Parking etiquette (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Some time ago there was a thread on here about the "correct" way to park on a site, ie, awnings same side, hab doors, spacing etc. so I thought that I would share this with you.

A few weeks ago we stayed on a very nice site in Bala, North Wales (www.penybont-bala.co.uk) and after being given our allocated pitch we drove round the horseshoe shaped site road to it. If you can imagine a horseshoe with the rounded bit at the bottom, that's where we were, on the inside of the curve. Directly across the road from us was a caravan, on the outside of the curve, facing in. So if we had reversed onto the pitch we would have been looking directly into the caravan and would have had no view. So under instructions from the Boss, I drove in, and we had a nice view of the hills etc. All of the other units were sited facing in over, so missing out on views and staring into each others homes. There was plenty of space between pitches, so no one stepped out onto someone else.

The next morning we went for a walk into Bala for a couple of hours and when we returned everyone of the motorhomes was turned round and even one of the tuggers had turned their van round, so everyone had a view of the lake or the hills. The exception being the tugger who was parked opposite us. He had a view of the rear of our MH and backed onto trees. Looked like a seasonal pitch anyway so they didn't seem bothered.

The moral ?

Don't be like sheep and follow the flock if it doesn't upset anyone else. :thumb:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Yes, it makes sense to park for the best view and practical considerations rather than convention. Obviously other people's privacy is also a consideration.

I have to say I was surprised when I first heard of sites insisting that your door should face this way or that way, after all, if you face your door away from others you still have windows facing them. If you want total privacy then maybe wildcamping is the route to take.

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I'm all for parking for the best view!

The rules need to be observed on small sites though..

I stopped at the very 'bijou' Caravan Club site at Caernarvon, North Wales a few years ago and parked in accordance with the (I thought) strict CC rules.

Went for a walk, came back and found a caravan had pitched next to me, large awning erected and 4x4 parked next to it. I couldn't open my habitation door!

When I spoke to the warden, he said it would be easier if I just turned my van round. That meant my view was of the offending caravan instead of rolling fields for the rest of the week.

:Sad::Sad:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I like to position either to benefit from the sun morning or evening,or the view,unless you are on a club site and park their way! This is the reason I prefer CL/CSc to club sites.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

I stopped at the very 'bijou' Caravan Club site at Caernarvon, North Wales a few years ago and parked in accordance with the (I thought) strict CC rules.

Went for a walk, came back and found a caravan had pitched next to me, large awning erected and 4x4 parked next to it. I couldn't open my habitation door!

When I spoke to the warden, he said it would be easier if I just turned my van round. That meant my view was of the offending caravan instead of rolling fields for the rest of the week.

I would have moved to another site.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Went for a walk, came back and found a caravan had pitched next to me, large awning erected and 4x4 parked next to it. [HI]I couldn't open my habitation door[/HI]!

Was your neighbour's unit encroaching on your pitch ? If so, the warden should have had him resite. . .. If not why did you not move to the center of your pitch.. ?

there are plenty of complaints on the Club forum about humongous RVs blocking peoples sunlight and view .. but that's life.. We have to live and let live..

Last edited:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We often have the van moved at this and that angle until I feel we are getting the best views on the site, Ed has been heard to complain that we use as much diesel siteing it as getting there :Doh:::bigsmile:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
We often have the van moved at this and that angle until I feel we are getting the best views on the site, [HI]Ed has been heard to complain that we use as much diesel siteing it as getting there[/HI] :Doh:::bigsmile:

Carol, my dearest, please go and pat Ed on the shoulder and tell him he has sympathetic mates on here.........Griff :Doh:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
One of the downsides of the more tightly-packed aires is having to take it in turns with your neighbour to open your hab doors. Entente cordiale and all that.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Well we have never come across this :Smile: We must be either sheep and follow the rest -- or as I normally take one look at the pitch and decide which way round I want to be ie nose in or out I don't give a stuff ::bigsmile: I can lower my rear air suspension by around 8 ins so if on a slope that decides which way in -comes in vey handy on hills -reverse up and lower giving us as near to level that I can be bothered with ::bigsmile:
terry

Deleted User
Rules are for Tools

Your profile says that you are a HGV driver, I assume you know and follow the rules regarding HGV driving !!! As a motorcyclist you would be more vulnerable than most to other road users with the attitude that " Rules are for Tools "

I am assuming your comment was tongue in cheek :Smile:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Just like in here then !!

Baah
alternative_welsh_flag_t_shirt-rb23a556b4e3945d0beba15bbe7e589a0_804gs_152.jpg

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
As we checked into a site tonight, there was a woman in the warden's office having a rant about someone's large motorhome overhanging the pitch.
She suggested to the warden that perhaps large motorhomes should pay more than someone with a caravan:Sad:
Surely someone with a caravan, plus car and an awning is taking up more space and should be paying more than say someone with a motorhome and no awning?:RollEyes:
As we came in towards the end of the conversation we didn't get involved, but the warden was glad to see the back of her:roflmto:

GlobeStar

Free Member
Jul 23, 2012
Woodhall Spa
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2004
Parked other way round today to all the other vans so we can overlook the glorious Mosel river as our door is on the uk side to all the european vans. The sun is shining the wine and lager cold!
Parked on a wonderful steplatz on the outskirts of Traben.
Bliss.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back