Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Is it me?

I have recently noticed a large amount of these 6'6" width restriction signs popping up.

Last weekend in the New Forest, every road off the main drag seemed to be width restricted with shiny new signs, deterring us from travelling down roads I'm sure we have travelled before.

And this weekend on the Isle of Wight, circumnavigating the island on the main road, we get to Ventnor to be faced with a width restriction ahead. Rather disbelieving, we carried on regardless, and sure enough no problem in passing (afterall the buses must go that way, and delivery trucks etc to feed the town). There was actually a traffic-lighted section where the road had been artificially shrunk using concrete blocks and bollards, though we were able to pass with no probs.

Now I'm likely to believe the weathered old restriction signs, but this sudden explosion of shiny new signs all over - call me paranoid, but is it nimby residents trying to deter motorhomes, caravanners, HGVs, delivery trucks etc from passing through? Some of these roads are the only way to access brown-signed tourist spots.

Anybody else noticed more restrictions popping up?

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
It used to be 7.5t restrictions to deter people and that is now moving more towards 3.5t.
If it keeps on going down the scale I won't be able to go out in my Land Rover, never mind the MH.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I think that one of the reasons is the inaccuracy of lorry sat-navs.
My road is a short residential road which has frequent heavy lorries using it as sat navs indicate right turn which should be taken about 400 yds away to the main road to the motorway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Yes in IOW last year we found ourselves unable to proceed when a road was closed for roadworks. All other routes had the width restriction signs. When I asked one of the locals what I was supposed to do I was told there wasn't actually any narrow sections along the roads, just that they wanted to discourage vehicles bigger than cars! and, sure enough the 'narrow roads' were perfectly passable. When people ask about how big our motorhome is giving the dimentions will often result in a blank stare so I will clarify it by saying, "about the size of an ambulance" which is usually much more something people can visualise. Presumably these nimbys won't want emergency vehicles being denied access to their area?

Wyn

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
I seem to remember a couple of years ago reading about an accident in a restricted width road that the vehicle whose width exceeded the limitations of that road was denied his insurance claim. Presumeably because he shouldn't have been there!

Ouch!

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Please don't ignore the width and height restrictions on the bridge crossing the River Severn at Jackfield, just up from the Ironbridge - it really is >6'6"< in both height and width!

I've seen a few large trucks who have been sent down there by their sat navs :Sad:

OP
OP
jamieBG
Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Makes it rather difficult doesn't it? :Doh:

If its to prevent HGVs from taking inappropriate satnav routes, why not say Not Suitable for HGVs, if it is actually a narrow/low route then use a height/width restriction.

Are these signs enforceable in law? If so, then surely they should not be conveying misleading information?

As it is, us drivers of larger vehicles can either not get to any of these places if we're good boys and girls and obey the signs, or risk invalidating insurance should we continue and anything unfortunate happen.

Generally we plan our routes on good old paper OS Explorer maps where you can actually see what size road, but that won't be of any help if the signage says no. Although they do often have a 'except for access' caveat.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I seem to remember a couple of years ago reading about an accident in a restricted width road that the vehicle whose width exceeded the limitations of that road was denied his insurance claim. Presumeably because he shouldn't have been there!

Ouch!

You know, one way or another, I can see myself becoming barred from getting just about anywhere!

:thumbdown: Spurious road width signs - can't take motorhome down those roads.

:thumbdown: A-frames to become illegal (possibly, allegedly) - can't tow small car behind van even if I wanted to.

:thumbdown: Approved towbars - might or might not become available for Apr 2012 reg van in order to tow above small car on (possibly illegal) A-frame.

:thumbdown: Bus bans - can't take dog on bus in certain areas (notably notorious Herefordshire). How many other areas to jump on the bandwagon?

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
The government got into the habit of telling lies with the introduction of speed cameras. There are many instances of a camera warning sign and no camera.

In France, if it warns you of a radar camera, there will be one.

We have the facility to erect signs that tell the truth; they are the ones with the red circle round the edge on a white background.

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
The government got into the habit of telling lies with the introduction of speed cameras. [HI]There are many instances of a camera warning sign and no camera. [/HI]
In France, if it warns you of a radar camera, there will be one.

We have the facility to erect signs that tell the truth; they are the ones with the red circle round the edge on a white background.[/QU

I think you will find that the presence of a camera warning sign is to advise the motorist that the section of road you are travelling on has been licensed for the purpose of either erecting a permanant camera or using a mobile device.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've just had a Google an found this website:

Link Removed

which says:

Weight and width restrictions

Weight and width restrictions are legal controls on a specified vehicle weight or width, mainly lorries, on certain roads and routes. Weight restrictions can be imposed for structural or for environmental reasons.

Used to prevent large vehicles from using inappropriate roads, routes and areas these restrictions should:

Reduce danger to pedestrians and other road users
Prevent damage to buildings, roads and bridges
Preserve the character, amenity and environment of an area
Reduce and manage congestion on the roads

Implementation

Restrictions are subject to a Traffic Regulation Order ( TRO ) and the associated procedures. Regulatory signs are displayed on site to notify users and to assist the police in carrying out its enforcement.

Enforcement

The police have limited resources to enforce this type of restriction (especially environmental restrictions). Those restrictions with 'except for access' clauses, needed to permit HGV access to local shops, businesses, residential properties for deliveries/removals etc, quickly fall into disrepute and are notoriously difficult to enforce. For this reason, enforcement commands a low priority and, where possible, physical measures should be introduced to prevent any abuse.

Restrictions will not be used if there is no suitable alternative route for the displaced traffic. Where a TRO restricts the use of a road, route or area to certain vehicles, the signing of a recommended alternative route will need to be considered

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Please don't ignore the width and height restrictions on the bridge crossing the River Severn at Jackfield, just up from the Ironbridge - it really is >6'6"< in both height and width!

I've seen a few large trucks who have been sent down there by their sat navs :Sad:

A bloke from Telford I work with from time to time warned me about that bridge. He had to flag down a motorhome last year while out on his motorbike, to get them to turn around.

It must be this one:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=jac...noid=azzymKTYqEEsns4mvK3c8A&cbp=12,45.18,,0,0

The height restriction bugs me - there's no reason why I shouldn't be able to cross that bridge as far as I can see, but I'm guessing they've had to go OTT because overweight vehicles haven't been turning around.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
A bloke from Telford I work with from time to time warned me about that bridge. He had to flag down a motorhome last year while out on his motorbike, to get them to turn around.

It must be this one:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=jac...noid=azzymKTYqEEsns4mvK3c8A&cbp=12,45.18,,0,0

The height restriction bugs me - there's no reason why I shouldn't be able to cross that bridge as far as I can see, but I'm guessing they've had to go OTT because overweight vehicles haven't been turning around.

I'll have to get you a picture of an underpass down here - height restriction is something like 6 feet! Stand on tip toes, and you can touch the roof!:ROFLMAO:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010

Nice meal at the Woodbridge next to it, though. :thumb:

Wyn

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back