Over 65s should be made to re-take driving test - say 60% of Brits (1 Viewer)

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Some 65% of Brits believe older drivers should be subject to medical checks, such as regular sight and coordination tests, while 30% think Government should reduce the number of points older drivers are allowed before their licence is revoked

As long ago as 2010 research from insurer RIAS found that 24% of people thought that drivers ought to be forced to stop driving at the age of 75.

Over a quarter (26%) of Brits surveyed admit to feeling unsafe when getting in the car with a driver over the age of 65.

This is inspite of the fact that Official statistics show people over the age of 70 are statistically far safer than those under the age of 30: they make up 9% of drivers but only 6% of driver casualties, while drivers under 30 make up 20% of drivers but 35% of casualties.

Are we all doomed :winky:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I bet most of them that they asked are young yuppy`s...:Doh:

I wonder if they will have the same opinion when they reach 65 or 75... :RollEyes::Angry:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if you want to keep hgv you do have to do it every year at 65.
already every 5 yrs after 45 .
i say if they arent driving a mini artic take their licenses off them ha ha

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
This user does not have permission to use the HTML BB code.

Jim

Please revoke this person's membership.
:thumbdown::thumbdown:

Last edited:
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Some 65% of Brits believe older drivers should be subject to medical checks, such as regular sight and coordination tests, while 30% think Government should reduce the number of points older drivers are allowed before their licence is revoked

As long ago as 2010 research from insurer RIAS found that 24% of people thought that drivers ought to be forced to stop driving at the age of 75.

Over a quarter (26%) of Brits surveyed admit to feeling unsafe when getting in the car with a driver over the age of 65.

This is inspite of the fact that Official statistics show people over the age of 70 are statistically far safer than those under the age of 30: they make up 9% of drivers but only 6% of driver casualties, while drivers under 30 make up 20% of drivers but 35% of casualties.

Yep we are all well doomed
Until I reached the ripe old age of 55 I had up to 10 points on my driving licence-reduced to 0points by age 60 and not many years no claim bonus either -in fact zero!
Since reaching now 67 I have no points and 7 years no claim bonus-perhaps its fair or perhaps naive to admit that at 60 I handed in the company vehicle and got my own
I drive a bus now volunteering for a charity Care Home and sailed through their driving test(maybe I should have driven the thing!):Blush::Blush:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
. is the only source (as opposed to subsequent reporting) I can find.

No mention of methodology used but for another of their surveys "respondents were recruited via the Auto Trader consumer panel, eDigital Research panel, and social media".

Well, that's representative then isn't it? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Having had my spine broken by a drunken 82 year old just coming home from the British Legion after a lunchtime session with his pals, my opinion is somewhat coloured. :Eeek:

That does not avoid the obvious problems I have seen with numerous older drivers. for instance, a family member lives on an old persons estate and carried on driving till they had their licence taken away for dangerous driving. looking around the carpark on the estate virtually every car was battle scarred. how many times do you see and hear older drivers revving the nuts out of cars to manouver them? and I dont recall a case of a younger driver losing control of an automatic car and ending in a swimming pool or through gardens, but see it often in the news

dont forget that the members here are mostly confident drivers that can still handle a large vehicle. they are however only a small proportion of the elderly drivers on the road so not representative as a general rule of the whole group

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I had a elderly lady customer drive me back to her house this morning so as i could repair her damaged car (5th time), all the side smashed in--again.

Indicating L to turn R, head on in a single road to other cars ,they had to drive up banks to avoid her.
She could not reach the pedals(did not know seat was adjustable)
Drove over a red light and did not know.
Done a 5 point turn where you could do x1 with a MH.

She knows not to claim on insurance though.:Eeek:
I got out of her car with aching fingers from gripping the seat, performed the cross on my chest as i am here to live :Eeek:
Hope i don`t meet her on the road----

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
keeps you in work though :ROFLMAO:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
There seems to be an anti-old person movement going within this country and not just in motoring. I have the answer though!!!
Stop the bu**ers at source, while they are still young! :ROFLMAO:

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
I think when a person reaches 70 they should undertake a test on a simulator,which would test their eyesight reflexes etc.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I think there should be a retest every 10 years for everybody. Judging by the p%^s poor driving I see on the roads I don't know how half the drivers got through the test the first time:Doh:.

I would lower this to every 5 years after the age of 60. Then every year after 70.

I also think the additional tests should place more emphasis on basics such as indicating and mirrors most drivers seem to have totally forgotten what these are for:Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry:...

The annual tests after 70, should just be a quick drive about to assess if the driver is still safe not a full blown test.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
if you want to keep hgv you do have to do it every year at 65.
already every 5 yrs after 45 .
i say if they arent driving a mini artic take their licenses off them ha ha

I thought that was only a medical, not a retest. Busby.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the thread title is miss leading,it goes on about eye tests etc . hgv drivers do have to have medicals.

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
I have just spent a week in Bristol. Those that are knocking the oldies, need to go and watch the students, especially when trying to park!!! I am convinced that most found their licence in a box of cornflakes.

the reality is that general driving standards are fairly poor, with far to many drivers being, selfish, agressive, and inconsiderate.

Dont get me started on the ones that come down the slip road and straight into the middle lane:shout:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I think when a person reaches 70 they should undertake a test [HI]on a simulator[/HI],which would test their eyesight reflexes etc.

[HI]Disgusting [/HI] :RollEyes::Eeek:

Thought that was stimulator !!

Last edited:
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Having had my spine broken by a drunken 82 year old just coming home from the British Legion after a lunchtime session with his pals, my opinion is somewhat coloured. :Eeek:

That does not avoid the obvious problems I have seen with numerous older drivers. for instance, a family member lives on an old persons estate and carried on driving till they had their licence taken away for dangerous driving. looking around the carpark on the estate virtually every car was battle scarred. how many times do you see and hear older drivers revving the nuts out of cars to manouver them? and I dont recall a case of a younger driver losing control of an automatic car and ending in a swimming pool or through gardens, but see it often in the news

dont forget that the members here are mostly confident drivers that can still handle a large vehicle. they are however only a small proportion of the elderly drivers on the road so not representative as a general rule of the whole group

Hi I totally agree that the grave dodgers like me should have a regular thorough medical assessment -it will keep them and the general public much safer and likely deal with medical problems us old fools would avoid

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
I think there should be a retest every 10 years for everybody. Judging by the p%^s poor driving I see on the roads I don't know how half the drivers got through the test the first time:Doh:.

I would lower this to every 5 years after the age of 60. Then every year after 70.

I also think the additional tests should place more emphasis on basics such as indicating and mirrors most drivers seem to have totally forgotten what these are for:Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry:...

The annual tests after 70, should just be a quick drive about to assess if the driver is still safe not a full blown test.

I agree with Gromett– and I’m 67. So not long to go.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish

This is inspite of the fact that [HI]Official statistics show people over the age of 70 are statistically far safer than those under the age of 30: they make up 9% of drivers but only 6% of driver casualties, while drivers under 30 make up 20% of drivers but 35% of casualties.[/HI]

If that's the case we should up the minimum age for taking the driving test to 30?:thumb:

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Over 70s

I really Hav'nt much going for me according to these surveys.

I'm over 70 and still driving.

I spend my heating allowance in Spain every winter[driving there]

I'm also one of the greedy private Landlords

Alan:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
There seems to be an anti-old person movement going within this country and not just in motoring. I have the answer though!!!
Stop the bu**ers at source, while they are still young! :ROFLMAO:

seeing the potential danger ahead, I had the snip 40 years ago :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
If a simulator is anything like a vibrator....bring it on!!!!

At 72 I need anything I can get my hands on :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You want to be carefully with them things it can cause HAVS
Hand arm vibration syndrome
Don't forget where there blame there a claim

smiffy502000

Free Member
Aug 5, 2012
sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
coach built.
Exp
since 2008
over 65

think i'd be more afraid getting in a car with an under 25,texting on there mobile phone at 70mph pluss...on a motorway,which i see most days of the week.they seem to think the law don't apply to them:Angry:

petrol tin glyn

Free Member
Jun 29, 2012
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
autotrail cheiftain
Exp
since 2006
:Eeek:don't apply to me i forget where i parked the dam thing:Doh::Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.