Smart Car Pulse - Can it be Towed? (1 Viewer)

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Just a shot in the dark!

I've been offered a Smart Car Pulse - would anyone know if these cars are suitable for towing?

Cheers

John

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
As far as I'm aware the Smart has an automated manual gearbox, so should be capable of being towed (cos you can put it in neutral!).

Knowing me as I do however (and my lack of specific knowledge!), I would recommend that you ask a dealer or check their website etc to get the definitive answer!

Simon
:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
ignition on, select neutral, ignition off.
just selecting neutral on the selector lever isnt good enough as its an electrically controlled box and needs electrical power to move to neutral.
without power the lever will show neutral, but the box is still in drive.

i believe the key cant be removed unless in park so you need another key to lock the doors...even on an A frame

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
ignition on, select neutral, ignition off.
just selecting neutral on the selector lever isnt good enough as its an electrically controlled box and needs electrical power to move to neutral.
without power the lever will show neutral, but the box is still in drive.

i believe the key cant be removed unless in park so you need another key to lock the doors...even on an A frame

I've had two smarts, yes they can be put into neutral and towed but like Papajohn says, have the ignition on to put it into neutral, also there is no park on a smart and once in neutral the keys can be removed and the doors locked :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I've had two smarts, yes they can be put into neutral and towed but like Papajohn says, have the ignition on to put it into neutral, also there is no park on a smart and once in neutral the keys can be removed and the doors locked :thumb:

i stand corrected on the key issue...thanks :thumb:

But does removal of the key not set the electronic steering lock ?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
intersting point that.. I have had countless smarties and every model bar a crossblade but have no idea if the steering lock activates with the key removed.. I shall test it tomorrow !

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
According to Smart, they can be towed for a maximum of 30 miles, at a maximum of 30 mph.
Your choice.

Craig

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
I have a Smart car that I tow all over the country. I bought it from a motor homer that had already had it converted. I just put it in neutral with the ignition on and then switch ignition off.

It tows superb but I've got to admit the steering lock has never been a thought. Maybe it is disabled when the car is wired for towing.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
According to Smart, they can be towed for a maximum of 30 miles, at a maximum of 30 mph.
Your choice.

Craig

That is the correct generic answer to
"Can I tow an Automatic":Doh:

As already stated The Smart is not an automatic, but a manual that has been automated.
A huge technical difference:thumb:
Smarts have been sucsessfully towed for hundreds of thousands of miles
There have been disasters caused by human failings in selcting neutral incorrectly
G

Last edited:

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I towed mine for hundreds of miles, if not thousands. There is no steering lock on a Smart.

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Thanks guys, all very positive.

Last year I purchased a Car-A-Tow 'A' frame, it had been used with a Fiat Punto.

I'm guessing that if I purchase the Smart Car I'll have to get it modified to take the frame and maybe some bespoke parts for the frame.

Anyone got knowledge of what's involved and cost to get the car done?

Cheers

John

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Ihave also towed a Smart, unfortunately , although I had put it in neutral and switched the ignition off it STAYED IN GEAR this was because I HADN'T PRESSED THE BRAKE PEDAL this actually completes the circuit to enable neutral to be selected. So make sure you push the brake pedal,AFTER selecting neutral.
Hope this helps avoid any problems for you, .
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back