Horse power V's weight (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Hi -hope this question is not considered too stupid but as a total novice to MHs I think we need guidance on this question. What is considered the optimum horse power for a 3.5T motorhome to provide the best fuel economy. We see engines from 100 hp to 150 hp for this weight and haven't got a clue what is best
Look forward to kind advice
Ian

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
The best fuel economy comes by lifting your right foot a little off the accellerator, but I would personally be looking at the 130 to 150 bhp engines so that you aren't working them as hard.

Some people will say that 100 bhp is enough, but I like to be able to hold a higher gear without straining the engine or changing up and down gears to much.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
The best fuel economy comes by lifting your right foot a little off the accellerator, but I would personally be looking at the 130 to 150 bhp engines so that you aren't working them as hard.

Some people will say that 100 bhp is enough, but I like to be able to hold a higher gear without straining the engine or changing up and down gears to much.

Thanks for this advice -did immediately draw a positive response from SWMBO in terms of my right foot! We will not consider anything less than 130 bhp
Thanks again
Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
Mine is a 2.3 120BHP for 3.3T and I would say its more then enough,
But its also down to the number of gears and gear ratio, I can happily up and down dale in 6th

Upvote 0

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Fuel consumption is about much more than BHP/mass. My motorhome weighs in at just over 3 tonnes but could legally be up to 4.2, I also tow a 1000KGs trailer with it and the engine "only" has 103 BHP (well it did once upon a time, with 175,000 KM under its belts I suspect one or two horses may have escaped). Fuel consumption is acceptable and ranges from 22mpg fully loaded with trailer cruising at 60MPH up to 28mpg running solo at 56 mph cruising speed.

Load, speed, wind resistance, weather conditions and the type of roads you are travelling on will all afect fel consumption much more than how many horses you have to pull it along.

D.

Upvote 0

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Ours has the 130ps engine and I was surprised how powerful that was in 3+ tonnes of metal and stuff.

But the best way to achieve economy is to resist the traffic light grand prix. An engine like that will accelerate quite remarkably quickly but that is what drinks the fuel.

Allow those that wish to race away and take your time. Choose your cruising speed carefully. These things don't exactly slip through air. The difference in arrival time if you travel at 70mph as opposed to a more comfortable (and much quieter) 55mph is quite negligible in most circumstances, but the difference in fuel consumption is well worth it.

Steve

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
The right foot will have the biggest effect whatever size your engine but I would say go for the higher BHP, it will be a more relaxed drive as well as needing less right foot, so overall it will return better MPG.

I wont bore some with facts but my camper was 174 BHP 2.5 diesel and it weighed in at around 3.5T with a top speed of 112mph yet I could maintain over 40 mpg at motorway speeds.

Obviously a shoe box motorhome wont achieve these figures but it makes a case for the higher the BHP the better. I would only consider a larger 3ltr engine if you are driving something way over 3.5T but who would want one of those to go camping in.:Smile:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I would only consider a larger 3ltr engine if you are driving something way over 3.5T[HI] but who would want one of those to go camping in[/HI].:Smile:
I can't name them all, but there are thousands of us. :roflmto:

Cheers,

Jock. :winky:

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Was it because you were missing the fire engine.:winky:
:roflmto: What, the ones that got washed twice a day (shift change) and polished to death every week?
Yes, I missed the "occupational therapy". That's why our 13 year old MH gleams most of the time. :roflmto:

Cheers for now,

Jock.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Fuel consumption is about much more than BHP/mass. My motorhome weighs in at just over 3 tonnes but could legally be up to 4.2, I also tow a 1000KGs trailer with it and the engine "only" has 103 BHP (well it did once upon a time, with 175,000 KM under its belts I suspect one or two horses may have escaped). Fuel consumption is acceptable and ranges from 22mpg fully loaded with trailer cruising at 60MPH up to 28mpg running solo at 56 mph cruising speed.

Load, speed, wind resistance, weather conditions and the type of roads you are travelling on will all afect fel consumption much more than how many horses you have to pull it along.

D.

While I appreciate your helpful comments I've got to start somewhere with hard accepted facts to assist us select our preferred MH. The variables you mention,load,speed,wind resistance,weather and road conditions certainly will influence mpg . Thanks again
Ian

Upvote 0

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Still only a year after many years camping
We've just had ours remapped by Quantum (there's a franchise in Kenilworth) and it's made a huge difference - it's taken the power up from 84bhp to 110bhp and it sure feels like it! Only time will tell what effect it's had on fuel consumption, but it's probably helped that too (especially as we'll be towing a bike trailer) as it certainly feels more up to the job. Of course I'll have to be a little more careful with the right foot!:thumb:

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001

Frontal area and air flow over the vehicle is probably more important at higher speeds than is the weight.

I believe that the air drag is related to the somewhere between the square of the speed and the cube of the speed.

I had a Renault Master LWB campervan with a maximum weight of 3500kg, auto gearbox and the 120 engine - it preformed very well and returned between 29 and 30 mpg.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

flashkim

Free Member
Oct 28, 2012
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Relay L2H2
Exp
Few years now
Mine is a brick shape 3.5 ton 175BHP and using cruise at 60 staying in 6th as much as possible over 28mpg returned .....You are in charge of the go peddle :Smile:

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I have the 130 hp engine and find that it does the job. Plenty of power on tap when you need it but if you feather foot the throttle it can return superb mileage. Last week on a 150 mile run it returned 33.6 mpg on the computer and when I eventually filled up it gave 30.75 mpg on a tankful. As above though, motorhomes are not aerodynamic, I find that a headwind can knock the consumption right back, down to 28 mpg or even less.

Rgds
Bill

Upvote 0
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
No-one has mentioned "Torque" this is the magic ingredient that modern diesels have in plenty and makes a paltry 2.2/2.3 or whatever pull like a train and resulting in great all round driving, acceleration, towing etc. Test drive a few examples its not about 0 - 60 times forget all that you just need to be able gently accelerate, cruise easily and not to much gear-changing on gradients/hills and not forgetting mpg as said a light foot is needed our hobby is not about being in a rush or hurry (normally:Smile:).

I have just changed from a euro 4 2.3 130 bhp MH at 3.500 kg to a new euro 5 2.3 with optional upgrade to 150 bhp on a 4.250 kg and its money well spent this MH is far more sprightly despite being heavier, much less gear changing and better mpg and its still not run in yet with only 1k on the clock.

Are you considering used or new?

Best wishes in your search:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
in my opinion you can never have too many horses.

but as already said by Stewart, torque is more important for smooth and powerful pulling.

I dont have to worry unduly with 310 horses and 425 torques :thumb:

Upvote 0

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
BHP

Hi

These are my thoughts based on experience.

We had a Compass motorhome. The standard engine was the 2.0 Peugeot, but we got the 2.2 just because it was the one in stock at the time. I have only experience of the 2.2 but the chap who bought if from me said it was better than the 2.0 that he had driven.

The 2008 Kontiki was a 3.0 157 bhp. The next model was a 3.0 with 180 bhp - and the latter was better to drive, more powerful, held 6th gear better on long motorway hills and was more economical.

Russell

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi -hope this question is not considered too stupid but as a total novice to MHs I think we need guidance on this question. What is considered the optimum horse power for a 3.5T motorhome to provide the best fuel economy. We see engines from 100 hp to 150 hp for this weight and haven't got a clue what is best
Look forward to kind advice
Ian

If it's any help, we have a small Swift Sundance with a 1.9 turbo diesel (89bhp maybe - when new). It's not enough. :roflmto:

Tim

Upvote 0

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Another thing worth considering, when deciding on an engine, is how the timing etc is driven. The 2.2 ltr turbodiesel X/250 model engine has a chain drive, whereas the 2.3 comes with all the vagaries of rubber band.

As for performance, look for high BHP for fast cruising speeds, combined with lots of gears, to keep the engine revs down (ie the horses quiet). Diesel engines have plenty of torque, as has been said, so acceleration shouldn't be an issue with a modern unit.

Good luck in your search.
Ed

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Another thing worth considering, when deciding on an engine, is how the timing etc is driven. The 2.2 ltr turbodiesel X/250 model engine has a chain drive, whereas the 2.3 comes with all the vagaries of rubber band.

Ed

Last night we were at my daughters to celebrate her birthday and her next door neighbours car was parked out on the road, which is most unusual. As I tried to park so as not to block him in he came out and said park over the end of the drive, cos his car wasn't going anywhere. The RAC had just dropped it of after collecting it from the roadside after the timing belt had snapped and wrecked his engine. :Sad:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back