Ferry crossing (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hi

Going to france for the first time, but not very good on boats :Sad:.

Looking at costs, ferry is half cost of tunnel, but ferry journey is 2.5 hours, train 40mins!!.

Does it take 2.5 hours on ferry, seems a long time for the distance??.Do the ferry companies
list the journery time loosley or does it actually take 2.5 hours?

Karl

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Do you have a Tesco Clubcard? If so you can exchange points for Eurotunnel tickets, we do and pay very little or nothing towards the cost. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Perhaps the ferry times you quote allow for the hour you lose when you travel to France - they are an hour ahead of us.

You get that hour back on the way home though:thumb:

OP
OP
C
Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
i never thought of the extra hour so 90 minutes, how long is the journey on the open sea

not counting , getting out of dover or into calais?

karl

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
i never thought of the extra hour so 90 minutes, how long is the journey on the open sea

not counting , getting out of dover or into calais?

karl
Hi Karl.

It's what Callum said.

callumwa said:
Dover Calais normally takes an average of 90 minutes.
Dover Dunkirk just under 2 hours.
These are actual sailing times. The Dunkerque crossing is often the cheapest, ie, £48 - £54 return, depending who you book through.

Treat it as part of the holiday experience, and have a great time. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you look at the timetable you actually come back in half an hour :Smile: but yes it is about 1 and half hours just sit in the lounge and face forward and you will be fine, if it is a bit rough I always find I am fine till I go into duty free and see the bottles moving so I keep out. Have a good trip and don't think about it you will be fine.

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
Get yourself some crystallised ginger sweets from a health food shop and suck on them if you feel queasy. Works for me.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
drink cocacola . that can help as well.

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
The ferry is cheaper just takes a little longer. The tunnel is fast, but twice the price. If your very nervous about the boat then take the tunnel as its easy and will be stress free ( and you are on holiday after all) However if you think you can manage the boat happily then its cheaper. There lots more to do on the boat to distract you. Your sat in the van on the tunnel.

I prefer the tunnel myself as its just so easy and quick but depends on what you want to pay.

have a good holiday whatever you decide ::bigsmile:

Steve

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
If you look at the timetable you actually come back in half an hour :Smile: but yes it is about 1 and half hours just sit in the lounge and face forward and you will be fine, if it is a bit rough I always find I am fine till I go into duty free and see the bottles moving so I keep out. Have a good trip and don't think about it you will be fine.

I usually find that things appear to be moving after they have been emptied and I don't need a boat for that !!! :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back