Hyundai Generators advice/thoughts (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Yo All

Having lost a lot of dosh on a powerful solar system fitted to previous van when we traded it in I'm leaning toward a small generator for winter touring battery top ups. New van has a 100w solar panel fitted as standard which performs admirably but we do a lot of rallying off ehu and some wilding. At least with a genny I stand to recoup a bigger percentage of outlay should we sell it.

Obviously Honda are the tops or so they'd have you believe but prices are buttock clenching to say the least and I wonder if its the name that you pay the extra for. Enough of my ramblings, has anyone any experience or advice of the newish range of Hyundai generators in particular the HY1000si.

On a recent rally a friend had a Kipor and another had a Honda, both the same size ie 1000w but thats where the similarities ended the Kipor was a lot noisier. :whatthe:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yo All

Having lost a lot of dosh on a powerful solar system fitted to previous van when we traded it in I'm leaning toward a small generator for winter touring battery top ups. New van has a 100w solar panel fitted as standard which performs admirably but we do a lot of rallying off ehu and some wilding. At least with a genny I stand to recoup a bigger percentage of outlay should we sell it.

Obviously Honda are the tops or so they'd have you believe but prices are buttock clenching to say the least and I wonder if its the name that you pay the extra for. Enough of my ramblings, has anyone any experience or advice of the newish range of Hyundai generators in particular the HY1000si.

On a recent rally a friend had a Kipor and another had a Honda, both the same size ie 1000w but thats where the similarities ended the Kipor was a lot noisier. :whatthe:
as will be the Hyundai.

Honda charge a premium for the research, quality, design and workmanship involved and i dont have one so not pushing the product......i have a Kipor IG2600.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
I have the Hyundai model you mention and although I havn't used it yet as such I have been starting it every week and it seems good quality and reasonably quiet to me, I bought mine through a local garden equipment supplier in Acle near Norwich and got a very good discount they also check everything fill up with oil and fuel so it's ready to go, you should be able to find a local dealer via this page http://www.hyundai-generators.co.uk/ mine also came with a 2 year warranty which I think is standard for these. I certainly could justify paying almost double for the Honda as mine will be tucked up under the motorhome body which will cut the noise down a bit more.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

happypre65

Free Member
Nov 12, 2010
Funster No
Hyundia generators advise/thoughts

Hi,All i can say is i go to a field most weekends to do my sport, and generators are banned from 8.0pm till 8.0 am most annoying things and anti social,the money could be better spent on a solar panel,and as for Honda,you pay your money and you get the product relevent for the price,this is only my thoughts and i am not trying to have a go at you,regards H.::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Given that you already have a 100W solar panel it might be worth assessing (and possibly modifying) power usage before spending money.

Our battery is 85Ah and we had an 80W solar panel fitted when we bought the van. I also changed all lights to LED.

Apart from the lights all we have are the water pump, blown air heating fan (much less power hungry than we thought it might be) and recharging of e-readers/phones/computers &c to power.

We have a small TV which uses very little power but have only used it twice since we bought this van, preferring to read.

We've used the van off mains on all trips except one since we had the panel fitted (including the Peterborough wash-out when we needed the heating/lights more than expected) and the panel has coped very well in keeping the battery topped up.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Given that you already have a 100W solar panel it might be worth assessing (and possibly modifying) power usage before spending money.

Our battery is 85Ah and we had an 80W solar panel fitted when we bought the van. I also changed all lights to LED.

Apart from the lights all we have are the water pump, blown air heating fan (much less power hungry than we thought it might be) and recharging of e-readers/phones/computers &c to power.

We have a small TV which uses very little power but have only used it twice since we bought this van, preferring to read.

We've used the van off mains on all trips except one since we had the panel fitted (including the Peterborough wash-out when we needed the heating/lights more than expected) and the panel has coped very well in keeping the battery topped up.

This is were we differ Graham, we use the van through the winter usually in Scotland and the TV is used a lot (it is low power) all AT lighting is LED. In April we were caught out in that freak heavy snow in D & G, snowed in for 4days 2 of them with no ehu as the lines were down. Obviously temperatures were low so heating etc was used we also had our 13 month old grand-daughter with us which pushed up power demands. The 100w solar panel coped resonably but under 4 inches of snow output is zilch.

The fitted Sargent power system can only take upto 125w solar so to add more complicates and increases expense and as stated in OP its money never recouped come trade in time. Our last van had a £900 solar set up fitted 19 months prior to changing (why we had to change is another story) and we only got back £300 on it.

I know the pro's and cons of generators I've been on a lot of rallies and witnessed fall outs over there use, should I purchase one it would be used in extremis only hence query as I cannot justify spending mega money on a Honda which will be rarely used.:Eeek:

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
as will be the Hyundai.

Honda charge a premium for the research, quality, design and workmanship involved and i dont have one so not pushing the product......i have a Kipor IG2600.

I also have the kipor IG2600. I had the chance to venture around a site recently comparing generators, to be honest I wouldn't change mine for a honda just because of a couple of decibels, the kipor was certainly the quitest one I heard on the day!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I don't have solar or genny and manage well without either.You could well be going for the overkill trap of wanting rather than needing.Try it out without the genny (you already have small solar) at worst you will have no tv for a night ::bigsmile: or you could if you feel the need start the big genny under the bonnet to top up your battery-it may cost you a fiver in juice (less if you run to the shops anyway) but at least then you will know you need a genny -but until I find I need one I won't be carrying one around JUST IN CASE :winky:::bigsmile:
terry

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Adding an extra battery is the cheapest and most convenient way of getting extra power. Solar is good but only for half a year in the UK. Gennies are OK, I use a 2KW Honda regularly. Carrying fuel is a pain and can be smelly.

Hondas are definitely a little quieter than others, but any genny under-load is noisy and can be unsociable. :Smile:

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Adding an extra battery is the cheapest and most convenient way of getting extra power. Solar is good but only for half a year in the UK. Gennies are OK, I use a 2KW Honda regularly. Carrying fuel is a pain and can be smelly.

Hondas are definitely a little quieter than others, but any genny under-load is noisy and can be unsociable. :Smile:

Yo Jim good to hear from you again.::bigsmile:

We have 2 x 110 ah leisure batteries fitted so not feasible to fit any more.

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
We got a 85w solar panel and works fine charging both 115ah batteries, we also carry a
Hyundai HY1000si, for charging the computer, phones etc, quite quietish unless under heavy load, we used it for a couple hours at Newbury last weekend.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
This is were we differ Graham, we use the van through the winter usually in Scotland and the TV is used a lot (it is low power) all AT lighting is LED. In April we were caught out in that freak heavy snow in D & G, snowed in for 4days 2 of them with no ehu as the lines were down. Obviously temperatures were low so heating etc was used we also had our 13 month old grand-daughter with us which pushed up power demands. The 100w solar panel coped resonably but under 4 inches of snow output is zilch.(snip)

Fair enough Stewart. I suppose it would be a bit expensive to move south to avoid the snow :Smile:

Jill mentions getting an efoy fuel cell from time to time but I keep managing to put her off ::bigsmile:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
I did originally consider solar but as my DC electrics and charging system is 24v it was going to work out very expensive both in cost and roof space and half the year would have a very limited output, I opted for the Hyundai 1000si with this and the on board charger I have fitted I should only need to run it for around an hour and can put back into my batteries a lot more than I could have achieved in a day or more with solar panels plus also be charging /powering other items at the same time, seemed a no brainer to me, I can't see how such limited use of the genny should upset anyone, if it does then have probably pitched to close for comfort.

Feb 20, 2012
Southbourne, Bournemouth.
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 712SB
Exp
15 years
Hyundai Generator

Hi all,

Just thought I'd stick my two penneth in...

I have just bought a Hyundai generator and it really is a lovely piece of kit. Honda are awesome but up to triple the price. The Hyundai is quiet and only gets noisier when switched to Econ mode and given a heavy load. The 10000si is only 13Kg and very practical. Build quality is excellent and it comes with a complete service tool kit, oil, spare spark plug and full instructions.

Very pleased with it. :thumb:

Mike.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Very valid point Fulltimer makes. If you are going to use a generator regularly to recharge your batteries then get a decent high output charger. The charger built in to most MH is a max of about 18A but in practice a lot less. Your generator may be producing 1Kw but only a fifth of this at best ever reaches your battery if you use the built in charger so you waste a lot of fuel.

Something like this perhaps

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-SUPERBOOST180-Starter-Charger-40Amp/dp/B000ROD8YY/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1369602960&sr=8-12&keywords=12v+battery+charger+40Amp"]Sealey SUPERBOOST180 Starter/Charger 180/40Amp 12/24V 230V: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools[/ame]

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back