Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
One of my wing mirrors metal fixture ( swing arm) is very loose . Is there any way to tighten it so it will stay in position?

Thanks Shirl

Attachments

• hymer mirror.jpg
    hymer mirror.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 79
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Looks like mine which is tightened up with an allen key. May be a cover over the bolt which needs to be prised of.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Same as mine, prise cover off back of wing mirror to reveal clamp bolts and tighten with an allan key. Be care how you take off the back covers they cannot be replaced if damaged.

Norman

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
con-tiki

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
Thanks folks. I found the bit under the bottom of the arm....Looks a bit mashed !

Shirl

Attachments

• hymer 2.jpg
    hymer 2.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 65

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
as said, replace the bolt. best done by removing the mirror from the van first. then strip it down and refurbish it on a workbench, where you can use a vice to hold it firmly in place.

you're clearly not the first owner to have the problem and whoever "fixed" it before clearly didnt understand how it works so bodged it. fix it properly it will last for years. it will also give you the oportunity to repaint it without risking overspray on the van

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
How easy it it to get the mashed bolt out?.

Shiel

Looking at the state of it.............not very.

Not a lot of space to get a chisel in there. Get some Plus Gas, spray it up in there to loosen the bolt, and hope. You might be able to get a slightly larger allen socket to wedge in there, but......... t a k e y o u r t i m e

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
I had a similar problem last year on our B584. The whole mirror and arm assembly had become loose from the body of the van and needed the bolts tightening on the bracket that is located on the van side. The mirror assembly is kept on a tapering dovetail fitting. I tried freeing oil, etc and 'gently' knocking it but wouldn't budge, seized.
Finally took it to my friendly mechanic who prised it off using a screw jig which allowed the assemble to be pushed up without damaging and hammering the whole lot. Cost was £15 - well worth it!
Also replaced the mirror and back itself from an online company at a fraction of the Hymer price - totally fine,

John:thumb:

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Hi, any chance of details of the on line company?

Thanks

Hmmm, thought someone might ask that. I did have quick look when I posted on the forum but couldn't find the receipt.
I'll have a better look around later today but give me some time as I've got to go out shortly.
:Smile:

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Hi, any chance of details of the on line company?

Thanks

I had to change a broken wing mirror, went on ebay thinking it would come under ducato, found one at £60 manual or £160 electric. Sent pics of mine and turned out it was an iveco, cost was £19.99
Company was called Magnumvr, very helpfull spoke to a lady on the phone who told me it was an iveco and a lot cheaper.
Hope this helps.

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Hmmm, thought someone might ask that. I did have quick look when I posted on the forum but couldn't find the receipt.
I'll have a better look around later today but give me some time as I've got to go out shortly.
:Smile:

Sorry, no sign of receipt in house therefore must be in the Motorhome which is in storage at the moment!
However, the box IS here, and like PaulyP is says 'Magnum' and I also spoke to an extremely helpful lady - so, likely to be same company.
Our van is a 2000 reg Hymer, B584. The manual wing-mirror was part DAF 760028 (Mirror Head) and says on box to fit: Daf CF, Daf XF, Foden 250 and Foden 350. Also mentions a part Nr: 7005-0101-03.
Hope some of that helps, the cost was between £20-30 I seem to remember.

John:Cool:

OP
OP
con-tiki

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
Managed to remove mirror unit and put safely away.....The bolts were very hard to remove.....

Next problem is trying to remove the bolt.....might end up taking it to someone who is able to remove it without damaging the arm.....

Shirl

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Sorry, no sign of receipt in house therefore must be in the Motorhome which is in storage at the moment!
However, the box IS here, and like PaulyP is says 'Magnum' and I also spoke to an extremely helpful lady - so, likely to be same company.
Our van is a 2000 reg Hymer, B584. The manual wing-mirror was part DAF 760028 (Mirror Head) and says on box to fit: Daf CF, Daf XF, Foden 250 and Foden 350. Also mentions a part Nr: 7005-0101-03.
Hope some of that helps, the cost was between £20-30 I seem to remember.

John:Cool:

Just had to post to say, took the grandchildren to Llandudno on Monday and forgot to turn the mirrors in, someone caught it and smashed smaller wing mirror, phoned these people this afternoon, spoke to very helpful and knowledge young lady, new mirror on the way.
On the Hymers not standard mirrors so the help was much appreciated.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back