Bed strutts for older van (1 Viewer)

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
I notice that on some of the more modern motorhomes with beds over the cab they are lifted by gas strutts. Allowing more head clearance in cab:Smile: whilst bed is not in use. My van allows the bed to be split in half but it is a bit of a pain (in more ways than one) especially when the bed is made up so I was wondering if anyone with an older type van has been able to add these successfully and if so where would i get strutts from.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I have only seen gas struts on beds in A class such as HYMER!!!!!:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I notice that on some of the more modern motorhomes with beds over the cab they are lifted by gas strutts. Allowing more head clearance in cab:Smile: whilst bed is not in use. My van allows the bed to be split in half but it is a bit of a pain (in more ways than one) especially when the bed is made up so I was wondering if anyone with an older type van has been able to add these successfully and if so where would i get strutts from.

SGS Engineering.

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/

Be prepared with the geometry and weights and they'll design it for you (don't forget to account for the weight of the bedding, or it will sag). Alternatively, calculate the expected force in N and add 20%.

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
SGS Engineering.

Be prepared with the geometry and weights and they'll design it for you [HI](don't forget to account for the weight of the bedding, or it will sag)[/HI]. Alternatively, calculate the expected force in N and add 20%.

Struts are very rarely used on their own, they are more often used as an assist device along with a seat belt type strap to lock into the up position

OP
OP
Lucky one
Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
SGS Engineering.

Be prepared with the geometry and weights and they'll design it for you (don't forget to account for the weight of the bedding, or it will sag). Alternatively, calculate the expected force in N and add 20%.
Thanks for that they seem to be the people i need. I will take some photos and see what they suggest. :Smile: So many helpful people on this site :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Lucky one
Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
Struts are very rarely used on their own, they are more often used as an assist device along with a seat belt type strap to lock into the up position
Yes and if the strutts are too strong i could end up being pinned up against the ceiling :Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back