Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
We are off on Friday for a month and there will be shops every step of the way so why do I feel the need to batch bake, make pies, get loads of fruit and veg, about 10 packets of biscuits and basically stock up for a siege? It's absolutely bonkers. Do others do this? ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Certainly did before we set off across Europe to Crete last month. Totally unnecessary apart from the Yorkshire tea bags.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Maybe its a bit like Christmas & New Year, shops shut for 1 day and all hell breaks loose and we buy loads of stuff that will never be eaten !!!!!
But to answer your question yes we always stock up on everything before we go away.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
So do we.........but why?:RollEyes:

Wyn

Probably because we like to think that we are self-sufficient in our home-away-from-home and like to adopt the "smug mode" when talking to our house dwelling friends ::bigsmile: :winky:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Having been stranded on one occasion without meals,I always ensure we have sufficient for 24 hours,usually long term storage for emergency/survival rations.
I take a slab of fruit cake and a boiled ham joint. The ham lasts for up to 2 weeks, kept cool and wrapped in greaseproof. It provides sarnies and salads for lunch,ham and eggs for dinner and the bits make a great fried rice

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
We take a modest amount of groceries with us but we do make sure we have that part baked bread that lasts for months and semi skimmed milk in those cardboard boxes.

Other than that, the thing to really watch out for is the national holidays that can easily catch you out. They don't always do it on a Monday like we do, they do it on the actual celebration date. Far too often we find nobody about and all the shops shut and we had no idea that it would happen. Therefore always have enough on Sunday and one spare day.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We usually have dinners for 3 days in the freezer where they stay if we don't need them, but yes we pack enough for a siege. Just found a box of tinned stuff under the bed in the spare room where we cleared the old van last week, shall we load it into the new one, decisions, decisions. :Doh: Do they sell milk and bread in France? :RollEyes:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Tis true.. but don't you just love that feeling of being self-sufficient having everything you need with you in the van? We do. :Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
No, don't do that.. just the very basics, milk coffee and baccy .. but when we had the RV twas a different story.... we stocked it to the gunwales as it was hard to find parking close to shops with it.

Now as a happy tugger we don't need to take rations for the duration as we can park up on site then visit the local shops, supermarket, farmers markets etc.

so much easier with a car and caravan than a motorhome .. :thumb: :Cool: :winky:

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
Us too, always have and always will.

On a 3 month jaunt in our caravanning days we were stranded once at a Ford Dealership in the middle of an industrial estate in Girona. No shops for 7 days. Had taken a freezer full of Flank steak with us :Eeek:.

Steak for breakfast
Steak for dinner
Steak for tea

It was such a dreadful time, don't know how we survived the ordeal ::bigsmile:

Maria

Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
Living in rural Germany all the shops shut at 1300 on Saturday and don't open again until Monday morning (although most of the garages do sell the basics), we always have a base supply which we replen after every trip. Being in the Army I always manage to save a few 'boil in the bag' bits from the ration packs on exercise which are certainly a vast improvement on what was issued when I first joined back in the late 70s. They are particularly good when you are on the move with a nice selection of curries, pasta's and stews and not just good old . :spam:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
T bags, coffee and a Fray Bentos steak and kidney pie suffice. Like to buy fresh if possible.::bigsmile:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
yes we stock up to. think it started from before we had a caravan , when self catering with kids. we called it the red cross box and in the weeks leading up to the holiday jill would add something to the box ie sugar, breakfast stuff etc.then we would not be spending our holiday money on basics when we got there. cheers ivory55

OP
OP
Loujess

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Yep - the bacon joint is defrosting for boiling tomorrow, then soup with the stock. There are boxes of mince in the freezer and I'm thinking of defrosting some stewing steak to make a couple of pies. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
yes we stock up to. think it started from before we had a caravan , when self catering with kids. we called it the red cross box and in the weeks leading up to the holiday jill would add something to the box ie sugar, breakfast stuff etc.then we would not be spending our holiday money on basics when we got there. cheers ivory55

That brings back memories. My Mum always kept one in the Pantry. It was used for our holidays and then afterwards it was changed into the Christmas box. :Smile:

Maria

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We are off on Friday for a month and there will be shops every step of the way so why do I feel the need to batch bake, make pies, get loads of fruit and veg, about 10 packets of biscuits and basically stock up for a siege? It's absolutely bonkers. Do others do this? ::bigsmile:
Ivy

Nope. However, we do keep dried and tinned stuff (and olive oil, vinegar etc) in there all the time anyway. Before going away, we just decant anything useful from the house fridge (i.e. milk, pate, yoghurt, whatever) and some bread and drive off.

Crockery, cutlery, kitchen gadgets and bedding also live there full time. It does remind me that we do need to buy some RV towels (or more likely buy more towels for the house and retire some to the RV).

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
cruiser

oh yes we are filling up our tin box as we speak.only going away for a week.of to the thetford bash,then on to hemsby for the rest of the week.weather permiting that is.:thumb::thumb:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Us poor folk keep what SWMBO refers to as "the emergency meal", so that we are never completely without anything, until that has gone, of course.
It is tinned spuds, tinned peas (other tinned vegetables are available) and a tin of corned beef. Goes down a treat with butter on the spuds and HP sauce on the corned beef.

I always have plenty of liquid food stored, so we have never run out of beer, lager or wine yet. :thumb: :drink::wine::beer: :winky:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Have a lovely time you two .
Longest we've been off in the van is 2 weeks :Sad:
Even if we did stock the fridge and freezer up to bursting point it would only last 3/4 days at the most , with there being 5 of us. 3 of them empty legged teenagers :ROFLMAO:
So we fill it , use it , then when passing a supermarket , farmers market re-stock again. The carousel cupboard always has rice , pasta , sweetcorn , jars of sauces etc on it.

Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
Thought I was being so efficient on our first weekend out in the 'bus' taking a home-cooked moussaka for our first meal. Unfortunately I didn't take it out of the freezer early enough!! We walked to the nearest pub 2 miles away!! :Doh:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I always cook a meal and tub it in the fridge for the first night after traveling.

These are handy

Cook a chicken in the remoska and then put one of these uncle bens snacks in microwave for 2 minutes and it makes a nice meal.
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=270964488

They have a very long shelf life. Also do sweet and sour and Mexican chilli flavour.

Not much washing up and very tasty.

Have with French bread with 'butter' and a bottle or two of wine:Smile:

Easy, even for me.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
always keep a good stock of dinners, we don't eat out apart from the occasional fish supper. Tinned meat and fish, FB pies, pasta etc. Often bake cakes, jam tarts and things to take with us. Basically treat the van as home.
Apart from all that have a great trip Ivy and bugger the weather.

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Yes Ivy, we are the same and always have more food than we need! The first trip we ever had away in our MH (only a weekend) we had lots of food but for some reason Howie only put in ONE bottle of wine and NO beer:cry::cry: how he imagined that one bottle of wine would last all weekend I don't know:Doh: we had a four mile walk to and from the nearest village which luckily sold the required Beveridges :thumb: we have never made the same mistake since then:ROFLMAO:

Kind regards

Kath and Howie

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
If we're only going away for the weekend I tend to take everything with us. Tesco Finest meal deals are quite good for sticking in the oven when we arrive on Friday evening. Take BBQ stuff (if weather permits!), savoury rice & salmon fillets or a cooked chicken also quite handy. Got to have bacon, eggs & beans for breakfast as well. ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Loujess

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I always cook a meal and tub it in the fridge for the first night after traveling.

These are handy

Cook a chicken in the remoska and then put one of these uncle bens snacks in microwave for 2 minutes and it makes a nice meal.
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=270964488

They have a very long shelf life. Also do sweet and sour and Mexican chilli flavour.

Not much washing up and very tasty.

Have with French bread with 'butter' and a bottle or two of wine:Smile:

Easy, even for me.

I would love that and it would make life so much easier but Sandy doesn't like any of that 'foreign' stuff, although he doesn't mind Chinese too much. He can't bear the smell of Indian, doesn't like pasta (although he loves macaroni cheese) but loves mince with carrots and onions. I really like to cook garlic in a frying pan with a bit of butter and olive oil and spinach and then toss pasta in it, but I'd be the only one to eat it. Never mind, he does wash up so you can't have everything. :roflmto:

Ivy

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
We normally stick a few days meat rations in the freezer and enough other things like rice, spaghetti, onions, garlic, tinned tomatoes and salad stuff to last a couple of days just in case we get stuck anywhere. To be honest, apart from the perishables we bring a lot of it back with us:Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back