Making up beds each night? Opinions please (1 Viewer)

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Hi,

We have potentially narrowed our search down to two possibilities.

A little bit of background is, we had an Elnagh Baron 46 a 7m coachbuilt with bed over garage no swivel seats and just a dinette to lounge in. Apart from the narrow rungs on the ladder and the lack of lounging space we had a great time in the MH and used it frequently.

Due to the two issues above we decided to sell it and bought a 32ft Winnebago partly for the layout partly up until we decided to sell it I thought Winnebago was the holy grail of motorhoming ( how we live and learn :cry: ). Don't get me wrong the layout was great with island bed at the back, push out sofa mid section large divided off shower room area etc. However as we discovered to our cost and partly literally we didn't take into consideration the impact of the fuel economy :Doh: mainly cause I just wanted one and the size was just way to impractical for OUR style of use hence we couldn't take it out for the day easily etc. ( i mean no disrespct to RV owners it just didnt suit us) and when we went to lake garda we couldn't get into camping butterfly (that's another story) eventhough they said we could and then ended up hiring a car all on top of £800 of fuel for the round trip.

So now we are going back down to earth. To cut a long story short (probably that's too late now) how do people find making up the bed each night?

We are considering the Chausson Flash 10 namely as it is 6m only yet 4 berth with dinette that makes up to a double and pull down double over the dinette making a kind of double bunk, one for junior and one for Cathy and I not sure which way round but worried we are going too small after the RV

We are also looking at the Chausson welcome 69 a 7m MH with French bed and pull down over dinette bed but obviously the benefit of a fixed rear bed and the pull down bed just being there and ready when you pull it down.

So would appreciate thoughts on the making up of a bed each night, is it that much of a hassle?

We really need to get this one right :Doh:

Thanks
G

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I changed a perfect Autosleeper Legend for a Chausson Welcome 85 purely because I got fed up with the rigmarole of making up and dismantling the bed every day.
It worked fine on fortnight holidays but when i retired and started spending several months away then it really became a grinding chore.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
I changed a perfect Autosleeper Legend for a Chausson Welcome 85 purely because I got fed up with the rigmarole of making up and dismantling the bed every day.
It worked fine on fortnight holidays but when i retired and started spending several months away then it really became a grinding chore.

We changed our AutoSleeper Ravenna for an Autotrail Apache 632 for exactly the same reasons.

Brisey & Pamelaaar.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
My last van was a fixed bed but I felt we sacraficed space for it and had no kick back area. Kicking back with a table does not work for me , too cramped :Sad: My current van is a rear lounge , when we arrive we make the beds up as singles and that is how they stay until we move on . I find this works really well and have no current problems with it , obviously if we had people in for a drink then beds would be put away. :winky:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We got fed up with bed making in our Autoquest and would have changed it last year even if Mr Asda hadn't given us a helping hand ::bigsmile: Fixed bed in the Burstner is much easier :thumb:

Teepee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
1 year
Making beds every night can be a right pain, but for how long it takes 5 to 10 minutes, you get used to it. I Do it all the time.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hi,

A little bit of background is, we had an Elnagh Baron 46 a 7m coachbuilt with bed over garage no swivel seats and just a dinette to lounge in. Apart from the narrow rungs on the ladder and the lack of lounging space we had a great time in the MH and used it frequently.

Due to the two issues above we decided to sell it and bought a 32ft Winnebago partly for the layout partly up until we decided to sell it I thought Winnebago was the holy grail of motorhoming ( how we live and learn :cry: ). Don't get me wrong the layout was great with island bed at the back, push out sofa mid section large divided off shower room area etc. However as we discovered to our cost and partly literally we didn't take into consideration the impact of the fuel economy :Doh: mainly cause I just wanted one and the size was just way to impractical for OUR style of use hence we couldn't take it out for the day easily etc. ( i mean no disrespct to RV owners it just didnt suit us) and when we went to lake garda we couldn't get into camping butterfly (that's another story) eventhough they said we could and then ended up hiring a car all on top of £800 of fuel for the round trip.

So now we are going back down to earth. To cut a long story short (probably that's too late now) how do people find making up the bed each night?

We are considering the Chausson Flash 10 namely as it is 6m only yet 4 berth with dinette that makes up to a double and pull down double over the dinette making a kind of double bunk, one for junior and one for Cathy and I not sure which way round but worried we are going too small after the RV

We are also looking at the Chausson welcome 69 a 7m MH with French bed and pull down over dinette bed but obviously the benefit of a fixed rear bed and the pull down bed just being there and ready when you pull it down.

So would appreciate thoughts on the making up of a bed each night, is it that much of a hassle?

Thanks
G

The easy option I took ........simples. Got an RV with full size double bed :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oh sorry you have no room in a Eurobox for a proper bed :cry:
Go back to an RV
Any thing else will not Mach what you had

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
WARNING,WARNING!!!!:Eeek:

Don't be seduced by all those good-looking low profiles!

Your little 'un won't be happy unless there is an overcab bed to make his den in!!!!!::bigsmile:

Those drop-down beds might be trendy, but wouldn't it be nice to have a ready-made lounge you can use at any time? Plus where will you store all his toys and gadgets when the drop-down bed is stowed away?

Just a thought and only a personal opinion, you understand!::bigsmile:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We have the rear u-shaped lounge in our Autoquest, but have the bed "made up" most of the time because it's just the two of us in a 6 berth and it's ready to jump into at night. So it's fixed for us at the moment.

We tend of eat, read, use laptop etc at the centre table and watch the tv spread out on the rear bed in the evening:Smile: The overcab bed is used for storage only, we would be lost without this.

I hated having to make up the bed at the rear, so suggested that Bill did it for a change:winky: so after a lot of huffing and puffing, he decided we were as well to keep it made up as a bed when away and that's how we are at the moment.

But we are looking for another van because I like the idea of stretching on a side settee. We would need a fixed rear bed for this, which would save a lot of hassle having to make the beds each time. However, a lot of people have said that a "fixed bed" is a waste of space.

I suppose it's down to what's right for you and how many there are of you.
There's only us two in a 6 berth van, but then again I would like a separate shower..........that's another story:RollEyes:
Margaret::bigsmile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009

I can see where this is heading to not make up a bed every night and we do at least know that we can use a 7m MH frequently.

Cheers
G

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
We looked at vans for 2 years and always both returned to our bessacarr with island bed. Had it for over 3 years now and wouldn't change it for the world. Plenty of space up front in lounge and the option of the bed at the back to literally fall back on.
Would still not like. The idea of making up the beds each day as we travel for3 months at a time. On the other hand, if you are away only for a couple of weeks, a shorter van will give you the option of getting out and xabout more. We tend to anchor up for a while, get the awning and panels up and use elecric bikes and public transport.

Lin

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
::bigsmile:
Bill has just asked what I was typing on here and I said it's a question regarding "making up the bed at the rear".

His answer, "Oh, now that is a real pain in the a££se"!!:Angry:
Margaret

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Chausson Welcome 28 or 35!

7.07M, garage, fixed rear bed, lounge incorporating swivelling front seats, RWD Transit chassis, HUGE overcab for Alexander's World!:roflmto:

Link Removed

Last edited:

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Make up

Purchased Dethleffs I6611 as it had two single beds at rear- they are there and don't need to go through procedure of making up beds and putting everything away each time we stopped somewhere.
I have mobility problems and we have watched other able bodied friends who are more mature than we are, making up beds and folding everything up when they stop and move off.
Our beds are always made up, means you can use your storage space for other bits and bobs, or for the things that you find abroad that are good value and that you don't really need, but you buy them anyway.
Everyone to their own - what works for some, won't suit others, the permanent, twin bed layout works for us, and faithful friend Honey the boxer - she won't have the patience to wait while the bed was being made.

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
WARNING,WARNING!!!!:Eeek:

Don't be seduced by all those good-looking low profiles!

Your little 'un won't be happy unless there is an overcab bed to make his den in!!!!!::bigsmile:

Those drop-down beds might be trendy, but wouldn't it be nice to have a ready-made lounge you can use at any time? Plus where will you store all his toys and gadgets when the drop-down bed is stowed away?

Just a thought and only a personal opinion, you understand!::bigsmile:

Aah hasn't thought of that and it would be the first time in an MH with a child. This takes us back to a Chausson Welcome Top 58 we have seen on the Travelworld website

Thanks for the advice :thumb:

G

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Auto Sleeper Sigma

Our M/H has a rear longue which turns into our bed at night etc.
Simple!! I walk the dog last thing at night, wiffee makes the bed and vice versa in the morning.
Only takes a few minutes and she doesn't mind doing it.
If we are travelling down to Spain for the winter we use the single beds en route.
Works for us:thumb:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Aah hasn't thought of that and it would be the first time in an MH with a child. This takes us back to a Chausson Welcome Top 58 we have seen on the Travelworld website

Thanks for the advice :thumb:

G

Nice Van!:thumb:

Great minds think alike! I prefer the drive wheels at the rear, though! The Fiat cab makes for an airier lounge than our Tranny one though!:cry:

Good luck with your search!:thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Chausson Welcome 28 or 35!

7.07M, garage, fixed rear bed, lounge incorporating swivelling front seats, RWD Transit chassis, HUGE overcab for Alexander's World!:roflmto:

Link Removed

Thanks !!!!

Looks very nice we have been looking on the Highbridge website not sure how we missed this or did we:Eeek:, we have been looking at so many the mind boggles.

I was just talking to Cathy and she was saying that as we have had a 24ft overcab coachbuilt and we know that apart from the the lounging and ladder which with this would be sorted as the seats swivel etc and there are steps up to the rear bed that maybe we could go with slight change to what we know

Cheers
G

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hi,

Thanks
G

Been there done that.
Get rid of the Rv while you still can we got rid of ours for the same reasons too expensive to run and turned away from too many sites, every trip had to be planned which didn't suit our type of travelling. The extra space is ok but not worth the hassle. Now got a German Hymer 25ft far better build quality can use all year round not just in warm weather. Never been turned away from a site and we've been all over Europe in it, owned 3 years had no major problems. Full size rear bed over garage in fact we have the same Raskelf topper from the RV on it and its identical in size. Nice lounge sits 6 easily big sofa and 3 captain chairs and table. Plus a huge garage which carries our 650 m/bike on board and a massive payload. Had a Autotrail once with a make up bed what a pain in the ass never again, once I've had a few the last thing I'm capable of is making a bed. If I couldn't have a rear bed I'd go for the overcab and keep the floor space free for lounging.
Good Luck: thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have the rear u-shaped lounge in our Autoquest, but have the bed "made up" most of the time because it's just the two of us in a 6 berth and it's ready to jump into at night. So it's fixed for us at the moment.

We tend of eat, read, use laptop etc at the centre table and watch the tv spread out on the rear bed in the evening:Smile: The overcab bed is used for storage only, we would be lost without this.

I hated having to make up the bed at the rear, so suggested that Bill did it for a change:winky: so after a lot of huffing and puffing, he decided we were as well to keep it made up as a bed when away and that's how we are at the moment.

But we are looking for another van because I like the idea of stretching on a side settee. We would need a fixed rear bed for this, which would save a lot of hassle having to make the beds each time. However, a lot of people have said that a "fixed bed" is a waste of space.

I suppose it's down to what's right for you and how many there are of you.
There's only us two in a 6 berth van, but then again I would like a separate shower..........that's another story:RollEyes:
Margaret::bigsmile:
It wouldn't have been so bad if our Autoquest had been 6 berth but we only had the 100 model :Smile:
The side settee in our Burstner isn't all that long but we manage to stretch out OK :Smile:

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Been there done that.
Get rid of the Rv while you still can we got rid of ours for the same reasons too expensive to run and turned away from too many sites, every trip had to be planned which didn't suit our type of travelling. The extra space is ok but not worth the hassle. Now got a German Hymer 25ft far better build quality can use all year round not just in warm weather. Never been turned away from a site and we've been all over Europe in it, owned 3 years had no major problems. Full size rear bed over garage in fact we have the same Raskelf topper from the RV on it and its identical in size. Nice lounge sits 6 easily big sofa and 3 captain chairs and table. Plus a huge garage which carries our 650 m/bike on board and a massive payload. Had a Autotrail once with a make up bed what a pain in the ass never again, once I've had a few the last thing I'm capable of is making a bed. If I couldn't have a rear bed I'd go for the overcab and keep the floor space free for lounging.
Good Luck: thumb:

Thanks, we got rid of the RV in the autumn took us a year to sell and having owned it for 2 years took a £14k hit OUCH:cry:

We were thinking of bikes on the back as we did with the RV but in reality probably better to put them in a garage and be done with it.

As they say its good to talk and this site is great for getting an all rounded experienced view, although we had a motorhome for 3 years we are just worried about making another mistake we want this one to last us a goodly amount of time.

When we had the Elnagh we had a great few trips last minute to Dorset a couple of times trip down through France, Belgium, Germany and Austria without any problems and just got in where we could I agree with you much better, with the RV even when we planned it and got confirmation they could take the RV with the dimensions it still wouldn't fit.

Cheers:thumb:
G

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Oh!

Just a thought, the Chausson overcab easily swallows 2 adults. We use king size bedding to fit ours.

If, when viewing Chaussons with fixed rear beds, look under the rear mattress. We have a large cargo net stowed under ours which fastens up to prevent kiddies falling out of bed.

If you are worried about Alex taking a tumble whilst he is little, you can swap beds until he grows up!:thumb:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Autosleeper Symphony, one fixed single 30 seconds to throw sleeping bag and pillow on it, other bed involves sliding single seat forward to meet all ready swivled passenger, throw on sleeping bag and pillow, max 60 secs. Now how can that be a chore??? New van, Excelsior, two fixed single sofas will be quicker still. Owned a fixed bed Dethleff, what a chore to make the bed. Garage was nice though. We are all different. BUSBY.::bigsmile:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have a u shaped lounge in the rear of our van with a loose table most Of the time we make the bed up and leave it and sit on it at the table then lounge back on it to watch the tele, only two of us though, wouldn't work with more, leaves toilet and cooker free even with the bed up and we like it better than a fixed dining area

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'd suggest a fixed rear double bed - this can be used by you or your kiddie and will make an excellent play area for him during the day if you need to do other things (such as cooking) without him being under your feet. It will also give you loads of storage space for toys, bikes etc (both yours and his! (LOL) ). Overcab beds are good for storage but I wouldn't want to travel with bikes etc up there in case they come tumbling down!!!:whatthe:

I'd suggest seeing if you can get one with an 'L' shaped front lounge layout (which still has the ability to provide travel seats) as this will incorporate the front cab seats so give you a much roomier lounge than a normal double dinette will. :Smile:

There is the current fad for these drop down beds over dinettes but the problem is that once they are deployed you can't then use the dinette! :Doh:

Also watch the payload and get whatever you decide to buy WEIGHED on a weighbridge to confirm what you're being told by dealers etc - they tell 'porkies'!!! :Blush:

We had a lovely Rimor Sailer 645TC 7.14m low profile motorhome with a fixed transverse rear bed and it was great space wise and if it hadn't been so long and have such a low payload we'd have kept it however I would then have altered the double dinette and made it into an 'L' shaped one instead and put a swivel on the front seats. This 'L' layout is available anyway so you might want to have a look for it but in the 'Superbrig' variant which has an overcab bed, it also goes under the Kentucky name too. :thumb:

There are also some with a similar layout but with transverse single beds at the rear, the bottom one usually tips up and can be used as a garage instead, but still leave the upper one for sleeping.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
I'd suggest a fixed rear double bed - this can be used by you or your kiddie and will make an excellent play area for him during the day if you need to do other things (such as cooking) without him being under your feet. It will also give you loads of storage space for toys, bikes etc (both yours and his! (LOL) ). Overcab beds are good for storage but I wouldn't want to travel with bikes etc up there in case they come tumbling down!!!:whatthe:

I'd suggest seeing if you can get one with an 'L' shaped front lounge layout (which still has the ability to provide travel seats) as this will incorporate the front cab seats so give you a much roomier lounge than a normal double dinette will. :Smile:

There is the current fad for these drop down beds over dinettes but the problem is that once they are deployed you can't then use the dinette! :Doh:

Also watch the payload and get whatever you decide to buy WEIGHED on a weighbridge to confirm what you're being told by dealers etc - they tell 'porkies'!!! :Blush:

We had a lovely Rimor Sailer 645TC 7.14m low profile motorhome with a fixed transverse rear bed and it was great space wise and if it hadn't been so long and have such a low payload we'd have kept it however I would then have altered the double dinette and made it into an 'L' shaped one instead and put a swivel on the front seats. This 'L' layout is available anyway so you might want to have a look for it but in the 'Superbrig' variant which has an overcab bed, it also goes under the Kentucky name too. :thumb:

There are also some with a similar layout but with transverse single beds at the rear, the bottom one usually tips up and can be used as a garage instead, but still leave the upper one for sleeping.

Thanks Mel

Yes payload is something we coming a cropper with, the Elnagh was great with a 960kg payload (it was over 3500kg) only trouble was we just needed p filling the garage with everything we didn't need but having the RV with a third lesst payload it taught us to trim down a bit.

Appreciate your advice:thumb:

Cheers
G

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have just changed this year from an elddis 130 to an Adria Matrix 780P and it has a drop down bed above the lounge area like you mention, we also have a fixed bed at the rear. If we drop the bed down we can still sit on the swivel seats and our daughter uses the back bed so she can pull the curtain over and have her own wee space.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Beds in motorhomes do vary in size especially where you are turning either the rear lounge or dining room table into a bed. Some are narrow and some are shorter than others.

If you decide this is the way you want to go, please make sure you both try the beds out. Some are easier than others to convert as well.

It got too much to change the table into a bed and back again, especially with my arthritis. If you are lucky to have good weather in the the summer you can leave the bed set up and put tables and chairs outside for a dining/social area but it can be a real bind in winter.

If your next purchase is going to last you a long time, think about all situations - if one of you broke a leg would you manage?
a) to change the table into a bed and back
b) if you slept in a drop down bed would you be able to get into it.
c) if one of you was ill and needed to stay in bed

If you are taking children go for at least 24ft. If its pooring with rain every day you wont want to be in each others pockets all the time.

If fuel consumption is the only bind, could you not get a conversion to lpg? just a thought?

hope this has been helpful

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Beds in motorhomes do vary in size especially where you are turning either the rear lounge or dining room table into a bed. Some are narrow and some are shorter than others.

If you decide this is the way you want to go, please make sure you both try the beds out. Some are easier than others to convert as well.

It got too much to change the table into a bed and back again, especially with my arthritis. If you are lucky to have good weather in the the summer you can leave the bed set up and put tables and chairs outside for a dining/social area but it can be a real bind in winter.

If your next purchase is going to last you a long time, think about all situations - if one of you broke a leg would you manage?
a) to change the table into a bed and back
b) if you slept in a drop down bed would you be able to get into it.
c) if one of you was ill and needed to stay in bed

If you are taking children go for at least 24ft. If its pooring with rain every day you wont want to be in each others pockets all the time.

If fuel consumption is the only bind, could you not get a conversion to lpg? just a thought?

hope this has been helpful

Extremely helpful thanks :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back