Banned
Apr 25, 2012
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
i year
hi guys and dolls thinking of getting a sat system for motorhome I would like the dome set up any in fo pls cos I have no clue cheers peeps:Smile:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Like you I would have prefered a dome but if you intend using it outside of Britain do make sure it can cope the further south you intend going.

slimbob

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
northants
Funster No
MH
not yet
Exp
long time
hi we have not long ago we had a KVH 4 fitted it all works fine at home and in most places we have been too since we had it fitted .
but we have had a week in scotland.
and at j o g we had no signal and had no signal untill we got down past ullapool .
we did think it should of worked better then this .
and also we got the dome so we could use the sat system in the wind.
but it dont work that way as when its windy the motorhome moves so again you loose the signal .
this is what has happend to us .i still like the system and look forward to useing it in france.

Last edited:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
We have had Road Pro dome fitted for a while now.

It worked fine all over Easter and we were up in Thurso, then went west to Durness then down to Ullapool. No problems.:thumb:
We have not had any problems even when its windy, and our young boys can actually make the van rock more than the wind does.

Last year we got about halfway down through France and we still had a strong signal on all Sky Channels.

This summer we will get down to Northern Italy, South of France then into Spain heading down past Barca then perhaps Benidorm.

It will be interesting to see how far it works on 28E before we have to change over to 19E.

BROKEN LINK

:Smile:

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Well we have had Garmin's, Tom Tom, Navi, and now we have a Snooper 8500 and were in France Touring and from our experience the Snooper is NO better than the rest of them..... they all get confused with Multi turn roundabouts and the killer is the Snooper is the most expensive of all the Sat Navs the problem in France there changing the T junctions to Round-abouts and the electronic mapping has not caught up with the Sat Navs :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Well we have had Garmin's, Tom Tom, Navi, and now we have a Snooper 8500 and were in France Touring and from our experience the Snooper is NO better than the rest of them..... they all get confused with Multi turn roundabouts and the killer is the Snooper is the most expensive of all the Sat Navs the problem in France there changing the T junctions to Round-abouts and [HI]the electronic mapping has not caught up with the Sat Navs[/HI] :Cool:

but how good was the TV picture?..............:RollEyes::RollEyes:

:winky:::bigsmile::winky:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
hi we have not long ago we had a KVH 4 fitted it all works fine at home and in most places we have been too since we had it fitted .
but we have had a week in scotland.
and at j o g we had no signal and had no signal untill we got down past ullapool .
we did think it should of worked better then this .
and also we got the dome so we could use the sat system in the wind.
but it dont work that way as when its windy the motorhome moves so again you loose the signal .
this is what has happend to us .i still like the system and look forward to useing it in france.

Neither of those things should happen. What have you got fitted? who fitted it? and how long ago?

Regards

Eddie

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Neither of those things should happen. What have you got fitted? who fitted it? and how long ago?

Regards

Eddie

Ours has worked everywhere so far except when we are parked under trees.:thumb:

slimbob

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
northants
Funster No
MH
not yet
Exp
long time
i had it fitted about 8 weeks ago by a m/home dealer .
i dont want to say who as i like the dealer and would not want to give him any bad feedback

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
i dont want to say who as i like the dealer and would not want to give him any bad feedback

Are you not happy with it?

We have been chuffed with our system.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989

Fair do's You'll need to speak to them as the unit will definitely work in Scotland and movement of the van by wind should have no real effect to be honest.

Ultimately if the van was rocking from wheel to wheel that could be a probem, but then so would standing up so watching telly wouldn't probably be high on the list of concerns.

If your going to the Newbury show pop along to the Van Bitz stand and ask for me and I give you a few pointers to check

Cheers

Eddie

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
We have the KVH 4 Sat dome fitted by vanbitz.

As Eddie has already stated, no problems whatsoever in using dome in windy weather or as far south as Royan in France (furthest south we have been to date). We have used dome in severe gales without problems (the van was rocking and rolling and honestly we were watching normal films ::bigsmile:).

The big advantage to date is that you can 'wildcamp' without the need to advertise the fact, not the case with a traditional dish!!

Only negative is that my dome is restricted to 3 sats, namely 28.0E, 19.2E and 13.0E. Fine for 99% of time, but if you know how to use 'keys', it can be a negative as you cannot access others satellites.

As for 'camping under trees', you will have same problem with a dish as you will have with a dome.

slimbob

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
northants
Funster No
MH
not yet
Exp
long time
hi i have now been told by KVH that there is a problem with mine and it sould be sorted on saturday at the newbury show

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Satellite

Hi

I am in a fairly "unique" position in that I have had three satellite systems.

1) Osyter 85cm - OK in UK and pretty good overseas. ITV at Lake Garda but some pixelating.

2) Camos 40 cm - OK in UK, worked in Italy but not for the Astra2D stuff - ie BBC/ITV etc but SKY OK. We sold it as the overseas coverage was not good enough for our requirements.

3) Kathrein CAP 900- great - Corrie in southern Italy! At Lake Garda, no pixelating. (Exact same pitch as previous test with the Oyster!)

The dome is much more resliant to bad weather though, so in windy conditions, you keep watching where are conventional dishes are lowered.

Later this year, most channels are "moving" on the satellite thing, and so the "footprint" will be different. C5 has already moved and so that is a good indicator of what you might or might not get overseas.

Russell

slimbob

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
northants
Funster No
MH
not yet
Exp
long time
hi just let you all know that my dome system has been sorted it was a faulty LNB thing.
so i would like to thank eddie from van bitz
simon from KVH
and most of all nigel from aerotrac who at the show got on top of my m/h and fixed this LNB .
and just my luck i got called into work saturday and had to go home
so a big thanks to you all

Aerotrac

Free Member
May 21, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Borrow one from a friend
Exp
borrowing for years :)
Hi Bob
Really pleased your now happy with the system and I was able to sort this problem out for you.

Any further issues please get in touch

Kind regards

Nigel

Aerotrac Ltd

www.aerotrac.co.uk

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries