Free Member
Oct 21, 2012
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Auto trail Cheyenne 684
Exp
New at this
We have a T reg Auto-Trail Cheyenne and I am puzzled as to why my leisure batteries are not being charged at 14.5 volts or thereabouts. I have replaced all the relays, checked that the batteries are correctly earthed. Hence scratching my head. Needless to say the vehicle battery is getting the full charge. Can anybody give me an idea what is wrong? :cry:

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
charging

Hello, dont know too much,:Smile: but I have a cheyenne and over the hab door is a console you have the choice of charging hab batteries or engine battery by pushing button is yours the same ?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I assume your leisure battery is being charged, but at a reduced voltage?

That will be a volt drop caused by the inadequate thin cabling fitted by many manufacturers.

Electrical cables resist current flow to a greater or lesser extent, depending on cross-sectioal area and length of the cable. A thin cable running the length of a van will cause a massive drop of voltage at the leisure battery at the back of the van.

If you want to achieve a fully charged leisure battery from running the engine, you need to drastically increase the size of wiring to it and/or move the battery closer to the front of the van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Do I assume you have more than one leisure? If so, then the cable as Jon says, may not be suitable. It may be that it is suitable to carry the charge for one battery, but not two - especially if they are charging at the same time and not switched.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Do I assume you have more than one leisure? If so, then the cable as Jon says, may not be suitable. It may be that it is suitable to carry the charge for one battery, but not two - especially if they are charging at the same time and not switched.
if the cable cross sectional size is adequate to charge one battery, it will also charge two or more.

the amperage will be the same regardless of number of batteries being charged.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it would appear (correct me if i'm wrong) the op is referring to the alternator not charging the leisure battery when driving.

once the engine battery is fully charged (most of the time) the alternator reduces current output so the leisure battery will only be getting a small trickle charge.

split charge is to maintain a fully charged leisure battery....not charge a flat one.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
it would appear (correct me if i'm wrong) the op is referring to the alternator not charging the leisure battery when driving.

once the engine battery is fully charged (most of the time) the alternator reduces current output so the leisure battery will only be getting a small trickle charge.

split charge is to maintain a fully charged leisure battery....not charge a flat one.

Um, the OP quoted 14.5V which he's presumably measured at the leisure battery. (Of course, that is only a presumption but what else would you measure that's relevant?). This would indicate that the wiring is reasonably adequate and that the relay is working.

Surely the likeliest answer is a knackered battery? From reading the other battery threads it would seem that not all leisure batteries are created equal and it may be that the OPs batteries have done too much deep cycling for their construction.

Simple answer is to put the leisure batteries on a trickle charger and then get them tested at a garage with a proper battery tester.

Tim

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Can anybody give me an idea what is wrong? :cry:

There is a bit of confusion here - are you meaning charge from the engine or charge from a mains charger ?

14.5V is tops.

13.5 is more like a continuous voltage on charge.

12.6 is fully charged when not charging.

12V is effectively flat.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Um, the OP quoted 14.5V which he's presumably measured at the leisure battery. (Of course, that is only a presumption but what else would you measure that's relevant?). This would indicate that the wiring is reasonably adequate and that the relay is working.

Surely the likeliest answer is a knackered battery? From reading the other battery threads it would seem that not all leisure batteries are created equal and it may be that the OPs batteries have done too much deep cycling for their construction.

Simple answer is to put the leisure batteries on a trickle charger and then get them tested at a garage with a proper battery tester.

Tim
I beg to differ Tim.....

quote.....why my leisure batteries are not being charged at 14.5 volts

which points to the engine battery being checked (14.5v) while running then the leisure battery being checked and showing a lower voltage.

onboard charger is unlikely to charge at 14.5v....13,6v being nearer the mark.

Last edited:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I thought that the current regulationss limited the voltage of the charging current and of the 12V power supply to about 13.5V so as to protect 12V equipment plugged into the van's 12v supply.

This is why so many owners fit a good quality multistage charger to overcome this problem.

My van's fitted charging system overcomes the problem by disconnecting the 12V power circuit when charging at higher voltages.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I thought that the current regulationss limited the voltage of the charging current and of the 12V power supply to about 13.5V so as to protect 12V equipment plugged into the van's 12v supply.

This is why so many owners fit a good quality multistage charger to overcome this problem.

My van's fitted charging system overcomes the problem by disconnecting the 12V power circuit when charging at higher voltages.

That sounds like dealer bull***t!::bigsmile:

The reason your 12v electrics in the back of your van switch off is because it is an ill-conceived National Caravan Council design requirement. The only place you find this feature is on British-built vans.

A typical alternator charges at around 14.2-14.5 Volts. That is an automotive standard adopted by vehicle manufacturers worldwide. That voltage provides adequate charging but does not gas a battery excessively to avoid problems with sealed batteries.

I hope this clears things up!:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

The reason your 12v electrics in the back of your van switch off is because it is an ill-conceived National Caravan Council design requirement. The only place you find this feature is on British-built vans.

A typical alternator charges at around 14.2-14.5 Volts. That is an automotive standard adopted by vehicle manufacturers worldwide. That voltage provides adequate charging but does not gas a battery excessively to avoid problems with sealed batteries.

certainly does Jon, and i fully agree.

my Chrysler charges at 14.8v constantly and has been as high as 15v.
this is the norm for the cars 'smart' charging system.

everything still works....bulbs, 7" lcd screen radio/satnav, ECU, PDC etc.

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I beg to differ Tim.....

quote.....why my leisure batteries are not being charged at 14.5 volts

which points to the engine battery being checked (14.5v) while running then the leisure battery being checked and showing a lower voltage.

onboard charger is unlikely to charge at 14.5v....13,6v being nearer the mark.

I think we need the OP to clarify. He could have connected a charger direct to the battery for all we know. I still reckon it's a knackered battery though. ;-)

Tim

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
There is certainly confusion! From what I understood, I was thinking he had two or more leisures - but it can also be read that he is referring to the engine and leisure - which is a different thing altogether. If there are two leisures, then for fast charging you need them switched, otherwise they will be charged as one battery which will take a while longer to reach capacity.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If there are two leisures, then for fast charging you need them switched, otherwise they will be charged as one battery which will take a while longer to reach capacity.

Another way of looking at it is that it is exactly the same charge rate. In other words, you dump 16A for an hour into 100Ah battery or 16A into 200Ah battery and in both cases you add 16Ah of charge. The energy stored is identical even of the state of charge is lower on paired batteries.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001

Your comments sound like bullshit to me. Please do some research before writing poosts in future.

Most chargers in modern van limit the voltage to protect 12V equipment using the vans 12V whilst on charge.

I hope this is not too difficult for you to understand.

By the way what has the maximum alternator voltage got to do with the regulated output from the van's power management sytem!!!!!!! Absolutely nothing.

I hope this clears things up!

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Your comments sound like bullshit to me. Please do some research before writing poosts in future.

Now it's getting personal, the original wasn't.

Most chargers in modern van limit the voltage to protect 12V equipment using the vans 12V whilst on charge.

Impossible. A lead acid battery can be charged only one way which peaks out at 14.5V BUT any equipment designed for 12V automotive should be protected from possible 800V spikes as the engine starts as well as continuous 14.5V.

Personal again, Jim will be having words.

By the way what has the maximum alternator voltage got to do with the regulated output from the van's power management sytem!!!!!!! Absolutely nothing.

Most MHs when driving connect the leisure and starter batteries together so your leisure battery the same 14.5V. Normally termed the split charge relay.

Not at all, you seem to be at odds with everything I've ever seen in van electrics and what others are saying.

See red.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006

You are entitled to your opinion as is everyone on here. I only expressed mine based on many years of training and experience of automotive electrical systems.
I feel your reply is a little bit harsh given that I put a smiley after my comment about dealer bull, thus making it a point of good humour, nothing else.
Anyway, I must rush out to my van to put in some voltage-limiting resistors, remove the Sterling charger and see about removing the on-board charger (which bulk charges at 14.4V incidentally) in case everything goes up in smoke!::bigsmile:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
[HI]That sounds like dealer bull***t!::bigsmile:[/HI]

i didnt think the comment i have highlighted was directed at Oldun as a personal slight but more a comment that, thats what some dealers might fob you off with.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
[HI]Your comments sound like bullshit to me. Please do some research before writing poosts in future.
[/HI]

Ho Oldun, here is some research you should do before posting:Smile: Link Removed

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001

The regulated output from the PSU, when on ehu, on my previous motorhome was always under 14V. To get the battery fully charged I had to fit a multistage CTech charger. There was a significant brightening of the incandescent bulbs when switching form the van's charger to the CTech charger. If the van's psu is such a good charger why do so may people fit other chargers?

When I asked the question what has the "14.5V got to do with the regulated output of the PSU" I was referring (perhaps not too clearly) about the regulated output when on ehu. So the 14.5V has no relevance to the regulated output of the psu when on ehu.

On my current MH I have a EC325 psu and this is claimed to be a multistage charger utilising higher voltages. It also states that when charging at the higher voltages the battery is disconnected from the van's 12V power line so as too avaid damage to any electrical equipment that may be in use at that time.

You say the original post was not personal - it was to me. All I did was to reply in exactly the same tone as in the original post. He said I was bullshitting and I said he was.

Childish and ill mannered I accept and for that I happily apologise to Juim and all other members but not to the person who abused me.

I am happy to abide by the terms of the forum but I expect others to do so. Why is it wrong for me to use EXACTLY the same language as others have used. This is the part I find confusing.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i disagree that the alternator will reduce output once the vehicle battery is charged the alternator regulater will only cut back when all the batteries are charged its not smart enough to know where the charge is going only when there is or isnt a demand

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Well I'm more confused now.................................:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back