Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Its a painful weekend for the wallet here in Telford. At the end of the P'boro show our camper (Eclipse) on a '97 Iveco turbo daily demonstrated an unusual jingling noise in the engine bay. Had a look earlier this week (first chance to get under the bonnet) and alternator bearings are failing so its a new alternator. To get access to the alternator I removed the air intake hose from the turbo and discovered that the turbo bearings are b*$gered too so add a turbo to the shopping list. Now the easy way to get at the alternator is to remove the frot panel complete with headlights and indicators (two bolts, two nuts, disconnect the bonnet release cable and lights wiring) then the rad so that means new anti freeze, well it is four years old so due for replacement. Then while its all stripped down I figured I might as well fit a new cambelt and tensioners and while I'm at it a new thermostat (Eclipse has always run cool so hopefully this will help). I don't know the total cost yet as all the invoices went into the orifice for Jackie to deal with but the turbo and alternator totalled over £600:cry: Had to go for a brand new turbo as I couldn't locate a recon unit, several places would recon mine but that would leave me with an immobile 3+ Tonne motorhome for at least three days, probably four and I just don't have the room for that. Besides which the new turbo was not that much more than the cost of reconditioning my old unit.

Ah well at least it should be trouble free motoring for the next four years::bigsmile:......................hopefully!

D.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Sorry to hear this but on the bright side - No big bills for the next four years
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
OUCH

but at least you will be safe xxxxx and a job better done in warm weather than in the middle of winter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
We're bringing our van in to you in a fortnight - are your prices going up??? :cry:

Wyn

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Its a painful weekend for the wallet here in Telford. At the end of the P'boro show our camper (Eclipse) on a '97 Iveco turbo daily demonstrated an unusual jingling noise in the engine bay. Had a look earlier this week (first chance to get under the bonnet) and alternator bearings are failing so its a new alternator. To get access to the alternator I removed the air intake hose from the turbo and discovered that the turbo bearings are b*$gered too so add a turbo to the shopping list. Now the easy way to get at the alternator is to remove the frot panel complete with headlights and indicators (two bolts, two nuts, disconnect the bonnet release cable and lights wiring) then the rad so that means new anti freeze, well it is four years old so due for replacement. Then while its all stripped down I figured I might as well fit a new cambelt and tensioners and while I'm at it a new thermostat (Eclipse has always run cool so hopefully this will help). I don't know the total cost yet as all the invoices went into the orifice for Jackie to deal with but the turbo and alternator totalled over £600:cry: Had to go for a brand new turbo as I couldn't locate a recon unit, several places would recon mine but that would leave me with an immobile 3+ Tonne motorhome for at least three days, probably four and I just don't have the room for that. Besides which the new turbo was not that much more than the cost of reconditioning my old unit.

Ah well at least it should be trouble free motoring for the next four years::bigsmile:......................hopefully!

D.
Hi Dave sorry to hear of your misfortune :Smile: You should have given me a shout I have a complete engine,gearbox with all the bits on ie turbo alternator pump etc etc, Although I have it for spares for my own (paid £300) van I would not see a fellow funster stuck.You could have had all the bits you needed and simply replaced them at your lesure as and when you dropped on them :thumb: or I could have got my mate to get them to replace --he gets almost anything to do with engines given enough time but rarely takes longer than a couple of weeks ---only 2 weeks ago I was offered another complete engine /gbox and rear diff for £400 but it was a non turbo - I asked on here if anyone was interested:Smile:
terry
edit only a few weeks back my alt went bust and I took one look and thought no way,so I rang mechanic up and he ended up having to take the alt off (from underneath) inc mounting brackets-just over two hours later all was good and I was more than happy giving him 30 quid :Smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Hi Dave sorry to hear of your misfortune :Smile: You should have given me a shout I have a complete engine,gearbox with all the bits on ie turbo alternator pump etc etc, Although I have it for spares for my own (paid £300) van I would not see a fellow funster stuck.You could have had all the bits you needed and simply replaced them at your lesure as and when you dropped on them :thumb: or I could have got my mate to get them to replace --he gets almost anything to do with engines given enough time but rarely takes longer than a couple of weeks ---only 2 weeks ago I was offered another complete engine /gbox and rear diff for £400 but it was a non turbo - I asked on here if anyone was interested:Smile:
terry
edit only a few weeks back my alt went bust and I took one look and thought no way,so I rang mechanic up and he ended up having to take the alt off (from underneath) inc mounting brackets-just over two hours later all was good and I was more than happy giving him 30 quid :Smile:

Thanks Terry, truth is I don't actually mind too much, yes its a big and sudden outlay but over the four years we've been running Eclipse little else has needed work although I did replace all the discs and pads last year. But ets be fair here, we are talking about a 16 year old motorhome that used to be a minibus and has covered 175,000 KM so its probably about time some money was spent on it.

Also take into consideration that the parts I'm fitting now are brand new and guaranteed which you just don't get with used parts so overall I'm not actualy complaining, sometimes we just have to suck it up and get on with it::bigsmile:.

It does put some motorhomer's unexpected £400 odd bill for new brakes into perspective though, "in the trade" and labour charges free its still costing me the thick end of a grand to fix!

Such is life:winky:

D.

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
No JJ, the waterr pump is not driven by the cam belt on these engines and is not that big a job to replace on its own. There is no sign of water leakage from mine and no play in the bearings so it will stay put.

D.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks Terry, truth is I don't actually mind too much, yes its a big and sudden outlay but over the four years we've been running Eclipse little else has needed work although I did replace all the discs and pads last year. But ets be fair here, we are talking about a 16 year old motorhome that used to be a minibus and has covered 175,000 KM so its probably about time some money was spent on it.

Also take into consideration that the parts I'm fitting now are brand new and guaranteed which you just don't get with used parts so overall I'm not actualy complaining, sometimes we just have to suck it up and get on with it::bigsmile:.

It does put some motorhomer's unexpected £400 odd bill for new brakes into perspective though, "in the trade" and labour charges free its still costing me the thick end of a grand to fix!

Such is life:winky:

D.
That's the way to look at it. With everything in life there us a cost, so factor it in and don't overstretch oneself at the start and it can normally be coped with.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
::bigsmile: look onthe bright side Dave, last yr I bought 6 new wheels and tyres for the van for 320 quid:thumb: 2 weeks ago I had to get just 2 tyres for the pick up at 340 quid for the two :Eeek: as you say the parts are all new so should last a few yrs :winky:
Terry

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
It got worse before it got better, once the turbo was removed I discovered the exhaust downpipe flange was loose (swaged into the downpipe) and blowing exhaust gases into the engine bay, my solution was to weld the flange to the downpipe as it was all in good condition. To do this I had to remove the downpipe. Going under the van to disconnect it became obvious that the tailpipe fromsilencer back was rotten, it looked like dirty lace, then i discovered a small hole, about the size of a five pence piece, in the silencer so a new silencer and tailpie added to the shopping list. With the parts bill now standing in excess of a grand (and that's at trade levels:Eeek:) I can only say I'm glad I didn't have to pay for labour too. I spent about 8 hours on it but wasn't rushing particularly. Good news it is now all done, the engine warms up quicker with the new 'stat in place and the heater actually produces a bit of warm air now. Eclipse had always smoked a little on first start up and that seems to have gone, probably a bit of oil leakage in the turbo seals. It feels a bit livelier but that could just be my subconscious playing tricks on me, we all hole that this kind of bill brings some improvement.

D.

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Hi Dave, Excuse me butting in on your troubles to ask - is your engine a 2.8 or 2.5? and if it is a 2.5 is the performance and fuel consumption ok. The reason I ask is that I have the chance of a Iveco based motor but it's heavy and at 1993 quite old but in good condition. I also wondered if I could replace it with a 2.8 without any modifications. Cheers (y)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi you should get mid 20s and yes it is a straight replacement -may need exhaust etc but nothing major -- up to a 2001/2 engine -they altered them on that yr to 2.3 and electronics
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back