Do you alarm your van when in it ? (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Following on from a previous thread and the replies i was wondering how many people had other security measures on their vans.
We have the normal door lock and alarm system. When going to bed we lock the doors but don't alarm the motorhome.
If i thought i needed extra security on the van , apart from the built in system , i don't think i would feel safe sleeping in the location anyway.

So out of interest who does what before sleeping ? (Lock wise :Blush::Doh:)

We have the standard alarm fitted and set it before sleeping
We have the standard alarm and don't set it before sleeping, only when leaving the van.
We have a strap , bar , chain or cable between driver and passenger door and use it every night.
We have a strap , bar chain or cable between the doors and only use it if we are parked up somewhere we feel we would need to use it.

Ive tried to do this as a vote , but it didn't worked and then i cancelled it but its still posted.
So it will have to do as it it. Sorry folks. I didnt preview it but you get the gist.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
If i thought i needed extra security on the van , apart from the built in system , i don't think i would feel safe sleeping in the location anyway.

We have the standard alarm and dont set it before sleeping, only when leaving the van.

Thats me

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If you go to new topic, they scroll down to additional options - right at the bottom is a poll option.

We used to strap the doors if anywhere we thought would need it, or an area we were unsure of.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
If you go to new topic, they scroll down to additional options - right at the bottom is a poll option.
I tried that and typically (for me) i used too many words in my poll so it wouldnt accept it :Blush:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Van has Strikeback alarm which I always set at night as well as when leaving van in the day. Can still move about in van without setting it off while doors, external lockers and bonnet remain armed. Also have deadlocks on all doors. And a dog! :Smile:

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
We allways set the alarm on a night ,as well as dead locks , just in case . we also set alarm to allow dogs to move about during the day if we leave them inside for a short period .:Smile:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
We have the standard alarm fitted and set it before sleeping.

Have tested it ( in a lay-by ) as well, so know what happens when door bonnet or garage is opened with and without "hab" occupied. Would suggest all owners test their system, so they have faith in it. We have asked a few owners in the past if they even know what their alarm sounds like and surprise they do not have a clue !!!!!

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Van has Strikeback alarm which I always set at night as well as when leaving van in the day. Can still move about in van without setting it off while doors, external lockers and bonnet remain armed.

We do exactly the same.:thumb:

Brisey.

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
Don't have an alarm, and don't very often lock the door. I work on the following principles: I have a converted prison truck, so lots of thieving scum will avoid me!

I have a dog!

I am a mean son of a bitch, if woken in the night!::bigsmile:.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Just to put things in perspective there are people in tents who have camped and never been robbed if it happens you are very unlucky and in a small minority

Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
We were considering getting an alarm system fitted before this and the other recent thread but now it's a definite!! :Eeek:

Any recomendations?? :Confused:

Mind you it does annoy me to think that we have to spend our hard-earned to protect our property from some thieving toe-rag!! :Angry:

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Does it not come with a standard beep beep alarm fitted ? Thats the only one we have 2 bleeps for when we leave the dogs in the van for movement. But the alarm goes off if the garage or any of the doors are opened.
We just don't ever set it when we go to bed. Just when we go out and leave it.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have an alarm and set it when I feel somewhere vulnerable.
3 beeps to enable us to move about at night.
3 beeps to let Susie run about when we left her in the van.
I feel a little guilty as the sound is noisy arming it but what the hell I think, its our property and I want it safe and I didn't think insurance paid out if it wasn't armed?
Not sure on that mind, just my thoughts.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
We have an alarm and set it when I feel somewhere vulnerable.
3 beeps to enable us to move about at night.
3 beeps to let Susie run about when we left her in the van.
I feel a little guilty as the sound is noisy arming it but what the hell I think, its our property and I want it safe and I didn't think insurance paid out if it wasn't armed?
Not sure on that mind, just my thoughts.

Why feel guilty, if some "Prat" is watching and hears your alarm setting before heading to bed or leaving the MH for the day, He/She/IT will look else where....................

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
If we are just in the van we lock it which sets the alarm. We can then disable the internal and anti tow elements. If we have family /kids with us we use the awning and as all the doors are not shut then we can't alarm the van so it's just locked. We dont wild camp so we feel quite safe on most sites.
I think if I was wild camping then I would be a little paranoid about security..
I am looking at getting a slam lock for the garage though regardless

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Question, how many of you have ever called the Police, or investigated someones alarm going off!!::bigsmile:

How many thieves are still around when an alarm goes off? The reality is that vehicle crime is being reduced year on year due to improved security.

Like all things in life it's all about choice.

Ten vans in an Aire, one alarmed with multilingual warning stickers on, special alarm stickers by the locks, bright external warning LED's flashing away and an alarm security loop protecting the trailer or bikes, nine with no visible security whatsoever. Which one would be burgled first?

Most opportunistic thefts are by people that don't want confrontation. If they didn't mind confrontation they'd simply knock on the door, stick a knife in your face and demand money. Consequently the risk of a security system sounding deters these people.

The proof? The number of reports where people that only have a car alarm fitted to a motorhome and have a single internal LED fitted inside the motorhome, obscured by the blinds, when a large screwdriver is used to take out the door lock, the door opened then when the alarm sounds the potential thief scarpers. So if the thief runs off when an alarm sounds, it stands to reason the thief wouldn't bother tempting a break in if he knew the vehicle was alarmed.

Eddie

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We have an alarm which in theory we can set while we are in the van. In practice however it is impractical to use as we have an A-class and use the drop down bed which we tend to leave down. The setting procedure requires us to switch the ignition on and off and even when on hands and knees it is almost impossible to get at.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I put a picture of the mother in law in the window seems to do the trick:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
For anyone without an alarm or the cash for a full system it may be worth a look at some of the simple battery powered shed or garage alarms. There is a huge selection and they are not that expensive. Before anyone jumps on me here I am not saying that these are in any way a replacement for a purpose made, professionally installed alarm system.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We have an alarm which in theory we can set while we are in the van. In practice however it is impractical to use as we have an A-class and use the drop down bed which we tend to leave down. The setting procedure requires us to switch the ignition on and off and even when on hands and knees it is almost impossible to get at.

This is yet another example of a car alarm being fitted in a motorhome and not being practical :cry:

You could always ask the installing dealers to put an additional switch in place to by pass the ignition activation for night time operation.

Eddie

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I put a bar across the cab to secure the front doors, and I've fitted internal webbing straps anchored on the back wall to the boot doors (we have rear bunks), and from the kitchen unit to the hab door. These straps have quick release clips on them if we needed to make an emergency exit. I hang two metal drain lifting handles on the hab door strap so they'd make a huge clatter if the strap was snapped, and then I set the door alarms.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back