>3500kgs what is to be considered ? (1 Viewer)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Well the good news is that we've seen a van that may just satisfy our needs (long story) bad news is that is would need to be registered at 3650kgs so that we can use the 6th seat when driving. Our dealer seems a little confused about this low cost upgrade (£200) but all the homework I've done suggests its entirely possible even if I will need to upgrade my license and have a medical exam.

What other implications should I think about for a van over the 3500kg mark ?

1. Do you really respect the 3.5t limits in small villages and bridges even if the van will weigh no more
  2. Toll roads seem to be more height and number of axle oriented but are there cost increase there
  3. Any limits at camp sites or aires
  4. Any difference in speed limits

Overall I'm just wondering who would actually know the difference between 2 identical vans other than the number 5 or 6 on a piece of paper ?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
  1. Do you really respect the 3.5t limits in small villages and bridges even if the van will weigh no more
  2. Toll roads seem to be more height and number of axle oriented but are there cost increase there
  3. Any limits at camp sites or aires
  4. Any difference in speed limits
1) Yes and no. Yes if it is a physical limit. If it is the ones with a commercial vehicle overlaid with the weight then no.
2) No increase for you I wouldn't think. I did on mine because it was a tag
3) No, tends to be more to do with size than weight.
4) 50 60 70. single, dual and motorway.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
if you have to upgrade the van in order to carry six people then I suggest there will not be enough payload. Get the licence upgrade and go for a decent van with sufficient payload.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks Mr G

Obvious question..... I guess there's not a need for a large sticker on the van saying "oversize load" ::bigsmile: or more like an external weight label ?

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I'm with Wildman on this, there is no way that a 3500KG motorhome (or even one up-plated to 3650) will be able to carry six people and all thir clobber legally, not a chance! Even assuming that four of those people are little people we're probably looking at an average weight of 30-40 KGs per young person plus two adults at least weighing 75KGs each.

4 X 35 KGs = 140 KGs
2 X 75 KGs = 150 KGs

There's 290 KGs of load before you add any water, clothes, food, drinks, toys, games, gas, awning, bikes, etc, etc, etc.

D.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just to clarify the signs post I made. I would ignore one but not the other...

Attachments

• max weidght.png
    max weidght.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 7.5 goods vehicle.jpg
    7.5 goods vehicle.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 3

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Do you really respect the 3.5t limits in small villages and bridges even if the van will weigh no more?

We follow the rules, you do not know how narrow the road might be

Toll roads seem to be more height and number of axle oriented.
Agreed - hieght and number of axles seem to be the governing factor.

Any limits at camp sites or aires - yes - for example the Aire at Sully sur Loire cannot be accessed by longer vehicles - we had to park on the roundabout outside. Some campsites charge more for heavyweights - I forget the name but one in Paris has a surcharge for over 3500kg.

Any difference in speed limits - refer to DVLA/Direct Gov website or motoring websites overseas.

We love the larger van, dont have any bother due to size, other than a few things like the aire mentioned.

Also, read the small print on breakdown cover!
Russell

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Do you really respect the 3.5t limits in small villages and bridges even if the van will weigh no more?

We follow the rules, you do not know how narrow the road might be

Toll roads seem to be more height and number of axle oriented.
Agreed - hieght and number of axles seem to be the governing factor.

Any limits at camp sites or aires - yes - for example the Aire at Sully sur Loire cannot be accessed by longer vehicles - we had to park on the roundabout outside. Some campsites charge more for heavyweights - I forget the name but one in Paris has a surcharge for over 3500kg.

Any difference in speed limits - refer to DVLA/Direct Gov website or motoring websites overseas.

We love the larger van, dont have any bother due to size, other than a few things like the aire mentioned.

Also, read the small print on breakdown cover!
Russell

OK good points. The height, length and width are the same as our current 3.5t van so no issues on size itself, its just the extra digits on the vehicle documents, this assumes same payload and same base weight of vehicles.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
if you have to upgrade the van in order to carry six people then I suggest there will not be enough payload. Get the licence upgrade and go for a decent van with sufficient payload.

I'm with Wildman on this, there is no way that a 3500KG motorhome (or even one up-plated to 3650) will be able to carry six people and all thir clobber legally, not a chance! Even assuming that four of those people are little people we're probably looking at an average weight of 30-40 KGs per young person plus two adults at least weighing 75KGs each.

4 X 35 KGs = 140 KGs
2 X 75 KGs = 150 KGs

There's 290 KGs of load before you add any water, clothes, food, drinks, toys, games, gas, awning, bikes, etc, etc, etc.

D.

This is a very good point and to be honest one that I hadn't really thought that much about.

The payload capacity is 542kgs in this potential new van vs 550kgs on our current van so no big difference but as you point out this is quickly used up.

It's a tough one really as I can't find a normal sized van (weight and size) that would have a bigger payload.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We uprated ours from 3500 3850 yours seems a rather low amount for the uprating are you sure its only 150kg.

Ours cost £240 purely a paper exercise and have a sticker to stick on the van, after that just took paper work to local DVLA. And got the log book changed. Also changed the tax class so now save £60 a year on tax.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We uprated ours from 3500 3850 yours seems a rather low amount for the uprating are you sure its only 150kg.

Ours cost £240 purely a paper exercise and have a sticker to stick on the van, after that just took paper work to local DVLA. And got the log book changed. Also changed the tax class so now save £60 a year on tax.

Yes was surprised at the 3650 upgrade as it's really not that much but it's indicated as the upgrade for the additional seat.

There is a 3850 upgrade but this is only available as a factory fit due to a reinforced suspension mod.

Then there's a 4000 and 4250 version but that's on a different chassis.

3850 would have been perfect:cry:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Yes was surprised at the 3650 upgrade as it's really not that much but it's indicated as the upgrade for the additional seat.

There is a 3850 upgrade but this is only available as a factory fit due to a reinforced suspension mod.

Then there's a 4000 and 4250 version but that's on a different chassis.

3850 would have been perfect:cry:

Why don't you give these guys a call they done mine and very helpful they can also tell you what weight you can take it to without any work.

Link Removed

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I'd go for the 4250 KG version, if its over 3500 KGs you're into PHGV territory anyway and there will be no realistic difference to speed limits or whatever once you're over the 3500 KG MTPLM.

D.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks guys for the advice on this, always some good input:thumb:

Gives me more to think about and looks like a bit more homework...

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
On the speed limit question - I may be wrong but in the UK it is based on the MIRO from the Manufacturer rather than the GVW.
Our Carioca 656 is supposed to be 2910kg MIRO so is subject to 60/70/70 mph although it is plated to 3700kg GVW whereas our Hymer B634 was over 3050kg MIRO (plated 3900kg GVW) and was subject to 50/60/70 mph.

In France it goes on GVW and over 3500kg is 80/100/110 kph

On the question of payload I would ignore the Manufacturers/Dealers claims and weigh the vehicle yourself. That way you know where you stand and what extras you can load up (usually wine in our case) We weighed ours with the two of us in Holiday Mode and it came in a 3300kg so plated to 3700kg gives us 400kg for 2 extra adults, 1 x baby and their kit. Although its a bit tight its doable (we wont be able to bring much wine back though)

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years

Ours cost £240 purely a paper exercise and have a sticker to stick on the van, after that just took paper work to local DVLA. And got the log book changed. [HI]Also changed the tax class so now save £60 a year on tax[/HI].

I'm hoping to do this when we get home after our summer trip. Did you change it to Private heavy goods? I was told by someone at DVLA that there was no such class but my local office (and the internet) says there is! Was it much hassle?
jacky

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
One thing to consider if you intend to do a lot of European travel is that in the countries you have to buy a vignette or similar the rules are different for >3500kg and you have to provide documentation to show the weight so no getting away with it!

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
On the speed limit question - I may be wrong but in the UK it is based on the MIRO from the Manufacturer rather than the GVW.
Our Carioca 656 is supposed to be 2910kg MIRO so is subject to 60/70/70 mph although it is plated to 3700kg GVW whereas our Hymer B634 was over 3050kg MIRO (plated 3900kg GVW) and was subject to 50/60/70 mph.

In France it goes on GVW and over 3500kg is 80/100/110 kph

On the question of payload I would ignore the Manufacturers/Dealers claims and weigh the vehicle yourself. That way you know where you stand and what extras you can load up (usually wine in our case) We weighed ours with the two of us in Holiday Mode and it came in a 3300kg so plated to 3700kg gives us 400kg for 2 extra adults, 1 x baby and their kit. Although its a bit tight its doable (we wont be able to bring much wine back though)

400kgs of wine would be possible......

Makes sense to weigh the van as we did with our current one and it came slightly lighter that the calculations although with more on the back axle due to the rear bike rack.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
One thing to consider if you intend to do a lot of European travel is that in the countries you have to buy a vignette or similar the rules are different for >3500kg and you have to provide documentation to show the weight so no getting away with it!

If we go 3650 will be flying under the radar that's for sure as the van will look the same as any 3500kgs version. Never been asked before and it's not a large van. Suspect if you have something twin axle or 8m+ then you'll get pulled up.

Having Swiss plates also helps us sail through most places as well::bigsmile:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Why don't you give these guys a call they done mine and very helpful they can also tell you what weight you can take it to without any work.

Link Removed

I'm hoping to do this when we get home after our summer trip. Did you change it to Private heavy goods? I was told by someone at DVLA that there was no such class but my local office (and the internet) says there is! Was it much hassle?
jacky

Hi jaygee I used the above company I only had to give them info they did the rest, then when I got the documents from them just took them to my local DVLA office with the current tax disc took about 10 mins and they issued me with new disc and sent a refund in post for the difference in tax.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back