LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We bit the bullet and recently forked out an extra £5 per night for the dogs when we booked a site near Bath because that was where we wanted to stay.

I'm noticing that a lot of sites are charging £1 - £2.50 per dog per night.

Is this to discourage dog-owners or is it a 'stealth tax' because so many motorhomers/caravanners take their dogs on holiday with them?

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
My Goodness! £5.00 is a bit extravagant but if that site was where you wanted to be you had no option.

I believe charging for a dog is a stealth tax. Thankfully most owners in the UK pick up now even if receptacles are not provided. I'm sure the charge is to cover those that don't have control over their animals, either behavior or toilet requirements.

Once again those who comply are made to pay for those who do not!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We recently stayed a couple of nights at Loch Ken and were charged £2 a night for our dog. The site had excellent dog walking adjacent (public footpaths so no cost to the site) but they had provided dog bins at all access points, which were regularly emptied. I thought a charge was quite reasonable under these circumstances as something was provided, however I do object to those sites which charge without actually providing anything for the money.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
I was charged £2.00 per night for my dog at Lake Bala and no bins were provided and no dog walking area either! Fortunately there was a walk next to the site up into the hills so Storm was well catered for.

It annoys me though, my dog costs them nothing, as I clean up after her. I can understand if facilities specific to dogs are provided by the campsite and they then charge a bit - feel £5.00 is a bit pricey though!

But needs must when the devil drives as the old cliche says!:cry:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>> Charging for dogs on sites

For a moment I thought you'd got an electric dog.

Ace idea or what !

No emission problems.

Turn the damned thing off when you tire of it's yapping.

Not only bite burglars but electrocute them.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the only thing my dogs charge up on is natural gas.....now if I could capture and bottle it, that would make lpg redundant :ROFLMAO:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I do like dog owners who clean up.

Tell me though if your dog is 300 hundred yards ahead of you and takes a cr*p out of sight of you, how do you clean up?

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
My dog doesn't get 300 yards ahead of me is the simple answer! :winky:

But I recall your post about someone letting their dog out in winter and not cleaning up after it because they couldn't see where the dog had messed.

I was camped out this weekend (carriage driving event, so camped beside a track) and some bright spark had taken their dog out for a walk and allowed their dog to poop right next to our friends tent in the track that the carriages and horses went down. Makes me mad! (and yes I did clean it up! )

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Walking in the woods this morning with Meg. Most of the dog owners do clear up (not all though I'm afraid) but some of the wider tracks have huge mounds of horse cr*p which nobody even suggests they should clear up.:whatthe:

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I'm just looking at sites for our holiday in Cornwall in September.

This is the charging system for a Caravan Club CL I looked at...

Price and booking guide

From 1 May until 1 Oct
£14 per Pitch with EHU + 2 adults
From 1 May until 1 Oct
£5 per Adult
From 1 May until 1 Oct
£3 per Child
From 1 May until 1 Oct
£2 per Awning
From 1 May until 1 Oct
£1 per Dog
From 1 May until 1 Oct
£2 per Extra car
MVs min 3 days

Milking it or what??? That makes it more expensive than an all-singing all-dancing club site!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Walking in the woods this morning with Meg. Most of the dog owners do clear up (not all though I'm afraid) but some of the wider tracks have huge mounds of horse cr*p which nobody even suggests they should clear up.:whatthe:

Neither do sheep, cows, badgers, rabbits, foxes, wild boar, hares, wildebeest. OK, you don't want dog crap in the kid's playground but there are places where it is quite natural.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I wasn't having a go at dog owners by the way.

I was in Wales over Easter and the track from the site to the beach was a minefield of dog mess. My Mum's two spaniels were nowhere to be seen , yet she is meticulous in terms of cleaning up their mess.:Doh:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We thought of taking Toby our jack Russell to Lake Garda with us a couple of years ago and one site we liked wanted €7 a night I emailed them asking what he got for this price and if he could use the water slides I got an email back telling me I wasn't welcome :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. In the end we didn't take him as we planned on doing a few day trips and wouldn't be fair on him stuck in MH all day in about 35 degrees.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008

That's because horse crap is benevolent dung, which smells only of vegetable matter and is such a valuable manure product I'm surprised that you didn't grab it yourself. Dog and cat crap is very unpleasant and not helpful to gardeners at all - no-one likes it!

Catherine

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
We bit the bullet and recently forked out an extra £5 per night for the dogs when we booked a site near Bath because that was where we wanted to stay.

I'm noticing that a lot of sites are charging £1 - £2.50 per dog per night." QUOTE

We have mainly paid between £3 and £4.50 for our bichon on the majority of sites we stay at. Lots we used to use no longer accept dogs because people cant be bothered to pick up the poop.

So to us £1 - £2.50 is cheap

Here is what we think is the reasoning:-

1. Dog poop collection is more expensive than normal household waste collection

2. They have to by law provide dog bins which have to by law be emptied and disposed of correctly

3. The more people pay to take their dogs the less likely they are to clear up the poop as they are either too lazy or think for the expensive price they are paying its an all inclusive service.

4. There will always be people who let their dogs poop anywhere and dont clear it up and if their dog has the runs this needs to be dealt with properly too.

AND....... continual dog wee on the grass turns it yellow so where there are designated dog areas these need re seeding yearly

It is previous dog owners faults and laziness that means those who act responsibly pay a bigger price.

As dog owners we really resent irresponsible people that have meant sites we used to use are no longer dog friendly sites

hope this is helpful

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Said it before, vote with you feet. We are a set price all year with NO EXTRAS. Makes it easier for everyone to know what they are going to pay. Campsite like us are about you just have to look. :Smile:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
I suppose it all depends on

How Many Amps
Your Dog takes to recharge.

• The new generation of robot dog!
• Mischievous and charming personality
• Acts and reacts Autonomously or via Remote Control
• User friendly, durable, and vastly more intelligent with totally upgraded CPU
• Uses built-in tilt sensor for self righting
• Place of Birth: Korea
• Available in White (Black, Blue and Pink are special order)
• This product only ships to America

The Dongbu ROBOT Genibo Robot Dog is a Bulterrier type dog. It has been designed in Korea where it has been extremely popular since 2005. This Genibo Dog has a mischievous and charming personality. It does not like to have its sides touched. It also loses energy and falls asleep when its owner does not pay attention to it for at least five minutes. It may cause trouble here and there, if vigilance is not kept. Your family will love your Genibo and feel it is a real pet dog. Like a real dog, Genibo can recognize your family and show you emotion!
Autonomous behavior
This advanced Korean Robot Dog can act freely and react without command. It also expresses love and charming acts towards the owner just like a real dog.
Voice Command recognition function
This dog recognizes commands when it is instructed to do something after touching the head and responds accordingly.
Self reaction function
For self reaction function, it uses built-in tilt sensor that recognizes the position and gets up on its own even when it falls to the side.
Photography function
This Robot can also photograph or transmit images real-time using the control manager.
Genibo control manager
It installs the software control manager for PC to control the robot's movement from the PC using wireless LAN. You can also control LED in the eyes and add on new voice commands and emotion icons into the robot.
Remote controller to control
The remote control can be used to move the robot to the left, right, front and back, to act cute or to act as if peeing.
User guide
• Turn the slide switch on the Genibo chest to the right.
• Turn on the robot by pressing on the power button located below the tail until the pink LEDs turn on.
• When the Genibo's eyes change into round shaped eyes, the robot goes into the automatic mode, acting freely and expressing emotions.
• The robot acts happily, makes sounds and expresses emotion icons of the eyes when its back is patted.
• The robot growls when its sides are touched and move the body to avoid being touched when its sides are touched for a long time.
• Voice command recognition method:
- Touch the robot's head twice
- Wait until the eyes' emotion icon changes into laughter
- Clearly pronounce the command when the emotion icon changes into laughter
(Voice command may not be recognized when the surrounding environment is noisy or when the touch on the head is not recognized)
• [HI]When the blue colored emotion icon of the battery shape is visible in the eyes (when the robot groans), it is time to recharge the robot by connecting the charger with the terminal in the stomach.[/HI]

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Said it before, vote with you feet. We are a set price all year with NO EXTRAS. Makes it easier for everyone to know what they are going to pay. Campsite like us are about you just have to look. :Smile:

..................and a great site it is to!:thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If camp sites are charging for pets and other minor things, then they are obviously having a difficult time filling pitches - have pity on them!

We as a rule do not use those that have excessive extras - I don't like being treated like a cash cow. I don't mid paying to stay on someones' site, and pay a fair price - but when it all adds up to £40 a night, you can stay empty for all I care.

There are plenty of sites that are good value, inclusive and welcome dogs and other pets without charge - they do not have to consider the costs of grass reseeding, waste removal etc - as they are always full - even in winter, these sites are still very busy.

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
We'd never dream of charging for pets - unless owners did not do the decent thing and clear up behind them! All we ask is that dogs are kept on leads when on site, which avoids fights between visiting animals, and that faeces are removed by owners.
Fortunately we have never had a problem, and we are on the "dog friendly Britain" website, so we see quite a few in the course of a year.
There is a great dog walk just 100 m for the site entrance, with a tarmac path so it is fine all year round.
We also accept children, especially if they are as well behaved as our doggy guests usually are!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Bob
www.parcverger.com

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Sandyballs, New Forest!!! Probably the most expensive unfriendly site I've ever visited:Sad:

Had a recent weekend break with friends who have 2 kiddie winkles and a lab. Price for the kids was £4 each a day and the dog was £5!!!!!:Doh:

Coupled to that you had to be off the site by 10am, what's that all about:cry:

£80 for 2 nights in a motorhome with 2 adults meant we will NEVER go back, regardless of the number of emails suggesting they're offering yet another deal, not surprised that they have to trawl as often as they do, so we've voted with our feet for sure:thumb::thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I'm afraid that reading all of this does nothing more than add to my site aversion and use of CL.s.

I like a farm CL where my dog is welcome, it can run on the fields without me having to pick up after it, and let nature do its thing.

Last week we stayed on a CL on the sanstone trail. No facilities at all other than water and waste dump in to a pit. £6 a night, no facilities equals no caravans, we were in a rather large field fenced in on all side, Tara could do as she pleased and loved it, of course we picked up after her as it would be used by others, but being able to leave her outside was bliss, she loved it, it was hard to get her back in at night, this is my idea of a site.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back