Webasto 3900 Diesel Help..... (1 Viewer)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Well, first time that we have used the Webasto heater in earnest and last night it was running until we turned down the temperature whereupon it winds down, however when the temperature drops it tries to start, but after a few minutes flashes fault code F04 Premature flame detection or F05 Flame detector interruption or flame detector short-circuit ( I say F04 or F05 because the flashing is so fast you cannot tell which it is!! )
This morning I checked all the wiring out that's fine and reset the system and again works fine until it tries to restart and into fault 04 or 05. This afternoon I wired it direct to the batteries ( I have 3 total 260AmpH ) so voltage is very good. Again sames thing happens.
The strange thing is if I start the engine and try it........ works fine.

Would anyone have any idea as I'm clean out of them!!!! or is it a visit to local dealer?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Count the slow flashes not the rapid ones!

My money is on a low voltage fault caused by goosed batteries.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Count the slow flashes not the rapid ones!

Thank you

Just checked and the slow flashes are 3 ( which is F03 Undervoltage or overvoltage ) which I cannot understand as I just checked my batteries and currently SOC=87.9% - Voltage 11.89 (via my victron 600s). Think I need to check each battery see if they are holding charge. Does not rain but it pours!!!!!!!!!!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Thank you

Just checked and the slow flashes are 3 ( which is F03 Undervoltage or overvoltage ) which I cannot understand as I just checked my batteries and currently SOC=87.9% - Voltage 11.89 (via my victron 600s). Think I need to check each battery see if they are holding charge. Does not rain but it pours!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Webasto glow plug draws a high current on start up. A sure sign of a poor supply is your interior lights pulsing as the heater attempts to start.

By the way, 11.89V is 65% discharged! Are you sure of the calibration of your battery monitor?
Hope this points you in the right direction.

-Jon

OP
OP
Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
The Webasto glow plug draws a high current on start up. A sure sign of a poor supply is your interior lights pulsing as the heater attempts to start.

By the way, 11.89V is 65% discharged! Are you sure of the calibration of your battery monitor?
Hope this points you in the right direction.

-Jon

Jon, you are a STAR the LED lights do pulse that's why I connected direct to the battery........ Yes I set the calibration on the monitor by adding all 3 of the batteries together ( one is 8 months old the other 2 are 2/3 years old ) Lucky I'm at the Carmarthenshire Show with the "funsters" so tomorrow I will go across and see what price the batteries are....
Thank you again.

OP
OP
Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Back at the in-laws and about to get some new batteries. Look for advice please. I always thought I had 3 x Leisure batteries one under the drivers seat and one under the passenger seat and the other under the seat by the door. Today thought I would get a understanding for the system and found that the battery under the drivers seat is for the engine.

So my 2 questions is this before I buy the batteries:

Can I use a 110 leisure battery for the engine battery/system ( current one is 80amp and dead 11.7volt right now ) and change the other 2 to 110amp hour ( both old ones are are failing!!). I have checked the charging system both vehicular and on mains and and they are working fine. The 80watt solar panel is also working fine.

Second question I have the Victron 600s do I set the amp to 220amp hour ( two batteries ) or 330amp hour ( 3 x batteries ).

I'm not sure and want to get it right before ordering new batteries.

Advise or suggestions would at this stage be great as I have no hair left and the teddy is less arms and one leg.........:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back