Autotrail dakoka - water heater (1 Viewer)

Muriellen

Free Member
May 19, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all Autrotrail users,

We have just bought a 2013 Dakota but only seem to get a sink full of hot water (not enough for a shower!). Has anyone else experienced this?

Our supplier mentioned the hot water tank holds 10 litres of hot water which is not a lot!! After washing up all hot water's gone!

For an award winning bathroom this doesn't seem right.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards.
Muriellen

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Most motorhomers use the shower sparingly.
That is, turn shower on and get wet, turn shower off. Rub on soap/gel/whatever/shampoo. Turn shower on and rinse soap off reasonably quickly.
We can easily get two showers out of a tank full using that method in our Auto-Trail Comanche, which should be the same size tank as yours.
A sink full (assuming you mean kitchen sink) will soon use up your 10ltr tank.
Leaving the shower running while you are soaping up will use all your hot water very quickly.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Are you sure you dont have an air lock within the system and it's not 100% full in the water heater...
Maybe try draining everything down, including the dump valve on the heater, refilling and bleeding all air out of the system.

BUT as mentioned 10ltrs is not a lot you have to learn how to use it carefully.

I dont think the award is for gallons of hot water.. :)
In total your main fresh water tank is only around 100ltrs so to fill a sink for washing up is using up to 10% of your water..!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Motorhome showers, what a fantastic asset for us all, but needs to be used sparsely, that doesn't mean not having a jolly good shower, it just means giving careful consideration and then getting into a normal showering routine:thumb:

It's commonly known as having a ships shower, whereby you get in, turn on the water and wet yourself down which is probably 30 seconds at the most, then turn off the water. Apply shampoo, water on and rinse and should be for about a minute as that's all that's required or less, then water straight off, apply second shampoo if required, but not at all necessary, water on and rinse, then water off. Condition on and then wash yourself down with the shower gel before a final rinse all over to clear hair and body and that's it, all done pink and clean::bigsmile:

The hot water tank only contains 10lts as previously mentioned, but you won't shower just from that tank or you'll get scolded. The hot has to mix with the cold, thus increasing the supply from 10 to about 13-15 litres and plenty to shower with:Smile:

I've a Dakota and I use both the electric water heater that'll maintain the water at 60* C and the gas as that'll push it up to 70*C and thus requiring to turn the water heating down in the shower, increasing the cold supply and extending the shower time. When we're showered I turn the gas off again and just maintain the temp with the electric heating element::bigsmile:

I'd defo ensure no air locks, but by now you're probably past that stage, but also ensure you've closed the drain valve fully and check outside to see if there's any signs of water under the location of the heater. Also check you've not loaded under the bed and put something heavy on the water pipes and restricted the flow supply:Eeek:

Hope it all helps and enjoy the Dakota as its an awesome home:thumb:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
You will also find that in colder times and you have the heating on, that you don't need to have the water heater on, as the water is automatically heated by a combi boiler due to the fact it is heating up anyway. :thumb:

OP
OP
M

Muriellen

Free Member
May 19, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I'm a newbie
Dakota Water Heater

Most motorhomers use the shower sparingly.
That is, turn shower on and get wet, turn shower off. Rub on soap/gel/whatever/shampoo. Turn shower on and rinse soap off reasonably quickly.
We can easily get two showers out of a tank full using that method in our Auto-Trail Comanche, which should be the same size tank as yours.
A sink full (assuming you mean kitchen sink) will soon use up your 10ltr tank.
Leaving the shower running while you are soaping up will use all your hot water very quickly.

Thanks for response, we did in fact do this but water still went freezing!! Did mean kitchen sink, but this is mixed with cold water as we do when showering but it doesn't seem much hot water. We previously had a starlett which had excellent hot water so this is very much a shock in a new motorhome.

Definitely can't get two showers out of one tank, would have to wait for another tank of water to heat up.

Well we are off to France in June so will see how it goes then but at mo sorely disappointed with hot water system.

Much appreciate your response.

Kind regards.
Muriellen

OP
OP
M

Muriellen

Free Member
May 19, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hot water

Motorhome showers, what a fantastic asset for us all, but needs to be used sparsely, that doesn't mean not having a jolly good shower, it just means giving careful consideration and then getting into a normal showering routine:thumb:

It's commonly known as having a ships shower, whereby you get in, turn on the water and wet yourself down which is probably 30 seconds at the most, then turn off the water. Apply shampoo, water on and rinse and should be for about a minute as that's all that's required or less, then water straight off, apply second shampoo if required, but not at all necessary, water on and rinse, then water off. Condition on and then wash yourself down with the shower gel before a final rinse all over to clear hair and body and that's it, all done pink and clean::bigsmile:

The hot water tank only contains 10lts as previously mentioned, but you won't shower just from that tank or you'll get scolded. The hot has to mix with the cold, thus increasing the supply from 10 to about 13-15 litres and plenty to shower with:Smile:

I've a Dakota and I use both the electric water heater that'll maintain the water at 60* C and the gas as that'll push it up to 70*C and thus requiring to turn the water heating down in the shower, increasing the cold supply and extending the shower time. When we're showered I turn the gas off again and just maintain the temp with the electric heating element::bigsmile:

I'd defo ensure no air locks, but by now you're probably past that stage, but also ensure you've closed the drain valve fully and check outside to see if there's any signs of water under the location of the heater. Also check you've not loaded under the bed and put something heavy on the water pipes and restricted the flow supply:Eeek:

Hope it all helps and enjoy the Dakota as its an awesome home:thumb:

Many thanks for response, although this is our first motorhome we had a caravan for years so do use water economically but will try again when we go away in June. We previously had a Starlett and the hot water in that was fantastic so this has come as a shock really but will take on board what you and another have said and try it again in June.

Apart from this hiccup we love the Dakota, ooh do you know if you can have the Satnav on with the radio/CD as we couldn't work this out yet.

Obviously they should provide idiot proof instructions eh:roflmto:.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Obviously they should provide idiot proof instructions eh:roflmto:.

the only problem with providing idiot proof instructions is....somebody goes and makes a better idiot :ROFLMAO:

seriously though try turning up the water temperature in the heater so it takes less HOT water to cold to make a bowlful

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
ah yes the ship's shower.:roflmto: I did that this morning! There I was in all my glory with only soap suds preserving my modesty - turned the tap on and no water came out, but could hear water running! :cry:

So, I'm going to have to strip the shower system out tomorrow as I need to be able to use it for the Thetford Bash! :RollEyes:

OP
OP
M

Muriellen

Free Member
May 19, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hot Water

Are you sure you dont have an air lock within the system and it's not 100% full in the water heater...
Maybe try draining everything down, including the dump valve on the heater, refilling and bleeding all air out of the system.

BUT as mentioned 10ltrs is not a lot you have to learn how to use it carefully.

I dont think the award is for gallons of hot water.. :)
In total your main fresh water tank is only around 100ltrs so to fill a sink for washing up is using up to 10% of your water..!

Many thanks for response, we have today drained it down and re-filled. With all the tips received thus far, we shall try it out again in June. We had a Starlett previously and plenty of hot water so this has been a shock for a new motorhome!
Anyway thanks again, appreciate ideas from everyone.
Muriellen

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back