Free Member
May 20, 2013
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Born again motorhomer
Apologies if this has been covered before but I've had a quick scan through the Motorhome Insurance forum and couldn't find anything.

With a new van do members tend to rely on the free breakdown service that comes with the base vehicle warranty, or do you stump up for separate breakdown cover with your insurance?

I am taking delivery of a new Ducato-based motorhome next month and have tried to find out from Fiat Professional if I will get a period of free European roadside assistance and recovery for a conversion of the length and weight of my van.

Their reply "[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]We can confirm that the Road side assistace offered is for the length of the contractual warranty and therefore would be for two years for the vehicle you have mentioned" is somewhat positive but does leave me wondering if recovery is included and what small print might be hiding in the warranty contract.:Sad:
[/FONT]

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
IMO Fiat roadside assistance is the best you can get.

They will even come out free if you put the wrong fuel in.

Not that i have yet.

Frrephone

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We had 3 years free fiat breakdown with our van until end of March this year.
Never had to use them thankfully but now have the reduced price cover included with our insurance.
Didn't have any other breakdown except fiat though for 3 years.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
My experience of their cover was far from satisfactory,especially if you break down in Wales!
The calls went through to Italy then they called out an agent,at that time it was the RAC,on one occasion I must have met the only geographically challenged patrolman in Wales!
Their utter incompetence cost me £220,as I had to use the police recovery and they also lost track of my vehicle for 24 hours! I would make my own arrangements,either via insurance or independently.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
RAC

Why blame Fiat, it was the RAC who let you down even though they were acting as Fiat's agent. So good reason to stay clear of them I wonder if they would have done any better if you were a member.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I was a member of the RAC. I phoned them up when I broke down. They said they would call the AA for me as it was covered under the Fiat Warranty.

Both RAC and AA turned up within 5 minutes of each other :ROFLMAO:.

Turned out it was only the turbo pipe had popped off.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Turned out it was only the turbo pipe had popped off.

I'm guessing that was the pipe on the inter cooler - engine runs but with low power and lots of white smoke?

I had committed to a buy an all singing all dancing recovery policy via my insurance company and then collected the vehicle and found I had free RAC cover.

I didn't cancel my own policy - I think it provides more cover (but don't quote me on that)

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CaptainFun

Free Member
May 20, 2013
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Born again motorhomer
Thanks all for the replies.

Currently the Fiat breakdown cover is provided in the UK by the AA and the Aviva breakdown cover (which is behind most of the brokers it seems) is the RAC.

The Aviva motorhome breakdown cover is claimed to provide roadside assistance plus recovery throughout Europe and only adds £58 to the cost of a policy. I think I will have that for the peace of mind that it is specific motorhome cover. :RollEyes:

Findlaters

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
North East Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Into our 4th year
I used Fiat recovery two months ago. A bolt holding the back plate on the rear brake dropped into the drum and wrecked the ABS sender. Fiat sent out an RAC recovery vehicle which was too short for our 7.7m van, the second one was also too small but the 3rd one (an articulated low loader) was just right:thumb :

The fault was attributed to ALKO who paid £750 for it under warranty

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Why blame Fiat, it was the RAC who let you down even though they were acting as Fiat's agent. So good reason to stay clear of them I wonder if they would have done any better if you were a member.
A bit of difficulty at Fiat assist control who had great difficulty with Welsh place names and distances from Chester as well as quite a dodgy mapping system.!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back