until the rinse water comes out looking clean (ish). Usually 2 or 3 rinses.

I read an article (MMM March 2010 "Potty Training" by John Wickersham on servicing the cassettes - this may be the same or similar from the Caravan Club website - Broken Link Removed) This suggests that swilling the inside by sloshing water around may damage the float that indicates when the tank needs emptying.

If you have the C250 cassette, you can I unscrew the large outer cap that holds the blade in place to allow easier servicing. A quick squirt with Thetford Seal lubricant keeps the blade working efficiently.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Fill the toilet bowl about 1/3 with water...just like a normal loo a water trap (for the crap)....when finished pull the lever, as the water / waste goes through the hole into the holding tank this creates a vacuum and takes away all solids and paper .... close the trap...Job done....as some may say jobby done:winky::winky:...empty every day:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loo

Every now and again, we take the cassette out and leave it full of cheap vinegar and warm water overnight to get the limescale off.

We leave the cassette outside to avoid the whiff of vinegar in the van.

Russell

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We use the line the bowl with the blue paper on a roll like kitchen roll , take a dump and when you open the trap it wraps it up nice and neat::bigsmile:

yokeljohn

Free Member
Jan 30, 2013
weston super mare.
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1985
Thetford cassette toilet

A Thetford toilet kit is available from most accessorie shops, it consists of a new seat and cover and a complete cassette, it cost around £ 60, if we bought a second hand van I think we would consider buying one . yokeljohn.

lookback

Free Member
Nov 30, 2007
Mareham le fen, Lincs
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
5 years
Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Jane & I carry our cassette together to the drop off point as it's so bloody heavy:winky::ROFLMAO: although she makes me pour and rince it while giving orders from a safe distance:ROFLMAO:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
They cost more though

Sod the cost if they work,never had a richard in ours as always stayed on sites with a WC.However i carry the parachutes should i need them.We are just putting together a plan of action. It goes like this Happy bowl,bowl of water , Lay the cable and open the draw bridge. Should there be any "graffiti" would one use a brush of sorts or would Mrs Dave have to go in with ones hand?

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
To be honest when the time comes that i have to do ah ahs and have to deal with the after maff i dont know how im gonna deal with it.I have a feeling my eyes will be streaming and stomach muscles will be torn.:ROFLMAO:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
To be honest when the time comes that i have to do ah ahs and have to deal with the after maff i dont know how im gonna deal with it.I have a feeling my eyes will be streaming and stomach muscles will be torn.:ROFLMAO:

Dave,
Whistle whilst you do it. Whistling is mostly breathing out.:thumb:

My grandaughter's eyes were once watering, but from laughing.
I took the cassette out to go empty it.
When I caught her eye, I gave it a bloody good shake,
She asked " why do you do that, grandad?"
I answered "to snap 'em up."
She collapsed laughing.
I had to put it back in so she could use it quickly before she pee'd herself laughing.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Can't see what all the fuss is about, I've emptied ours virtually everyday for the last seven years, still wind up the Mrs saying I know which ones are hers, as for cleaning the cassette thetford recommend 4 oz of bicarbonate of soda and fill with warm water and leave overnight, I'm sure the vinegar works but isn't it corrosive for the small metal parts in the mechanism? and bleach if used to often or to strong can make the plastic brittle

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back