Devon and Cornwall walking campsites? (1 Viewer)

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
We are looking to go touring next week around devon and Cornwall can anyone help please with suggestions of campsites with good walks from. We have a dog and walks of maximum 3-4 hours would be good. Nearby pub/ village would be good but not essential. We are member of c&c and c&cc and would like a site with a toilet block.
Looking forward to your suggestions, the person with the best campsite that we try, wins a flight with me in my glider!! :Eeek:See my page. I will fly with you of course you don't have to do it by yourself:winky:
It is a slingsby capstan T49. Vintage 1963

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>> Devon and Cornwall walking campsites?

That's a novel and quite attractive idea.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Soaringman

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
You are never too old to glide. I once took up a war veteran, 85 I think, could wipe the smile off his face for days:Smile:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Riverside at exmoor is well equipped and is not far from well...Exmoor! Between Barnstaple and South Molton. Down hear (lostwithiel) there is the old railway line that has just been completed which takes to from St Blazey through to Lanivet. Also lots of coastal walks nearby.

There is a little campsite (can't recall the name) in the middle of Dartmoor with enough walks to keep you amused for weeks - also, St keverne near Goonhilly Downs have plenty of good coastal walks.

I suppose you could knock around the area in stages and do the Saints Way - a trail from hundreds of years ago.

smiffy502000

Free Member
Aug 5, 2012
sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
coach built.
Exp
since 2008
devon and cornwall

hi.slapton sands club site does it for us,nice site, good walks,2 pubs in the village( short walk)..nice sea views..what more would you want?::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Willingcott CC Site nr. Woolcoombe is a good one. Nice easy track to follow all the way to Ilfracoombe - think it's a disused railway. From the camp on a bike it's possible to freewheel all the way to Ilfracoombe and a gentle incline on the way back, roughly 4 to 5 miles if I remember correctly.

Rob

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
You are never too old to glide. I once took up a war veteran, 85 I think, could wipe the smile off his face for days:Smile:

Was he scared stiff - or did you mean to write couldn't instead of could? ::bigsmile:

Rob

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Damage Barton

Mortehoe
Woolacombe, Devon EX34 7EJ, United Kingdom
01271 870 502

Map

Caravan Club St Agnes
Beacon Drive, St Agnes, Cornwall, England, TR5 0NU
TR5, United Kingdom
0187255 2543

Map

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Sites and dogs

Until last year we had used a site in Perranporth. Now we have a MH we no longer need to as we have been offered parking in a friend's field!
Perranporth offers a 3 mile dog friendly beach. Loads of dunes for the morning and evening walk. Parking in the town all day and Motorhomes made WELCOME ! behind the Co-op.

Site is Tollgate Camping 01872 572130 TR6 0AD.

I will be heading down Thursday night for my annual fix.

SURF'S UP.........................

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Hi

We would second Damage Barton. Lovely site and fantastic walks:thumb:

Dane & Hazel

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Until last year we had used a site in Perranporth. Now we have a MH we no longer need to as we have been offered parking in a friend's field!
Perranporth offers a 3 mile dog friendly beach. Loads of dunes for the morning and evening walk. Parking in the town all day and Motorhomes made WELCOME ! behind the Co-op.

Site is Tollgate Camping 01872 572130 TR6 0AD.

I will be heading down Thursday night for my annual fix.

SURF'S UP.........................

Has a glider club too!:thumb:

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
Don't think the wife would like a gliding cub nearby
We live in Devon and would be the third to recommend Damage Barton for a Devon Site, and add Carnon Down nr Truro for really good dog walking and pubs. We have just spent two weeks there with our cocker spaniel - he loved it. Excellent site with a 7 acre dog exercise field and also loads of walks towards the coast and around with good pubs for drinking and eating.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Has anyone stayed at the Haven site near Perranporth?

At £43.50 for 3 nights in September, it looks a bit too good to be true!

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Carnon Down is an excellent site but can be very expensive at peak times. If you do choose to use it you are best to go on the new part of the site as the pitches are better and the toilet blocks are superb. As well as good walks from the site the bus to Falmouth stops right outside the site. The Camel trail will ultimately take you to the north coast!!

dj motormouth

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
RV A Class
Exp
since 2011
I suggest:

Penmarlam Caravan and Camping Park
Bodinnick by Fowey
PL23 1LZ

From there you can walk the Hall Walk which is one of the finest coastal walks in the country. In addition on the return leg of the walk you walk through Fowey with its narrow main street before catching the ferry back to the site.

Michael

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Has anyone stayed at the Haven site near Perranporth?

At £43.50 for 3 nights in September, it looks a bit too good to be true!

Hello Janine, The price does look cheap so I had a try, using a random date of 19th September for 3 nights, a MH up 6.4 metres, basic pitch, the price was £27 ! I had to check twice to ensure that wasn't per night!

That has to be incredible value. I used to stay for years at Tollgate which is near the entrance to the Haven site. The site has the lot and more. In school times it is rather hectic. There are statics, tourers and chalets on site, so quite vast. Superb bus service to all the local towns (dogs allowed on buses) and their own pathway to the beach which can be walked for the town except at absolute high tide else coastal path.

Attachments

• Haven.jpg
    Haven.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
Soaringman

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
Thanks all for your help, we are booked in tomorrow for 2 nights at damage Barton, and see how it goes from there ::bigsmile:

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
The Camping and Caravan Club holiday sites in Cornwall are very good for walking the coastal paths they usually have somewhere to empty loo and filll up with water, also inexpensive why pay for facilities when you have them in the van? We did 3 last year and will be doing some more this year. Also the motorcaravanners club has CL sites in the area.:thumb::Blush:

OP
OP
Soaringman

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
Well you win scotjimland !!

We stayed at Damage Barton for 2 nights and it was a great site and location. If you would like to collect your prize you will have to come to Oxford gliding club when I and there. PM me to arrange it.

Regards
Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back