Free Member
May 2, 2013
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
From June 2013
In addition to my last post regrading 'essentials' I realised I had ommitted to ask about wi-fi options. This will be quite important to us as we travel.

I found a wi-fi device that can be fitted to the roof/side of the 'van that detects wi-fi signals in the locality but these may not be secure if accessible. I have a feeling we could buy a Dongle to access the internet but not sure of how this works and/or costs.

I am aware that we can nip into Mc D's, or similar places, for a coffee and access their free wi-fi but this may not always be an option and so I'd prefer to be self-sufficient if possible.

We would appreciate your suggestions based on your experiences.

Many thanks and regards
euphony290

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
You could take a peek at http://www.motorhomewifi.com/

It's run by Addie and Sophie, who are Funsters and have used the stuff they sell all around Europe (so they tell us!)

Simon
:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
Er..... having read that back... just to clarify... they are not selling second hand stuff that they have used, but new stuff that they recommend having used examples.. oh, you know what I mean!!! :Doh:

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
In addition to my last post regrading 'essentials' I realised I had ommitted to ask about wi-fi options. This will be quite important to us as we travel.

I found a wi-fi device that can be fitted to the roof/side of the 'van that detects wi-fi signals in the locality but these may not be secure if accessible. I have a feeling we could buy a Dongle to access the internet but not sure of how this works and/or costs.

I am aware that we can nip into Mc D's, or similar places, for a coffee and access their free wi-fi but this may not always be an option and so I'd prefer to be self-sufficient if possible.

Many thanks and regards
euphony290

Hi Euphony
Get a SFR dongle and sim from the sfr shop and ask them to set it up for you.
..unless you are a computer wifi techi....if so just get a SFR sim..pay as u go..and keep topping it up....
If you get the dongle as well as the sim this will set your computer up....:thumb:

Now the mifi....unlocked of course, now this item is a mini mobile modem which will supply up to 5 devices off one sim.eg lappy...phone 1 or two..iPad/android pad and phones via wifi.(this will be the sim card you purchased from the SFR shop, or taken out of your new SFR dongle and inserted into your mifi)..a mifi is normally running at a faster mbs...around 21mbs..( i think the sfr dongle runs about 7mbs).this mifi you can place in most places in your motorhome for the best signal and all your other devices will wifi from this mini modem ...
Orange is not that good and cost's more in the long run) I know I have used it for several years over here in France:Doh:
I hope that has been of some help to you.
YES I run SFR:thumb:.....I did run Orange but not anymore:Doh:

Your unlocked mifi...you can use this in any country...UK, France, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Germany ....you will just need to get a PAY as YOU Go sim for the ncountry you are in......and YOU WILL NEED TO KEEP CHANGING YOUR APN ADDRESS ON YOUR MIFI...

Broken Link Removed

Link Removed

http://ftp1.digi.com/support/documentation/europeanprovider.pdf
Mel

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
Hi Euphony
Get a SFR dongle and sim from the sfr shop and ask them to set it up for you.
..unless you are a computer wifi techi....if so just get a SFR sim..pay as u go..and keep topping it up....
If you get the dongle as well as the sim this will set your computer up....:thumb:

Now the mifi....unlocked of course, now this item is a mini mobile modem which will supply up to 5 devices off one sim.eg lappy...phone 1 or two..iPad/android pad and phones via wifi.(this will be the sim card you purchased from the SFR shop, or taken out of your new SFR dongle and inserted into your mifi)..a mifi is normally running at a faster mbs...around 21mbs..( i think the sfr dongle runs about 7mbs).this mifi you can place in most places in your motorhome for the best signal and all your other devices will wifi from this mini modem ...
Orange is not that good and cost's more in the long run) I know I have used it for several years over here in France:Doh:
I hope that has been of some help to you.
YES I run SFR:thumb:.....I did run Orange but not anymore:Doh:

Your unlocked mifi...you can use this in any country...UK, France, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Germany ....you will just need to get a PAY as YOU Go sim for the ncountry you are in......and YOU WILL NEED TO KEEP CHANGING YOUR APN ADDRESS ON YOUR MIFI...
Mel

Hello
Has the mifi unit got security password to prevent unwanted devise to piggyback on to use up data while it is running please.
Regards

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hello
Has the mifi unit got security password to prevent unwanted devise to piggyback on to use up data while it is running please.
Regards

Hi YES you enter your own password......and change when and if needed

Last edited:
Upvote 0

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
What a particularly useful post from Heyupluv. Is this a viable option for holidays or only longer term? Thinking about contract lengths etc.

Steve

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
What a particularly useful post from Heyupluv. Is this a viable option for holidays or only longer term? Thinking about contract lengths etc.

Steve

Just a follow on Steve.....when I called in the SFR shop...I asked if a person from the uk could purchase a SFR sim......YES... pay as you go....not sure about a contract sim( I think he said NO unless you are a resident)...but that was about 6 months ago and things do change:Doh:...for a pay as you go sim ....all he did was to take a few details and to copy your Passport....you can top up on line or call in any SFR shop...

Also it depends what usage you require....and how many times you will need the internet...as a lot of the UK contracts do cover in europe at around £2.00 per day...you can pay that in France on camp sites that don't include free wifi

Mel

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob

Many thanks and regards
euphony290

The question is about connectivity - rather than specifically wifi - as no doubt you will need two solutions to this problem, depending on your demands for internet access.

1 solution - i note has been posted with regards to getting a mifi device unlocked, so you can buy UK and A.n.Other sims in country of destination. Buying local sims is the cheapest option as roaming gets expensive.

The mifi unti creats your local hotspot eg. inside the van.

2nd solution is actually about using on site and freely available wifi options such as coffee shops and other fast food outlets.

I have posted the 2 router option on another thread, but in summary;

Some sort of booster aerial - with SMA or compatible fitting
1 router - this will have the booster aerial hooked to it to connect to your "external" wifi source.
Connect this to a second router via RJ45 link, the second router can now be configured to provide "internal" wifi to which all your devices can connect.

YOu can buy the MWWF solution (£160?) or the above can be done for maybe £60-70 - even cheaper if you can blag a couple of routers to start with! The tricky bit is to get a router with a screw off aerial to allow you to connect the booster aerial to it.

The routers need to be configured with the 2nd with DHCP OFF...different IPs - job done - mail me if you need more help with it.

Given how often this comes up should i write a detailed piece about it and post it up for future reference?

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
The question is about connectivity - rather than specifically wifi - as no doubt you will need two solutions to this problem, depending on your demands for internet access.

1 solution - i note has been posted with regards to getting a mifi device unlocked, so you can buy UK and A.n.Other sims in country of destination. Buying local sims is the cheapest option as roaming gets expensive.

The mifi unti creats your local hotspot eg. inside the van.

2nd solution is actually about using on site and freely available wifi options such as coffee shops and other fast food outlets.

I have posted the 2 router option on another thread, but in summary;

Some sort of booster aerial - with SMA or compatible fitting
1 router - this will have the booster aerial hooked to it to connect to your "external" wifi source.
Connect this to a second router via RJ45 link, the second router can now be configured to provide "internal" wifi to which all your devices can connect.

YOu can buy the MWWF solution (£160?) or the above can be done for maybe £60-70 - even cheaper if you can blag a couple of routers to start with! The tricky bit is to get a router with a screw off aerial to allow you to connect the booster aerial to it.

The routers need to be configured with the 2nd with DHCP OFF...different IPs - job done - mail me if you need more help with it.

Given how often this comes up should i write a detailed piece about it and post it up for future reference?

I await your detailed piece, with full instructions and photo's...prices, where to buy the equiptment :thumb:

Mel

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
In my experience dongles are often of limited use to me as I like to overnight in quiet places which often do not have a phone signal rendering the dongle useless.

However I have dongle, smart phone and a laptop and prefer to use wifi whenever possible due to the expensive overseas data costs.

When I bought a French PAYG SIM card, a couple of years ago, I found that the credit had very short time limits (one month with low top-ups) and that I could not credit the SIM from a UK credit card. The SIM also stopped working if not topped up for 6 months.

Have things improved?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

euphony290

Free Member
May 2, 2013
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
From June 2013
Thank you one-and-all for your responses and the excellent info. I have to admit, much of it sounds very technical :Doh:to me and maybe I should stick with periodic trips to Mc D's or other free wi-fi establishments.

I will keep tabs on replies to this thread and hope to become more techie-minded.

Thanks again and regards
euphony290 :thumb:

Upvote 0

ValinFrance

Free Member
Nov 1, 2011
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We use a Leclerc PAYG sim card (now called Reglo Mobile) as the credit lasts 12 months... 1.50€ per month, for unlocked mobile phones. It has good coverage too, we've found!

Upvote 0

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp

Steve
If your serious about Roaming internet the best way is to buy or rent a 'europe' sim card, can be expensive, (normally over a 30 day period) but with the unlocked MiFi plus the sim card you'll be able to go on-line virtually anywhere

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i use one of these.its a bit hit n miss Link Removed
good in some places not so good in others