Potential purchaser looking to hire motorhome in north west (1 Viewer)

Skyy21

Free Member
May 8, 2013
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Looking to Hire
Exp
Hi, not sure if this is the best place to start but my friend and I are mature women looking to buy our own Motorhome. To test what we want from a Motorhome we are looking for someone local to the North West willing to hire us their Motorhome for a week or so, plus maybe a few weekends in the summer. Anyone interested in making this arrangement or have any ideas where I should look?

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
Hi, not sure if this is the best place to start but my friend and I are mature women looking to buy our own Motorhome. To test what we want from a Motorhome we are looking for someone local to the North West willing to hire us their Motorhome for a week or so, plus maybe a few weekends in the summer. Anyone interested in making this arrangement or have any ideas where I should look?

Spinney motorhomes at Holmes Chapel have started hiring at least one motorhome - saw it on my last visit:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
There's a hire company in Stafford.

And there is one in Chester,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.

Hello welcome to the site.::bigsmile:
You are doing the right thing hiring to try out before you buy.

A quick look on google Motorhome Hire Manchester and these few were the first of many.
Broken Link Removed
http://www.discover.co.uk/locations-we-cover/manchester
http://www.freedhome.co.uk/
http://www.livethedreammotorhomehire.co.uk/
hope this helps , i doubt many people on here would hire out their own motorhome , if thats what you were maybe thinking.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Anyone interested in making this arrangement or have any ideas where I should look?

You are unlikely to get the use of a private one for two reasons, insurance and it is our Home, with a motor. It's personal. It's quite easy to damage one.

First job is narrow down the search by sitting in as many MHs as you can at dealers or shows, take a camera, take a lot of pictures. Imagine it's pouring down and you are stuck inside all day, that is just about the hardest test of a MH.

Look at the calendar on the home page LHS for shows, best place to see masses of MHs. There is the Knutsford show coming up soon.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Many dealers that hire will operate a try before you buy scheme. They charge you for hire, but discount this off the price of the one you buy should you buy from them - not a bad idea - but don't forget to knock them down far more than the hire cost!::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
You are unlikely to get the use of a private one for two reasons, insurance and it is our Home, with a motor. It's personal. It's quite easy to damage one.

First job is narrow down the search by sitting in as many MHs as you can at dealers or shows, take a camera, take a lot of pictures. Imagine it's pouring down and you are stuck inside all day, that is just about the hardest test of a MH.

Look at the calendar on the home page LHS for shows, best place to see masses of MHs. There is the Knutsford show coming up soon.

I agree with Brian and think you'd be very lucky to find someone who'll hand over their home for you to use and like Brian said, there's an insurance cost that's quite high to simply let someone use our pride and joys :cry:

Hire one and give it a go and that way you'll be fully insured and also covered for liability in case of damage etc, also if something were to break or fail, with a hire home, they'll come out to sort it for you and can you imagine how you'd feel if you were to borrow one and then had a slight mishap, you'd never forgive yourself in letting the owner down :Doh:

I spend a long long time searching for what I wanted. I spent hours on the Internet, on sites such as Autotrader and eBay as they both have a huge selection of homes for sale, both new and secondhand, and you can view them all. I also went to the NEC show 2 years in a row and sat in every single home to see what I wanted :thumb:

My conclusion was this. I wanted a fixed bed in the rear as I met lots of people who had started out with a rear lounge and were then chopping them in for a fixed bed and decided I would opt for the fixed bed straight away, a move I haven't regretted for one second. I also wanted another double over the cab. I wanted a separate shower that worked with good sized fresh and grey water tanks. I wanted a separate toilet and I wanted a solar panel. I also wanted 2 long sofas that also converted to a bed. It had to have a reverse camera, a microwave, a decent kitchen that had a sink AND a draining board and a decent oven, hob and grill. I wanted the external BBQ and shower points and an awning. I also wanted alloy wheels and a tow bar. All a big ask, but that's what I wanted and that's what I found. Get yourself to a show, it's really the only way you'll find what you need and then you can decide if you want a new one or look for a secondhand one, which is what I did and was very happy with the money I spent ::bigsmile:

I haven't regretted any of it and love that I now own a motorhome and can't describe how much fun they are to own. They're not cheap as there's maint costs, insurance etc and then the money to keep it in good working order, but all in all, it's worth every penny :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Good luck and let us all know how you get on, oh and welcome to the madhouse :Smile::Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back