Didnt set the alarm....Paid the price! (1 Viewer)

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
While at the Spanish grand prix last week we fell into the trap of feeling secure amongst fellow campers from around europe.
On the second night we retired to bed without setting the internal alarm or locking the hoesafe locks. (Resident security on site) All we did was lock the doors. We woke up to find some things had been disturbed and it soon emerged that our passenger door lock had been forced with a screwdriver or similar and entry was gained to the front of the van. Had it not been for the captain seats being turned and lots of junk in between them the thieving gits would have got completely in.
As it was we lost a few euros and it will cost us a new lock from fiat.
Let this be a lesson that complacency is an enemy. I was so angry at myself especially as I had recently had the alarm repaired and fitted the hoesafe locks myself.
One thing is for sure though.....WE WERE NOT GASSED, I HAD NOT HAD A DRINK and i am usually a light sleeper. I gues we were just so dog tired not to have heard anything. Lessons learned! :Blush:

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Oh dear , thats a shame. But at least you are ok. Not much taken.

We never set the alarm when we are in the motorhome.
Never even thought to do it .
Then again we have 2 Border terriers. They arnt barky dogs but would do so if the door opened whilst we were asleep.
Though they would more than likely lick the intruders and want a fuss odd them:Blush:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
OMG!!! The very thought that someone had gained access while you were sleeping really gets my blood up, the cheeky bleeders and if they had gained complete access, then what :Angry:

I wouldn't be held responsible for getting hold of someone I found breaking into my home, I'm just so glad it wasn't any worse and that your both ok :whatthe:

Lesson for us all for sure :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
an expensive lesson learnt but at least you admit you werent gassed, mugged, beaten to a pulp.

just plain knackered and didnt feel you had to fall back on the usual excuses.

hope the repairs arent too expensive.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
This is the type of incident that puts me and I'm sure others off touring Spain having never yet ventured abroad.:Sad:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
That's awful. I always imagine I would hear it if someone broke in but just shows you can sleep through it. Hope it hasn't shaken you too much.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
While at the Spanish grand prix last week we fell into the trap of feeling secure amongst fellow campers from around europe.
On the second night we retired to bed without setting the internal alarm or locking the hoesafe locks. (Resident security on site) All we did was lock the doors. We woke up to find some things had been disturbed and it soon emerged that our passenger door lock had been forced with a screwdriver or similar and entry was gained to the front of the van. Had it not been for the captain seats being turned and lots of junk in between them the thieving gits would have got completely in.
Let this be a lesson that complacency is an enemy. I was so angry at myself especially as I had recently had the alarm repaired and fitted the hoesafe locks myself.
One thing is for sure though.....WE WERE NOT GASSED, I HAD NOT HAD A DRINK and i am usually a light sleeper. I gues we were just so dog tired not to have heard anything. Lessons learned! :Blush:
No one gets GASSED, they only know of someone who has been!!!!

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We hardly ever arm our alarm at night just lock the doors, sorry to highjack your thread but out of curiosity would the insurance pay out if anything was stolen of value?
Sorry to hear of your incident but hope that your story will help others.

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
We hardly ever arm our alarm at night just lock the doors, sorry to highjack your thread but out of curiosity would the insurance pay out if anything was stolen of value?
Sorry to hear of your incident but hope that your story will help others.

When you think about it, even if the alarm had been set and the hoesafe locks wre on, we would still have to replace the lock because thats as far as the crooks would have got so i think (hope) the insurance would at least pay that if the alarm wasn't on.
Having said that, would you bother with the insurance if you left yourself wide open, I don't think I will.....

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
This is the type of incident that puts me and I'm sure others off touring Spain having never yet ventured abroad.:Sad:

Dont be put off. As he said he forgot locks and alarm. Cars and vans broken into in uk all the time. Twelve years we have been touring SPAIN GERMANY FRANCE PORTUGAL ETC, never had a problem. Think muggers and pickpockets take one look at my CASIO watch and lack of camera, flash phone and jewels and realise they would be wasting their time.::bigsmile:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Please don't be put off, get out there and don't worry, I would be more worried in some places here, if they are going to get in they will , where you are is nothing to do with it.:Smile:

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011

Lets not lose sight of whats happened here, I could have been anywhere in the world and not secured what is mine. I was at a venue parked in an open field and where 50,000 spectators decend on the place. You walk a lot of miles during the day and you sleep like a fossilised log at night. The thieving barstewards must know this!
I dropped the ball and paid the price. Again, it could have been anywhere.
Spain is a beautiful place, thats why I am here :thumb:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry to hear of your experience and hope you are not too shaken up! As an extra precaution we always looped the seat belts through the cab door handles so even if they forced the door lock they could not gain access.
I tend to trust mechanical solutions more than electrical ones

Norman

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........

What is the point of having an alarm system if your not going to use it. I feel sorry for Emmenay as I have falling into the same trap the odd time, [HI]but he has reminded ME/YOU/ALL MH owners on this forum and tonight every MH owner with an alarm WILL have it on. [/HI]It's like driving a car you get bad habits over a period of time and ONLY when you see/read/hear about someone having a problem because they are doing it wrong you change your habits.

As for putting you off touring in your MH think about it for a few seconds........ how many MH are there total in UK/EU and how many break-ins do you hear about??? VERY FEW.

A thief - all thief's are opportunists - your leave a window open they are in - you leave something on the dash they take it - forget to set your alarm and they are watching they break in.......

Enjoy your MH and used it life is too short.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Sorry to hear of your experience and hope you are not too shaken up! As an extra precaution we always looped the seat belts through the cab door handles so even if they forced the door lock they could not gain access.
I tend to trust mechanical solutions more than electrical ones

Norman

Now that seems an excellent idea , nothing extra, and can still drive away.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
As for putting you off touring in your MH think about it for a few seconds........ how many MH are there total in UK/EU and how many break-ins do you hear about??? VERY FEW.

Exactly!!!!! It's the same old story, you only hear the bad things , no one is interested in good news.
How many funsters have gone away on here through the years, and how many have been broke into

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Reading the OP and because it is at the Spanish GP, I am sure we would all think Spanish crooks. Having been to Jerez several times for the GP it never fails to amaze me how many different nationalities are there. Whoever did it could have been from anywhere, including the UK. So it seems to me that not going abroad for fear of being robbed is a waste of better weather (hopefully) and the only losers are the ones who miss out on seeing foreign lands.

What I am trying to say is that it could have been anybody, anywhere.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Reading the OP and because it is at the Spanish GP, [HI]I am sure we would all think Spanish crooks[/HI]. Having been to Jerez several times for the GP it never fails to amaze me how many different nationalities are there. Whoever did it could have been from anywhere, including the UK. So it seems to me that not going abroad for fear of being robbed is a waste of better weather (hopefully) and the only losers are the ones who miss out on seeing foreign lands.

[HI]What I am trying to say is that it could have been anybody, anywhere[/HI].

We live in Spain and I can assure you the Spanish people are one of the kindest in the world, (when you get to know them) remember they had many years of the "Francisco Franco" regime were if you were caught stealing you disappeared!!!

As stated could happen anywhere.

I think the OP has just reminded us, if you have an alarm USE IT - Simples.........

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Having been the victim of 3 attempted robberies and one successful robbery I now accept that Barcelona is off limits. When you park up near the Olympic Stadium you can see them hiding in the bushes waiting for your departure.

When we are abroad I make sure that my wife has nothing of value in her handbag, the car keys are secure in my pocket, the cash and credit cards are similarly secure.

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Off course a little bit......Don Quixote, just noticed the location in your profile... i'm just along the road a bit! (Haven't changed my profile yet, just got here)
Back on course :thumb:

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Prevention rather than cure

This is just the sort of venue gangs of thieves love. Always be on your guard.
Last year whilst on the aire at Carcassonne we noticed a car of 4 "dodgy looking sorts driving round the aire. We moved on before nightfall as did anothor GB motorhome.
I guess we will never know !
Gill n phil

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009

I wouldn't call this 'touring Spain'-This funster was at a high profile event where any self respecting villain would expect to find rich pickings.
I've no doubt it would be the same at any grand Prix in Europe.

Most of the bad reports about Spain emanate,it seems to me,from the poular ex-pat regions.

Mike.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Have heard somany people talk about forced locks through the cab. I got a tip of feeding the seat belts through the doors pull handles and then into the seat belt clips. so if the door lock is forced the belt stops the doors opening. Tried it with the doors unlocked and it does work!!:Smile:

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Let this be a lesson that complacency is an enemy. I was so angry at myself especially as I had recently had the alarm repaired and [HI]fitted the hoesafe locks myself.[/HI]

Please excuse my ignorance but what are these?
Jacky

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Have heard somany people talk about forced locks through the cab. I got a tip of feeding the seat belts through the doors pull handles and then into the seat belt clips. so if the door lock is forced the belt stops the doors opening. Tried it with the doors unlocked and it does work!!:Smile:

A good tip if you had door handles that you could feed the belt through.

Perhaps I'm missing the point here of having a working alarm! - if it is set and the door is forced open it goes off, why would you need extra door locks, seat belts and bars across the cab.

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Please excuse my ignorance but what are these?
Jacky

If you do a google search it will explain what they are better than I can.
What they do is take the determined thief a little longer to get in. They are good (if you remember to use them:Blush:) but not invincible.
You have to remember though, by the time they encounter these the bulk of damage is already done to the door as with most security products.
I can only repeat what has been said in another thread, one of the best deterrents is a VISIBLE flashing LED so even when the blinds are up a thief can see the vehicle is armed and potentially wont bother. :thumb:

farmboy

Free Member
May 16, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
It was nice to meet you on the Grand Prix campsite, it is a lesson I've learnt ,be careful even if you are amongst people who you think are like-minded, Hope you completed your onward trip safely ,and good luck for your future. :thumb:

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
It was nice to meet you on the Grand Prix campsite, it is a lesson I've learnt ,be careful even if you are amongst people who you think are like-minded, Hope you completed your onward trip safely ,and good luck for your future. :thumb:

Hi Farmboy, just worked out who you are..:ROFLMAO:

Yes arrived safely on Monday evening.
Did you arrive for your business on time? It did seem like a bit of a push!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back