Can Microsoft fix its broken Windows? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've only ever tried W8 on my friend's laptop and am I glad I never opted for it when I bought my desk top last Nov. .. I found it difficult and cumbersome to use.. glad to see I wasn't alone..

Microsoft has announced it will launch an update to the latest version of its Windows operating system - Windows 8 - because of complaints about how difficult the software is to use.
The mover, seen by many as a U-turn, is part of a software package that has been given the codename, 'Blue'.
However, the update won't be released to consumers and businesses until later this year.

More from The Mail

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We bought a new laptop for our son , it is on windows 8 and is terrible to use , a poor attempt to emulate an apps type OS.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
I've only ever tried W8 on my friend's laptop and am I glad I never opted for it when I bought my desk top last Nov. .. I found it difficult and cumbersome to use.. glad to see I wasn't alone..

More from The Mail

When it comes to computers early adopters often pay a price. Best wait a year or more before buying the latest "HokeyKokey 5000" and let it get settled , sorted and into MK II.

barry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Windows 7 is excellent, I cannot imagine anyone wanting to update to 8 from it. Most sales of 8 are from new installs, where the purchaser of a new PC are stuck with what is essentially a poor phone operating system pretending to be a computer OS:Doh:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I am stuck with 8 albeit with a touch screen, which makes little difference to win8 itself as the Microsoft tile candy is just about useless.....nothing is intuitive about win 8 and nothing is where it should be to make operating it easier. I am getting a little more familiar with it but it's hard work & it should'nt be..... its cumbersome to operate.
#
'Microsoft hasn't said whether it will charge existing Windows 8 users to get the update, or when it will be available, although it is expected around October. '

well know microshaft it will try and charge......

Last edited:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Like Jim I tried on my grandson's laptop at Christmas and AWFUL is the only word I can use to describe it. Change for change sake just to attempt to keep up with the smart phone market. :shout:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Tried using my nephews new Xmas laptop present with Win8 installed

Thought it was sh!te..................

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Had a play with it a couple of months ago and thought it to be an unusable pile of you know what.

Glad I moved to Linux where I have a choice of many many desktops any of which is fully configurable to how you want it.

Unfortunately saying that I haven't got round to dual booting this laptop yet so back on windows 7 and I am a bit disgruntled...

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I had a laptop running Windows 7 64 bit, which was OK, and a netbook (for the van) running Windows 7 32 bit, which I found to be a bit slow.

Just after Christmas Currys/PC World had a good deal on the HP laptop I'm using now, which has Windows 8 installed (no touch screen). I don't use the tiled Apps very much but otherwise I was most impressed with both machine and OS - so much so that I bought an Asus Vivobook for the van which has Windows 8 and a touch screen.

I'm no great lover of Microsoft but I'm perfectly happy with the OS on the two machines that I use.

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
You can bypass the tiles at start up and run in classic mode to make it more like windows 7. See Broken Link Removed :thumb:

Whilst on the subject I am looking to purchase windows 7 (currently using on a 30 day trail) Microsoft site just seems to push W8. Anyone know where I can purchase a legit license? :Smile:

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
You can bypass the tiles at start up and run in classic mode to make it more like windows 7. See Broken Link Removed :thumb:

Whilst on the subject I am looking to purchase windows 7 (currently using on a 30 day trail) Microsoft site just seems to push W8. Anyone know where I can purchase a legit license? :Smile:

I buy the OEM Win7 Pro 64 bit from Dabs for about £65. I prefer to get it from a large authorised distributor as I have been caught out in the past with dodgy copies sold cheap.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp

Very helpful...thanks. A whole new software industry to make win 8 function like 7 - what does that tell you microsoft ??:Eeek:

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Shouldn't that be move down to Vista? ::bigsmile: I had a laptop running Vista which I upgraded to XP ::bigsmile:

Vista support goes on until 11.4.17!!:Doh: I am pretty sure Vista was after XP - I think you upgraded the wrong way :ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Microshaft will stop supporting XP on 8.4.14 so you will have to move up to Vista :ROFLMAO:

Not bothered, auto updates are OFF anyway.

I've got Vista on a laptop, it's never given me any bother.

Most of the time it's the users bothering windows not windows bothering the user, if you get my drift.

Until 8 that is. Anyone with a pair of functioning brain cells could work out that what suits a touch screen hand held device isn't going to work on the desktop. And a desktop touch screen is totally daft for general purpose computing. Your hand will be spending more time travelling than useful work.

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Still only a year after many years camping
We bought a laptop for Liz with Windows 8, and like the majority of others find it absolutely rubbish. I consider myself reasonably computer literate, or at least I did until I tried Windows 8 - I couldn't figure it out at all and absolutely hate hate hate it! (I have always helped Liz up to now)

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
Shouldn't that be move down to Vista? ::bigsmile: I had a laptop running Vista which I upgraded to XP ::bigsmile:

Wise move - dont touch Vista...bit like that other dog they released "milennium" why they try to completely change things is beyond me, they have a history of backtracking and dumping crappy OS they develop...

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Agree with Hilldweller. We have three laptops and a desktop all happily running on XP without any problem at all.
Gwen had a laptop on Vista which I hated. Recently deceased and currently for sale for spares and repairs on eBay at the moment (the laptop that is, not Gwen).
Also had a netbook running Win7 which was OK but because it had an Atom processor it wasn't the fastest piece of kit I've ever had. And Win7 seems to need at least twice as much memory as XP. Netbook also for sale on eBay at the moment.
Also selling some guitars and amps so I can get one them iPad thingies.
When the XP PCs stop working I'll sell them all for scrap and go to iPads or Android tablets.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Vista and 2000 were pants. :cry:

XP is brilliant and very stable and we're still using it now on the PC (which hubby mainly uses). I've got 7 on my laptops due to the fact that when I was at work that's what we used so I had to get to grips with it. The search function on XP is better than 7 though but I like the facility to view thumbnails/pictures in my folders in different sizes rather than just the bog standard tincy-wincy one with XP, now if I could pick the 'best bits' from both systems I'd be a happy bunny! :RollEyes:

As for Windows 8 ... :shout::shout::shout::shout::shout::shout::shout: ... why oh why did they think that having a system which utilises a touch screen to get the 'best' (allegedly) out of it is a good idea for those without touch screens!!!! :Eeek: Perhaps they ought to live in the real world where not everyone has the latest technology. :thumb:

reader

Free Member
Apr 27, 2011
IO83rk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
For those of you with Windows 8 who dont like the interface etc download "Classic Shell"

When you are installing it will ask what interface you want ie XP / Win 7 etc

This free software will put the start button and menu back on your screen, just as it was but with a faster operating system.

I didnt think anything would better Windows 7 but now with Classic Shell I quite like the faster speed of Windows 8.

I am comparing 2 similar drives in the same PC so its as like for like as you could wish.
There is also a slight Win 8 advantage over another drive in same pc with Ubuntu on but to be fair there is more stuff on the Ubuntu drive

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
For those of you with Windows 8 who dont like the interface etc download "Classic Shell"

thank you I found the start menu again after running this ....windows is useable........WTF is Micro$oft thinking

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
..WTF is Micro$oft thinking

All they ever think about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

It's terrible how often they get it wrong, terrible for us, they always come out floating in $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

But remember the good things, someone just said "CPM" and I remember the days of half a dozen floppy disk formats all running CPM. All mutually incompatible. Single sided, double sided, double density, quad density. Those were nightmare days. Then along came MS DOS. It might not have been better but for once there was a standard.

I've still got a DOS machine here and a few still doing good work in factories. When you see a modern DOS machine boot it it brings tears to the eyes, a couple of seconds and it's up and running and so fast it's awesome.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back