creaking noise from wind out awning (1 Viewer)

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
I have a fiamma wind out awning and i find it is quite noisy (creaking and squeaking) when erected. Not so noiceable in the day time but very annoying at night :Angry: Is this normal? I have small window on overcab and have observed the awning from there but cannot see any movement occuring. Anyone else have this problem. Also the legs do not seem to be staying at selected height even though screwed up really tight.:Sad:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Have a word with Darren or Matt on 01-580-883062, some noise is unavoidable when there is a wind on a fabric, legs not staying up might need some new bits

Peter

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
They are a pain in the bum at night. Naturally we hear every tiny noise and the awning connected direct to the body makes quite a few, especially flapping.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
Mine sounds like a medieval torture device when I wind it in or out.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I never leave mine out at night. Experience has taught me that its not good to wake up at 2 am franitcally winding it in because the wind unexpectadly picked up. Ive seen too many go over the top in my experience.

However, I have fitted brackets to the side of my van and when the awning is attached now, it's much more stable and the dog doesn't trip it up.

Noise from winding out? mine always has on every van, im on my third so it must be normal.... But hey "whats Normal" :Cool:

Legs going down, had this problem also, will have a look for you when we meet up next? :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I [HI]never leave mine out at night[/HI]. Experience has taught me that its not good to wake up at 2 am franitcally winding it in because the wind unexpectadly picked up. Ive seen too many go over the top in my experience.

would agree with that Paul..

.. also seen plenty that had been left out 'over the top', and they can cause a lot of body damage .. take heed, never leave unattended. ..a fool and his awning are soon parted !

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Mine is exactly the same, no matter how much silicone lubricant I use!

I was advised to use silicone, and it didn't seem to make much difference at first, but thinking about it I used it last weekend and it was fine. I think mine tends to be worse in colder conditions.

Still creaks a bit when it's windy though.

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
I have a fiamma awning and was thinking about one of them tye down Straps that go over the top are they any good and would you leave it unattended with it on a bit worried about leaving my awning out :whatthe:

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
From bitter experience don't get one to go over the top of the fabric....we had one when we had a caravan awning, middle of the night the wind started the strap vibrating against the awning material....not a nice job in your jock's shoving anything and everything in the way of sponges and rolled up towels to stop the drumming. Get the type that clip to the front rail, they do work, but as said before, any hint of a strong breeze upwards, I wind ours in.

OP
OP
Lucky one
Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
You will laugh at this. I used the tie down kit and during the night the legs gave way lowering the canopy and i couldnt open the b....dy door in the morning:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: i had to force the door past the roof struts to get out :Doh: So if you are going to use one make sure the legs are working properly. :whatthe: Depends where the door is situated of course.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i use a tie down as the slightest gust can lift them. i only leave out overnight if we have the wind blockers fitted and its as close as certain to a dead cert that its going to be flat calm all night. other than that its put away when unattended. its cheaper in the long run.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
From bitter experience don't get one to go over the top of the fabric....we had one when we had a caravan awning, middle of the night the wind started the strap vibrating against the awning material....not a nice job in your jock's shoving anything and everything in t[HI]he way of sponges and rolled up towels to stop the drumming.[/HI] Get the type that clip to the front rail, they do work, but as said before, any hint of a strong breeze upwards, I wind ours in.

clothes pegs ( large ones ) work they dirupt the airflow that causes the frequency vibration.:Eeek: clip then on the strops

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have a fiamma awning and was thinking about one of them tye down Straps that go over the top are they any good and would you leave it unattended with it on a bit worried about leaving my awning out :whatthe:

You should have seen us at Silverstone last year. Awning out, big strap over the arms - I don't put it over the cloth in case it rubs through it.

We heard the wind getting up, quite suddenly and by the time I said "I'm not happy about this" the van was shaking. We jumped out just as the fine mesh wind break collapsed, the top pole bent, we grabbed an arm each and hung on. Wind changed to wind and rain and there was nothing we could do be stop the awing flying away. Five minutes, feeling like five hours, it stopped. No damage was done other than the cheap aluminium pole. So we put it away. We were frozen and drenched.

So not matter what you do, it's one big sail and if the wind gets under it you are in deep poo. If we'd walked to the toilets about that time we would have had no awning and probably a damaged van.

One meet Geo had his RV awning out. Nice day. Awning built like a brick toilet. But a gust of wind caught it, ripped the stays off the side and threw the awning on the roof. Again, out of the blue.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I lost my awning in a sudden gust, even with two tie downs. Always wind it in at night now and if it looks as though it might be windy. Replacement was £850 so don't want to do it too often.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
You will laugh at this. I used the tie down kit and during the night the legs gave way lowering the canopy and i couldnt open the b....dy door in the morning:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: i had to force the door past the roof struts to get out :Doh: So if you are going to use one make sure the legs are working properly. :whatthe: Depends where the door is situated of course.

could ave got out of the cab door me thinks, but its easy with a degree in hind sight and time to think:thumb:

OP
OP
Lucky one
Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
could ave got out of the cab door me thinks, but its easy with a degree in hind sight and time to think:thumb:
Other half was in rush to get out...........dog too :winky: and i always chuck loads of stuff in the cab area overnight so no chance of quick exit.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

before using an 'over the top' tiedown strap have a look at your awning legs.

at the top is a knuckle joint between the front rail and the leg.

if it plastic DONT use a strap....it will break the plastic knuckle joint.

if its aluminium then it may be ok.

I use the type which slide into the awning rail groove at each end so all the force is on the rail.

Link Removed

also, DONT throw a strap over the fabric...if the wind gets up the fabric will take all the force and will tear where it joins the front rail.

happypre65

Free Member
Nov 12, 2010
Funster No
creaking noise from wind out awning

Hi, The noise is possibly that it is moving on the bolts that hold it on the body,take of the plastic covers inside and tou will find nuts and washers that hold it to the body,if you can fit a bigger washer it helps but it is normally loose nuts allowing the movement and cause a noise,and we keep our awning out and always have but we do use tie downs on each end but the main thing is the peg in the ground has to be a long metal peg,and banged in the ground,plastic pegs are no good as they are weak .regards H:Smile:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

Attachments

• Fiamma_awning_strap_.jpg
    Fiamma_awning_strap_.jpg