LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Does any one know if, in general, WiFi in a public area is horizontal, vertical or circular polarity ? I canna seem to find any decent info at all !

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
I'd guess from dedicated WiFi hotspots vertical, as they have colinears.

Much of the WiFi comes from BT and Fon come from domestic routers, so they may be strange with antennas like MIMO in some routers, which may produce some strange patterns.

Of course, if you can't see the source, you may get some strange effects from reflections and diffraction etc

Maybe there is someone who knows better?!

Cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thanks guys.. really good info all round :thumb:

The reason I asked was that I am thinking of dumping my panel type high gain external antenna in favour of a stick ( probably multiple sticks ) and router type set up and just wondered if it would be possible to mount the stick(s) horizontal in a quad set up Or a single stick mounted where the panel is at present which is 'steerable' by virtue of it being mounted on the tv antenna mast which I can rotate from inside the van

But with what has been said ( again I thank you both :thumb: ) quite obviously that is a pretty stupid idea !!

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
I'd just get a vertical - usually some on Ebay, Solwise always has a good selection for ideas as well.

Cheers

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The problem I am having is not with the antenna choice but finding something I can connect to it that will give me wifi in the van ( so to speak )

I use a laptop and of course that has USB ports so no problem using anything I want in the amplified range of antenna.. But I also use an iPad.. no USB so I need to attach some sort of router to the external aerial .. I know there is the iBoost system but at a few pence short of £160 I am singularly unimpressed !!! :winky:

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
In that case you just need a access point with an external aerial connector capable of acting as in Client mode and then resend it on via a normal Access Point.
That means it can scan the external WiFi and act as a router.Lots of cheap stuff on Link Removed that will do that. It is a bit messy as you will need two.

If you want to do it on the cheap, get one of those USB aerial things, and then turn your Laptop into a WiFi access point so you can access it from the IPad.
See here for some ideas on how to do it with Windows 7 (not sure what you are running as an Operating System). The Broken Link Removed (Free) may be all you need.

Alternatively buy me a beer in a fortnight and you can have all the advice you want ::bigsmile:

Cheers

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
LOL !! You are welcome to a beer no matter what ! :thumb:

The reason this all started is cos a lot of the time I just cannot be doing with firing up the laptop so whatever I do it needs to be stand alone so it can be used with the iPad for quick and easy access :thumb:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
In that case you just need a access point with an external aerial connector capable of acting as in Client mode and then resend it on via a normal Access Point.
That means it can scan the external WiFi and act as a router.Lots of cheap stuff on Link Removed that will do that. It is a bit messy as you will need two.

If you want to do it on the cheap, get one of those USB aerial things, and then turn your Laptop into a WiFi access point so you can access it from the IPad.
See here for some ideas on how to do it with Windows 7 (not sure what you are running as an Operating System). The Broken Link Removed (Free) may be all you need.

Alternatively buy me a beer in a fortnight and you can have all the advice you want ::bigsmile:

Cheers
I have been trying to do just that-- but it seems when the laptop is receving the signal through a usb wifi booster it uses the wireless software,then it wont produce a hotspot.
If it comes through ethernet cable it works ok then as a hotspot--seems as if a laptop can`t do what my smart phone does:Eeek:

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
The problem I am having is not with the antenna choice but finding something I can connect to it that will give me wifi in the van ( so to speak )

I use a laptop and of course that has USB ports so no problem using anything I want in the amplified range of antenna.. But I also use an iPad.. no USB so I need to attach some sort of router to the external aerial .. I know there is the iBoost system but at a few pence short of £160 I am singularly unimpressed !!! :winky:

I think i have posted this before - ie connect booster aerial to one router for "site wifi" pickup - daisy chain this to a 2nd router for "van wifi".

You need to obviously use a different channel in the van, all in the setup of the router.

1st router - set the IP @ 252 and you can have DHCP on this unit set the max to 200 (although you probably only ever need 5 "slots" free) "Site Wifi" connect your booster aerial to this unit.

2nd router set IP @ 253 - DHCP must be off "Van Wifi"

Standard IP would be 192.168.1.xxx
I use Google DNS 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4

Daisy chain the two routers with a standard rj45 doesnt need to be twisted - just a straight cable between the two routers.

You dont need anything fancy - TP link do routers from £20 - i have a pair i paid ~£30 for over a year ago. The tricky bit will be matching the connectors for the screw on aerials on the back of the router and your booster aerial - you can get adapters or if confident - splice on a new connector.

You obviously need to set device passwords and the wifi password for the "Van Wifi" as you would do normally.

Does this make sense? It might sound like gibberish - but i can write a longer method for you if you want to go down this route.

You can use software on your lappie to create a wifi hotspot - but this puts the burden on your lappie to run this - if youre solo - not so much of an issue...could be a problem with 4 or 5 devices sucking on the load.

I dont like the software option personally, but i know people use it and it works.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
No mate.. good effort ( in fact an A for effort LOL ! ) but somewhat missing the point..

Ok.. let me start from scratch cos it is getting farther away from what is actually needed !

Put simply, external antenna to something that will give me wifi in the van

My current external antenna is USB driven ( no Rj connection just the USB one ) but has the wrong chipset to allow me to use it on the iBoost router

So far, the only real option I have been able to come up with is the iBoost and matching antenna ( which I believe but have never seen ) has an RJ45 connector on the end ( so I am guessing .. and it is a wild guess, they use one of the unused pairs in the CAP5 line to run power up to the antenna ) the iBoost system offered by motorhomewifi.com is excellent but at £160 just too much lolly...

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
No mate.. good effort ( in fact an A for effort LOL ! ) but somewhat missing the point..

Ok.. let me start from scratch cos it is getting farther away from what is actually needed !

Put simply, external antenna to something that will give me wifi in the van

My current external antenna is USB driven ( no Rj connection just the USB one ) but has the wrong chipset to allow me to use it on the iBoost router

So far, the only real option I have been able to come up with is the iBoost and matching antenna ( which I believe but have never seen ) has an RJ45 connector on the end ( so I am guessing .. and it is a wild guess, they use one of the unused pairs in the CAP5 line to run power up to the antenna ) the iBoost system offered by motorhomewifi.com is excellent but at £160 just too much lolly...

Well thats exactly what i posted just a different way...although now I know you have a USB aerial connection its not going to work....

...Still you could replace the aerial AND buy two routers for substantially less than the £160 for the MHWF option....

The two router option allows one to connect to the external wifi source via an external booster aerial (one with a screw fitting or one that can be used with an adapter!) and the second router gives you full wifi in (and probably outside) the van. It will give you 4 RJ45 connections and any wifi devices - no problems.

This works well and is what i have at home (although i use a powerline adapter to link the two routers - thus allowing me to use the 2nd wifi "area" for coverage out onto the patio)....

The booster aerial being connected to one router means it cannot provide wifi in the van - its there to connect to your external source and act as the DHCP; the 2nd router creates the wifi you can connect to in the van and gives you the connectivity options.

This solution gives you total control of config and security, whilst also being easy to replace any items that break in future as its all standard stuff not a bespoke item....just my opinion of course :Smile:

its a case of shell-out for the MHWF unit - or rebuild with a different option, as the stumbling block is the aerial connector - i dont know of any routers that will take a USB aerial....but someone else may ?

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ok.. With it somewhat now ...

But ( sorry !! ::bigsmile: ) all the 'normal' routers I look at have an input that is RJ, so are looking for a wired signal ..

I guess I am missing something fairly basic here ( I seem to have my head full of cotton wool this weekend :Doh: )

What sort or router(s) would you recomend ?

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
aaah...dont confuse the network connectors with the aerials - which are likely to be SMA connectors....

The connector thing IS vital though - as its important to get the booster aerial connected to it.

I found this aerial
[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B000Q69L1C/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1"]TP link aerial[/ame]

and this router...
[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WA830RE-300Mbps-Wireless-Extender/dp/B006BBYXPA/ref=sr_1_21?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1368281044&sr=1-21&keywords=tp+link+wireless"]TP link router[/ame]

I havent spent a lot of time looking - just went for something that i know - so there will be other options, but TP link stuff is cheap as chips - poor manuals as theyre chinese translations - but it works.

Although to be honest you only need 1 to have the SMA connectors - you can use any old wireless router to create the van wifi - it MUST allow you to switch off the DHCP though or the routers will not talk to each other otherwise.

If you can blag a second router off someone - pretty sure your mates will have a spare unit - you can get manuals from google and save yourself some cash that way...in fact if you can get a couple of freebies - checkout the aerial connectors, if its a standard fitting you can track down a booster aerial to fit it - double cheap solution:thumb:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Excellent !!! :thumb:
Got it now ::bigsmile:
Really appreciate your help and patience !

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
Excellent !!! :thumb:
Got it now ::bigsmile:
Really appreciate your help and patience !

No problem...::bigsmile:

except i posted a range extender not a router :Doh: - sorry gimme a mo I will find the right link.....:Blush:

and if you need any help with the config - just pm me and i'll see if i can help :thumb:

Last edited:

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=TL-ANT2424B"]Wifi Anywhere![/ame]

just found this on their site - should improve your range a bit ! :ROFLMAO:

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
Just noticed the amazon links dont work....

So here are a couple of antennae choices....just goto fleabay or amazon with the product codes....

Discreet Antennae <- normal job

Long Range job!! :ROFLMAO:

Low Cost Router

this is simple in principle - its about connecting a long range antennae to a router thats just a bit tricky advising you on, as i cant see what you have already. If you can get a freebie or two that have detachable aerials we can probably rig something up for peanuts.

The tech bit is configuring the IP's so they dont clash and remembering to turn off the DHCP in one router...if that sounds like chinese, pm and I'll write a more detailed explanation :thumb:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
LOVE that 'long range' one.. reminds me of the corner reflector antenna's I used to make and use for node to node connection across the wilds of Norfolk for packet radio links on UHF :thumb:

I should thank that quoted 24dB is not far off either !

Anyways.. I digress...

What do you reckon on this ?

Link Removed

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
Yep that looks great ...sorry got caught up cooking and er...drinking wine :ROFLMAO:

3hrs left on that router...hope you get this before it goes!

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well I missed that one but just found another that ends about 1am.. put a 2 quid bid on it !

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
John have a look at my set up when we arrive at the bash , I am sure it will do what you require and cost me £45 for the WiFi 12 volt router and connects to my long range USB Ariel:Smile:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
John have a look at my set up when we arrive at the bash , I am sure it will do what you require and cost me £45 for the WiFi 12 volt router and connects to my long range USB Ariel:Smile:

Great stuff :thumb:

Got that router of fleabay for 99p last night ( plus postage of course but still cheap as chips )

Are you wanting to access 3G wifi with an outdoor Ariel or are you wanting to find wifi hotspots?

Hotspots.. Not really interested in improving the fone signal as I always seem to get great signals with the Galaxy anyway ( and I can always tether to that while in the UK.. this is all about shooting for WiFi whilst travelling abroad :Smile: )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back