SatNav question(s) - Total newbie (1 Viewer)

Bridie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2010
Bonnie Dundee
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
Since July 2013
Hi

I have never had/used a car GPS so please bear with me.

Thinking of buying one but wondering how it/they update their maps or anything else for that matter like POIs etc. Is it via your home computer, if so are most Apple compatible?

Thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
update via PC/MAC then upload to satnav unit.

maps can be quite expensive.

my TomTom GO900 is over 7 years old and still running on the original maps.

if a road route has changed (new road, bypasses etc..re: A1M near Leeds) you know you are going to get back on the original road before long so cant really see the point in updating.

last time i did buy maps was for a Navman in 2005 and the maps (Western Europe on disc) were still out of date.....£100 wasted and the reason for buying the TomTom, after Emailing Navman to tell them their product was crap and it was now in the bin.

number of times i smacked it off the windscreen in anger in Spain i'm surprised it still worked at all. :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

gypsyrose

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Mid Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years plus
After battery going in our Tom Tom, we went for a Garmin which we could not get along with at all!! Fortunately, we had a refund. :winky:
Decided not to spend so much and took a chance on an unknown make (to us) PNavi
Link Removed
Bought from Ebay, yes, free map updates for life, so many excellent features, you would not believe. Manual is pretty useless but good support from the seller means we are more then happy!! :thumb:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I can only comment on Garmin because that's the only sort I have bought. I have a Nüvi 250W with European mapping; it's now about five years old and I've never paid to update the maps. I chose Garmin because they invented the GPS and, at the time, were the only ones that could take lat-long coordinates (no longer the case though - other do too now).
If you choose Garmin and want to use it with a Mac, I suggest you download three software applications.
Garmin Web-updater and Garmin POI Loader - both from the Garmin website. The first enables you to update firmware and maps etc., the second enables you to upload your own POI files.
Then also get GPS Babelfish http://www.gpsbabel.org/ This is a POI format converter enabling you to switch pretty much any POI file into either CSV or GPX format for the Garmin. It is the only converter I have found that runs on a Mac and is free.
To install POI files, you organise your selection on the Mac, using sub-folders if required, then put them into an upload folder, connect the Garmin to the Mac via USB and run Garmin POI Loader.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I have a TomTom Go720, which is now at least 6 years old and still going great.

I have used the 18 month discounted map updates since they started the scheme and I think it cost me around £45 last time which gives me at least 6 full map updates over the 18 month period. The new maps are loaded on a 8gb sd card so there is no need for this stupid Zone system they use on the units without the card slot

I also have the map share updates which are free.

It works very well with the Mac and POIs can be easily added as required.

I had to replace the battery a couple of years ago, which is an easy DIY job at the princely sum of £9.00.

Should this one ever give up the ghost I would source another GO700 series second hand as, IMHO the new TomToms or not a patch on the earlier ones.

Pete:Cool:

PS.

The GO720 sells on eBay for around £70.00. or less and they are virtually indestructible, compared to the newer models.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Dont buy a sat nab
Use google maps on your iPhone
Buy a car charger and cradle

Tried out the freebe co- pilot app a few times on my android, but it kept freezing up so--
I now am trying out Google maps with navigation app as well.
Works well so far.
I have fitted a larger --micro sd card in my phone and have downloaded (cached) all the maps of Europe.
Will my phone still need a data signal to find it`s way?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Most POI files are freely available via the Satnav's update interface or after an online search. POIs don't update automatically as far as I'm aware.

You can make your own POI files using www.poieditor.com, or as the result of searching an online directory for specific types of shop/business then outputting the results as a POI file.

Map update subscriptions seem costly, and out of date maps only rarely create navigation problems. Probably best to wait until you buy a new unit - they don't last forever.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Tried out the freebe co- pilot app a few times on my android, but it kept freezing up so--
I now am trying out Google maps with navigation app as well.
Works well so far.
I have fitted a larger --micro sd card in my phone and have downloaded (cached) all the maps of Europe.
Will my phone still need a data signal to find it`s way?

Yes it will.

I am using co pilot at present and it's very good. It can use tomtom pop's too

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
I bought the tom tom app for my iPad and can also use it on my iPhone. It cost £79 and you get map updates automatically at no extra cost.
I also have a Tom Tom which we still use but the maps are now well out of date although we haven't had too much of a problem with this - it's only new roads you'll be missing.
Out of the two I much prefer my iPad tom tom!!:thumb:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Ive got a garmin nuvi 1490, comes with free lifetime map updates, I paid around £140ish for it about 18 months ago, just bought another s/h off of ebay for less than £60 easy to update the free mapping with a pc but it does take a while so best done over night

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Decided not to spend so much and took a chance on an unknown make (to us) PNavi
Link Removed
Bought from Ebay, yes, free map updates for life, so many excellent features, you would not believe. Manual is pretty useless but good support from the seller means we are more then happy!! :thumb:

Does your use Igo8 or Igo9(primo)?

Wyn

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have a pretty ancient Tom Tom that I have never updated, occasionally new roads will throw you awry but the sat nav will still get you back on the right route eventually. We have used it very successfully in Europe too. ::bigsmile:

Steveboy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2011
Wherever my wheels stop.
Funster No
MH
Rapido 972M
Exp
Fulltime since 2011
Co pilot

cannot recommend Co Pilot full European highly enough. Been using it as my sole sat nav for 2 years now on my HTC sensation smart phone. It has its quirks but you soon get used to them. The programmability of it is great as I spend most of my time on smaller roads. want safety - set it as a motorhome. want a bit of fun - set it as a car. want an adventure - set it as a motorbike .... boy thats fun.
At £32.00 all in it has been one of the best purchases I have made.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
cannot recommend Co Pilot full European highly enough. Been using it as my sole sat nav for 2 years now on my HTC sensation smart phone. It has its quirks but you soon get used to them. The programmability of it is great as I spend most of my time on smaller roads. want safety - set it as a motorhome. want a bit of fun - set it as a car. want an adventure - set it as a motorbike .... boy thats fun.
At £32.00 all in it has been one of the best purchases I have made.

Wholly agree with the above - Co-Pilot way cheaper and much better on my Samsung smartphone than any dedicated satnav I've had, Garmin particularly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back