LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I still looking for 3 mobile coms units for a convoy to france later this year and came across this on ebay (item number)

what do our comms experts think? any good?, legal?, value for money

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I still looking for 3 mobile coms units for a convoy to france later this year and came across this on ebay (item number)

what do our comms experts think? any good?, legal?, value for money

Hi scout if you want I will lend you 3 Motorola gp340 with 12 volt chargers
Legal in uk but not France on uk general frequencies
Spot on units and very reliable when are you going and for how long
We used them all over Europe and if your carefully should be ok

Or look for pmr446 but watch what your doing some are crap
Kenwoods and Motorola are good ones

Cb is a option but with ally tin can vans ariels are a pain to sort out

I think we should apply as a club for a uk general frequency licence and select a couple of channels with pl and just let members buy and program their own units I have had a word with our comms supplier and if worded correctly perfectly legal in uk as long as all using license are members he has done same for many clubs

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I dont know if those are legal or not, but they look very much like my HF boat radio. Maplin have a set of 4 Cobra MT975 PMR radios on offer this week at £99.99p for the set.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
These are a 2M/70cm dual band radio. It is illegal to transmit on them in the UK unless you have at least a foundation ham licence. You cannot use abroad unless you have a full licence that is recognised in that country. Your best bet is CB, most of which now cover the different requirements for most of Europe or a PMR radio which you can use anywhere but only on the built in aerial which will have limited range inside a vehicle.

Perhaps I should have also mentioned that it helps if you know what you are doing with this particular radio as it has the worst manual in the world.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
As has been posted unless you are a Radio Amateur full Licence holder these radios are out of the question yes if you have Foundation Call Sign..(M6***) you can use them in the UK BUT NOT IN FRANCE..as you need to be full licence holder to stay within the CEPT regs..

I would suggest Maplins they have an online site and do a half decent 4 radio package for £99 quid..Don't be fooled by the hype with any PMR Radio..they may be good for a couple of miles tops..but not some of the distances quoted...

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Be carefully in what people call PMR some of them are all over place with frequencies used so could be illegal my mate bought 2 of eBay and found they where in 2 meter band
You want PMR446

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Not an expert, AFAIK they are legal to own ..

but I think you would require a Ham licence to operate legally.

Jaws is the man to advise..

no ham, so no go, I'll probilbly go down the pmr route

thanks

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Hi scout if you want I will lend you 3 Motorola gp340 with 12 volt chargers
Legal in uk but not France on uk general frequencies
Spot on units and very reliable when are you going and for how long
We used them all over Europe and if your carefully should be ok

Or look for pmr446 but watch what your doing some are crap
Kenwoods and Motorola are good ones

Cb is a option but with ally tin can vans ariels are a pain to sort out

I think we should apply as a club for a uk general frequency licence and select a couple of channels with pl and just let members buy and program their own units I have had a word with our comms supplier and if worded correctly perfectly legal in uk as long as all using license are members he has done same for many clubs

thanks for the offer but I need 3 units,I use gp 340/360's at work shame I cant borrow them. I dont want to go down the CB route as its prob going to be a one of trip

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
As has been posted unless you are a Radio Amateur full Licence holder these radios are out of the question yes if you have Foundation Call Sign..(M6***) you can use them in the UK BUT NOT IN FRANCE..as you need to be full licence holder to stay within the CEPT regs..

I would suggest Maplins they have an online site and do a half decent 4 radio package for £99 quid..Don't be fooled by the hype with any PMR Radio..they may be good for a couple of miles tops..but not some of the distances quoted...

that range I presume is open country with line of sight? I was told today you can get window aerials for some pmr's to incress the reception when in cab to cab situations

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
thanks for the offer but I need 3 units,I use gp 340/360's at work shame I cant borrow them. I dont want to go down the CB route as its prob going to be a one of trip
At the last count we had 180 gp340 so 3 or 4 for a few weeks is no problem

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Cheapest PMR446 i can get you are the Intek t30 at £45 a pair with batteries, twin docking charger etc. They would do the job, also have a torch built in you may find useful. Basic level, but best for the price. 8 channels, power saver and 2 stage adjustable transmitter power levels. Next level up goes to £90 a pair.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you can get really cheap walkie talkies in asda or somewhere like that lidl .aldi sometimes . we use them when in convoy . seem to work even over a few miles apart .
i have rechargable ones from aldi i think it was. binatone do them as well think asda have them.

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
We have used the pmr446 set on many a ski trip. Also used them as we have travelled in convoy around the UK. They worked fine and have even worked on a different side of the mountain.

For the money they will do the job for you.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
At the last count we had 180 gp340 so 3 or 4 for a few weeks is no problem

ok thanks i bare it in mind, we only have two so it would notice if I took them.

a bit of info for you I bought replacements battiers from germany a few months back about £12.50 each iirc, they seem to work fine

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Cheapest PMR446 i can get you are the Intek t30 at £45 a pair with batteries, twin docking charger etc. They would do the job, also have a torch built in you may find useful. Basic level, but best for the price. 8 channels, power saver and 2 stage adjustable transmitter power levels. Next level up goes to £90 a pair.

I was looking at the intek mt5050 best price I could see in the UK was £65 each, are the t30's modable??

Last edited:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I was looking at the intek mt5050 best price I could see in the UK was £65 each, are the t30's modable??

T30's are basic walkie talkies - they have variable hi/lo power output but other than that, are just basic entry systems. It would appear that the middle ground between the 5050 and the t30 will be the 3030. It has many of the functions of the 5050, but not all. Price would be half of that of the 5050, which is really a base 'professional' system.

We are Thunderpole dealers, if you have a look at their website, you can have a browse of what is available. I can sort you out with a funster discount, so will have a bit off the retail prices if that helps you out.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
We have used the pmr446 set on many a ski trip. Also used them as we have travelled in convoy around the UK. They worked fine and have even worked on a different side of the mountain.

For the money they will do the job for you.

These are great we carry 2 with us all the time using them for all sorts of things around the site or travelling with another MH. Currently using them as I'm 100 metres from the in-Laws so Dawn can tell me when tea is ready, whilst I working on MH.

No licence required at all.

G8WVW

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 on/off
Cheap walkie-talkie means cheap performance, cheap batteries, cheap build and probably short life. The Asda product is likely a toy. If however all you need is close proximity vehicle-vehicle comms on a trip then they’re probably enough.

If you’re expecting ‘em to work from the pub four miles away back to camp, not even the very best £100+ PMR466 radio will do this for you! Half a mile is about the best you can reliably expect. The 3-6 miles quoted is over terrain where if you shone a very bright light at the transmit point, you’d see it at the receiver!

I‘ve three middle of the road Motorola T5522’s bought five+ years ago which the kids have used/abused. All have new rechargeable battery packs and will go for another five years; you get what you pay for.

Forget the CB/Ham Radio route; all too much fuss for your needs. PMR466 legal right across Europe so no hassle there either.

Good luck :)

PS Beware of 'PMR446' type radios on eBay from the States. They look identical to EU models but use a different set of frequencies that are not legal here. Give away is that they have 13 channels rather then 8.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back