Brownhills went into Administration yesterday (1 Viewer)

M

motorholmes

Deleted User
Auditors in doing their stuff, staff got told last night.

Fact not fiction, possible MBO

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sorry motorholmes, but i have no sympathy with anyone who deals with these cowboys.:Doh:

there are many negative posts on this forum about brownhills service and customer care and very, very few positive ones.

i, personally , have only been to the newark branch once and the salesman couldnt give a toss if he made a sale or not. his attitude was 'you should know what you want before you arrive then i can get back to chatting to my salesman mates'. needless to say, he never made a sale from us.

another point, brownhills have 'closed' so many times it became a standing joke a long time ago.:Eeek:

john.

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
I just feel sorry for the (must be few by now) suppliers in Newark who have traded with Brownhills and (yet again) not been paid. When we wanted carpets custom made for our previous camper we shopped around in Newark and when we mentioned campers the universal response was "you're not Brownhills are you?". Says a lot don't you think? I have no sympathy, their customer service was pathetic and their 'technicians' caused more problems than they solved.
Jan

adventure

Free Member
Oct 16, 2007
somerset
Funster No
Exp
25 years
I think you'll find I already said that earlier "all change again" ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

in fact as I was typing it for the second time, not sure what went wrong the first time you were posting it on facts: Blush:

you must be a brownhills employee so what is happening, I am sure (speculation) swift will have some hand in it somewhere

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
ps

When we came back up the A1 from Peterborough on Wednesday there were many campers heading South bearing trade plates - ????

Jan (nasty suspicious old bag)

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
ps

When we came back up the A1 from Peterborough on Wednesday there were many campers heading South bearing trade plates - ????

Jan (nasty suspicious old bag)

Going to Peterborough show maybe :Doh:

Adria 5

Free Member
Jul 23, 2007
Funster No
MH
adria caravan
Exp
hi :Eeek:is there a brownhills stand at peterboro ? what do they say?

ray

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi :Eeek:is there a brownhills stand at peterboro ? what do they say?

ray

didnt think you'd have anything to put in your tanker, ray. :ROFLMAO:

buccaneer

Free Member
Oct 14, 2007
Funster No
I went to brownhills Preston today still trading and while I was there heard a chap ordering a new M/H.
They have a new, well unreg Damon daybreak reduced from £90K to £59995 looks stunning.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I went to brownhills Preston today still trading and while I was there heard a chap ordering a new M/H.
They have a new, well unreg Damon daybreak reduced from £90K to £59995 looks stunning.

Way, way below cost, sounds like they are desperate to get some cash at any cost. MH's are not like the rag trade at 30% off and still make a good profit.

At that price they must be selling BELOW cost

Ian T

Free Member
Mar 20, 2008
NR19 NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt and Hightop
Exp
MHomes and tugging =40 yrs
Brownhills and Peterborough

I have never dealt with Brownhills, but have heard the stories. I would have thought that if they went into administration before the show, they would be illegally trading. Surely the shutter comes down, and the administrators have to sort things out fom there. To carry on trading would only add to their problems by involving potential sales, deposits, etc, and "Porky Pies" at this stage
Nice to meet some of the Funsters at the show. I did get rid of the cards that I borrowed from a stand that didnt seem to be interested in putting them about, and if GEO reads this, Cuddles says youv'e got lovely strong arms. :secret:
Byeeeeeeeeee
Ian T

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I spoke to a very senior Brownhills sales manager today. He did his best to assure me that it was a management buyout and that this was a good thing for the Brownhills Group. I then looked him in eye asked him if he thought the terrible reputation that Brownhills endure was the result of an inept managements and if so how much confidence did he have in the management buyout. He just blushed::bigsmile:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Jim,

Being sarcy maybe but were the salemen still wearing their big black badges with the 'Lifetime Guarantee' printed in gold lettering?

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I spoke to a very senior Brownhills sales manager today. He did his best to assure me that it was a management buyout and that this was a good thing for the Brownhills Group. I then looked him in eye asked him if he thought the terrible reputation that Brownhills endure was the result of an inept managements and if so how much confidence did he have in the management buyout. He just blushed::bigsmile:

Talk about putting him on the spot Jim::bigsmile:
Did you give him a card?:ROFLMAO:

solitaire woman

Free Member
Apr 27, 2008
Funster No
almost a motorhomer!

Cant believe I may not even make it to the ranks of motorhome owner. I have
paid deposit to Brownhills Preston for a motorhome, meant to collect next week, and now its apparently in administration! What happens now? Will the motorhome still be available to buy or will the administration team claim it? Thankfully I paid my deposit by credit card, so hopefully I will get the money back if it all goes pear shaped.
Would appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
If you paid by credit card, your deposit is safe. Just make sure you get clear title if you continue to purchase.

Get all the i's dotted and the T's crossed.

Regards.

mikel

Free Member
Mar 24, 2008
Funster No
Paying your deposit by credit card is the sensible way to go. I may be wrong here but I believe there is a time limit which is covered by the credit company. If you go beyond that limit there may be an issue. Something like a delay in delivery date, beyond your control, may negate the cover offered by credit card payment.

It's worthwhile when you pay deposit by credit card to get a written confirmation regarding delivery date just in case something goes wrong.

solitaire woman

Free Member
Apr 27, 2008
Funster No
Thanks for the info! The deposit form shows delivery in April, so am breathing a sigh of relief! Am off there this morning, probably along with a good few others, to try and find out what is happening. Am slightly worried that if I proceed, something will happen and the motorhome might be whisked away by auditors. Maybe Im
worrying unnecessarily!

finby

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
:helptitanic: IT COULDN'T HAPPEN TO A NICER BUNCH OF GUYS!!!!! I tried to buy a motorhome from Brownhills, Newark. However the salesman was so unbending and unyielding, that it was apparant that any negotiation was out of the question. He basically couldn't care less if he made a sale or not - his take it or leave it attitude was an experience!!.
I eventually bought my van from Marquis Motorhomes.
I got the trade in I wanted, plus a tank of diesel, a Status aeriel (fitted), a years free Road Tax and the first habitation service free (the last two were because of a mix up in delivery date). The staff were pleasant, apologetic for the error and generally made me feel like a "proper customer".
:restmycase:

solitaire woman

Free Member
Apr 27, 2008
Funster No
Have just returned from Hymer, Preston and they say not to worry! Everything is
fine, it is a management takeover, everything will be honoured as before. I have
asked them to put that in writing and should be picking the van up on Friday. Fingers crossed! Did phone Trading Standards who were the ones to advise me to get it all in writing. Bankers Cheque will be paid on the day that I get my van.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
I am pleased for you, Solitaire Woman BUT you said it is a Management Takeover - Is that the same management that "cocked" it all up before?

And what about the follow up corrections and repairs that you will inevitably need under warranty?

Still wouldn't trust them with a pedal car let alone tens of thousands of pounds of my hard earned money. :Eeek::Eeek:

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20+ but 30+ as a tugger

I may be mistaken but at Peterboro Brownhills were showing a N+B Clou at £99,995 - it looked identical to the one at Newark for sale at £147,995

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I may be mistaken but at Peterboro Brownhills were showing a N+B Clou at £99,995 - it looked identical to the one at Newark for sale at £147,995

It was at Preston last week for £120K ish. I fist saw it at Newark as you say. It must be the same one.

Nice van.

Richard...

buccaneer

Free Member
Oct 14, 2007
Funster No
They had a N+B gold colour on merc chassis RHD I do not know which model Price £105,995 in showroom.
All wood and lots of chrome.

IH TIO

Free Member
Oct 19, 2007
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Brownhills

My message of advice to the new owners would be:-

Please don't run the business as you have done previously in the same unprofessional/uncaring manner. We, as potential customers, like to be treated with respect and if we are told by you that you will telephone us with a part-exchange figure, then we expect to receive that call.

Bargain prices do not compensate for poor service. I would much rather pay a good price for a motorhome, safe in the knowledge that I will have a good backup service should I need it.

I am sure a lot of people will agree with me.

Enough said.

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
:Eeek: I spoke to Brownhills guys at Peterbro and asked whats going on, they told me that they had been in administraion for 1 day, but then there had been a managemant buy out, with these people remortgaging their houses as colateral.
The rumour going round the show was that they had sold their site at Newark to Asda Walmart, this they say is not true but that people had seen men dressed in
gear same as Asda, and assumed they wre buying the site, the Brownhill staff said they were in fact assessing the site for rating purposes. Watch this space. :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back